Kelsay

If we let Kelsay go, what type of cap hit? Did he receive a large signing bonus?

Give Batten/Moats an opportunity to start this year...

So long Whitner, and hopefully Kelsay too...

There has not been a cap for over a year now. Batten/Moats had an opportunity to start last year, and will again this year, they have to compete for it. Just like every other player every year. And no, Kelsay did not receive a large signing bonus. After this coming season, I am confidant that he will be traded for something.

Edited by BuffaloBill

Awesome post. Kelsay has value as a 4-3 DE, a formation I anticipate them using half the time. Nix and Gailey appreciate his leadership, he aint goin nowhere.

Agreed, as bad as he played standing up he actually had some decent games playing in a 4-3 DE role. He was kind of my "whipping boy" early in the year but even I can admit when we started running a 4-3 scheme he played some of his best football as a Bill last year. Still doesn't justify the contract the front office gave him but he does have a role in our defense as long as we continue to run a hybrid 3-4/4-3.

Edited by Stl Bills

he got that extension, to show players that if you shut your mouth, work hard and let a good example on and off the field. you will be rewarded. alot of players B word when they have to switch from 4-3 to 3-4, kelsey went all in, granted he was terrible as a linebacker but he was rewarded for his effort, in hopes other players more talented players will follow his example. for example: the bills wanting to resign florance and let twhitner walk

Awesome post. Kelsay has value as a 4-3 DE, a formation I anticipate them using half the time. Nix and Gailey appreciate his leadership, he aint goin nowhere.

Kelsay has certainly been a whipping boy, and most of the time, it has been deserved. However, I think he actually played about as well as I have ever seen him play, down for down, over the last five or six games last season. I sometimes think that a lot of defensive talent has gone to waste in Buffalo, as the defensive schemes just don't fit the strengths of the players we have...during the Jauron years, I am not even sure that our best players were always on the field...

he got that extension, to show players that if you shut your mouth, work hard and let a good example on and off the field. you will be rewarded. alot of players B word when they have to switch from 4-3 to 3-4, kelsey went all in, granted he was terrible as a linebacker but he was rewarded for his effort, in hopes other players more talented players will follow his example. for example: the bills wanting to resign florance and let twhitner walk

Amazing. Can't believe this is the first time I heard someone refer to him as such. From now on on this board, he shall be known as "Twittner."

Kelsay has certainly been a whipping boy, and most of the time, it has been deserved. However, I think he actually played about as well as I have ever seen him play, down for down, over the last five or six games last season. I sometimes think that a lot of defensive talent has gone to waste in Buffalo, as the defensive schemes just don't fit the strengths of the players we have...during the Jauron years, I am not even sure that our best players were always on the field...

Once we went to the 4-3 we looked a lot better on DL with all of our guys and Kelsay was actually very good pressuring the QB on passing downs. In a 3-4 he was pitiful.

Amazing. Can't believe this is the first time I heard someone refer to him as such. From now on on this board, he shall be known as "Twittner."

Actually Metz, that's an old one…his Twitter name is actually something like Twhitner so it's a natural.

A more recent play on words and just as good if not better (and I can't remember who came up with it) was this one:

"You can't spell Whitner without whine"

Another fan with no clue. There has not been a cap for over a year now. Batten/Moats had an opportunity to start last year, and will again this year, they have to compete for it. Just like every other player every year. And no, Kelsay did not receive a large signing bonus. After this coming season, I am confidant that he will be traded for something.

Oh so sorry that we all cant be as informed as you Mr Reality Check! We are all a fan of the same team why do you have to be so insulting.

Kelsey gets all the trash talk, but he was arguably our best LB PERIOD last year (I know, that doesn't say much). I really don't understand crap thrown his way. Have people actually watched him play? He was the only one big enough to actually make tackles at the line, and towards the end of the year really seemed to grasp pass rushing out of the 3-4.

There was a reason why he was always in the game. Suggesting Moats/Batten could start in his place is a little ridiculous to me. Moats shows some pass rushing ability but looked absolutely lost and confused in all other situations. IMO, he was a horribly bad tackler in the open field, and had no coverage skills. Moats is a good situational player, thats it. Batten is a late round pick who has never played in the NFL, and is a conversion guy...I just hope the guy can fit in as a backup/SP teams guy, let alone start.

Is Kelsey a "great" 3-4 LB? No. Does he do the job, and is he the best OLB the bills have other than Merriman? Yes.

Ironically I think he and Williams (despite the fact he shouldn't be a NT, too small) were the only members of the front 7 holding their own last year.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'll say this Turbo…

Kelsay improved, partly because the Bills played more 4-3 and partly because he got more acclimated to playing linebacker.

My specific observation of Kelsay as a linebacker is that he's still a bit too clunky and doesn't "break down" on his tackles well.

There were numerous times last season where he was right there to make a play…did everything right…but then missed the tackle. But he was close to big plays a bunch of times.

Also, he continued his maddening propensity to lose outside containment and get fooled by misdirection. To be generous to Kelsay, I think that's partly because he is one of those players that plays with an insane intensity and tends to overreact to plays. Like Spiller learning to be patient as a runner, Kelsay, when he plays the second level, needs to actually tone it down a bit and be more disciplined in his assignments.

I don't know and am not assured that he will take the next step and become a good linebacker. Some guys just can't play in space.

JMO.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'll say this Turbo…

Kelsay improved, partly because the Bills played more 4-3 and partly because he got more acclimated to playing linebacker.

My specific observation of Kelsay as a linebacker is that he's still a bit too clunky and doesn't "break down" on his tackles well.

There were numerous times last season where he was right there to make a play…did everything right…but then missed the tackle. But he was close to big plays a bunch of times.

Also, he continued his maddening propensity to lose outside containment and get fooled by misdirection. To be generous to Kelsay, I think that's partly because he is one of those players that plays with an insane intensity and tends to overreact to plays. Like Spiller learning to be patient as a runner, Kelsay, when he plays the second level, needs to actually tone it down a bit and be more disciplined in his assignments.

I don't know and am not assured that he will take the next step and become a good linebacker. Some guys just can't play in space.

JMO.

Yeah I hear you. I'm by no means saying he's a great option at OLB, I am saying that currently the Bills have no better option. You can rotate moats in, but if you think Kelsey can't tackle in the open field, watch moats...The Bills are really weak at the position, and unfortunately no one on the team has proven they can play the position every down better than Kelsey.

Oh so sorry that we all cant be as informed as you Mr Reality Check! We are all a fan of the same team why do you have to be so insulting.

i hear ya! the accuracy "police" on here are tiresome , just another internet "tough guy", has to insult someone to prop himself up..

kelsay gets three mil total in '12 - a bargain for a starting player and very reasonable for a quality rotation guy

he was the good soldier and gave it his all at lb - and failed miserably

but once they put his hand back on the ground he was one of the bills most consistently effective players

he will play a lot this season. after that he either renegotiates to stay here (when the back-heavy portion of his contract starts to kick in), or he gets traded or released

a great employee, a good leader, and a decent player. i hope he renegotiates so he can stay on as a rotational/backup guy until he retires

I wouldn't fret too much about Kelsay. Yes, he was abused at OLB and totally exposed in coverage, but he's a serviceable DE. It's not like the Bills hit him with the franchise tag or tossed Patrick Willis money at him. Hes been a loyal Bill for years who gave it his all and did what was asked of him.

As an employer you like to reward those types to demonstrate that you're committed to your players. I know the NFL is no place for sentiment (New England certainly wouldn't have made the same move), but its not like FAs are lining up at the gates of OBD asking to play for the Bills. In the grand scheme, moves like the Kelsay signing, albeit baffling at the time, are a small investment toward building a good reputation. One which will hopefully pay dividends in the near future.

Besides, his Celino & Barnes commercial is excellent. It really looked like it was his first time holding a football. He genuinely seemed scared of the thing.