a different dareus topic.

way back when the bills had a defense that put fear into their opponants, bruce smith would be moved up and down the line to create confusion as well as match-up problems. with the size and ability that marcell dareus has, is there any chance that we could see this philosophy employed in the upcoming season? i think it could be very interesting especially because of the multiple front hybrid defense combined with players that are "scheme diverse". thoughts?

Eventually, it would be sweet!

I would hate like he** to see this kind of scheme employed in this upcoming season. Reason: Dareus is a rookie adjusting to the NFL just like any other rookie. We hope Sheppard will crack the starting lineup. We have other young players who are just learning their roles (Troup, Carrington). Let them do a good job learning one role thoroughly and well before we ask them to learn multiple roles. Even if one or two of them are absolutely smart enough to "get it", to really shine 11 people have to be on the same page.

Suh and Fairley are much more lethal than Williams and Dareus. We are not even in the same league. This is the same line of BS this board posted after last seasons draft predicting the playoffs only to start 0&8 or something crappy like that. Our best hope for the D line is that Troupe develops into an every down player and Williams keep splaying hard. Williams is solid but hardly intimidating. We should expect about 3 maybe 4 sacks from Dareus. That Williams shines on this team is because the defense is so bad that an average player looks fabulous. PEOPLE, this team still sucks, we added one starting DE but he will be a rookie and still learning, we added a second round DB that will replace a 4th round DB in the nickel, we a re adding a 3rd round LB that will be a slight upgrade as a rookie over what we had last year, if he starts. That is it. This team and this defense is not ready for prime time. We will have a great shot at Luck.

Might as well fast forward to the 2012 draft and take Luck then. :rolleyes:

That Williams shines on this team is because the defense is so bad that an average player looks fabulous.

whaaatt? kyle williams would be a force in whatever defense you put him in.

The late round pick from last year that got all the buzz was Levi Brown.

I don't remember Brown getting much buzz. But even if he did…look at the pinned draft pick topics on the main board…

Mike Jasper has had more replies than any of our draft picks. More than Dareus even.

That's a helluva lot more buzz than any late draftee or undrafted free agent has ever gotten around here.

The buzz is on a whole other level.

I don't remember Brown getting much buzz. But even if he did…look at the pinned draft pick topics on the main board…

Mike Jasper has had more replies than any of our draft picks. More than Dareus even.

That's a helluva lot more buzz than any late draftee or undrafted free agent has ever gotten around here.

The buzz is on a whole other level.

absolutely, this guy is the biggest what if in what if season. in an offseason where we have no idea what the hell is going on on a defense we hope will improve signifigantly...here comes a reported near 400 lb super freak from parts unknown that could tear apart the nfl wearing the red, white and blue. i am extremely curious and excited about him...especially if he is playing next to marcell dareus, who is also very big, but very, very talented.

Edited by swnybillsfan

...That Williams shines on this team is because the defense is so bad that an average player looks fabulous....

How can you not see the complete conflict in this statement?

GO BILLS!!!

Williams, Jasper and Darius. That is more than 1000lbs of bull rush. Add Troupe on short yardage situations and you have well over 1300lbs. All of these guys are big and disruptive forces. Detroit doesn't have anything on this line. If there is an up and coming Defense in this league, it is Buffalo. Mark it down. We can revisit this thread later. Our team is getting better. Waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Williams, Jasper and Darius. That is more than 1000lbs of bull rush. Add Troupe on short yardage situations and you have well over 1300lbs. All of these guys are big and disruptive forces. Detroit doesn't have anything on this line. If there is an up and coming Defense in this league, it is Buffalo. Mark it down. We can revisit this thread later. Our team is getting better. Waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

i like your optimism, sir!

i like your optimism, sir!

Shoot, add Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington and we actually have depth if someone gets hurt or have a nice rotation to keep these big guys fresh. We just didn't have that last year. The Bills have quietly been building a dominating defense for two years and everyone is only looking at what we got this year. The addition of LBs, safeties and CBs all add up to an overall improvement in all phases of the defense. I don't know if we'll see Poz, Whitner or Florence back but if we do, we'll have one hell of a lot of depth and one hell of a lot of competition for starting jobs. George Edwards and Dave Wannstedt have got to be licking their chops right now. I know I am.

Edited by Rockinon

whaaatt? kyle williams would be a force in whatever defense you put him in.

I had that thought too. I appreciate the tempering of enthusiasm to point out that yes, we've drafted some promising players, they are rookies, they have to learn -- we're not "done already" like instant rice.

Let's not dis Williams though. He's a keeper. It's harder to be recognized as quality on a bad team than on a good team.

Williams had so many holes around him that he could be avoided. Lessens the intimidation factor a bit, not?

way back when the bills had a defense that put fear into their opponants, bruce smith would be moved up and down the line to create confusion as well as match-up problems. with the size and ability that marcell dareus has, is there any chance that we could see this philosophy employed in the upcoming season? i think it could be very interesting especially because of the multiple front hybrid defense combined with players that are "scheme diverse". thoughts?

I do remember that moving Bruce up and down the line would confound offenses. So would lining up Bruce on the right side every play. Bruce was the greatest defensive lineman to ever play the game.