a different dareus topic.

way back when the bills had a defense that put fear into their opponants, bruce smith would be moved up and down the line to create confusion as well as match-up problems. with the size and ability that marcell dareus has, is there any chance that we could see this philosophy employed in the upcoming season? i think it could be very interesting especially because of the multiple front hybrid defense combined with players that are "scheme diverse". thoughts?

I think there's a very strong possibility the bills will employ Dareus in this way. There's no question Dareus' versatility is one of his biggest assets. The Bills would be fools to not take advantage of it.

While many are swooning over the DT combo of Suh and Fairley in Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dareus-williams combo rivals that tandem's success.

I think there's a very strong possibility the bills will employ Dareus in this way. There's no question Dareus' versatility is one of his biggest assets. The Bills would be fools to not take advantage of it.

While many are swooning over the DT combo of Suh and Fairley in Detroit, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dareus-williams combo rivals that tandem's success.

i like that combo as well on the inside, and i'm intrigued as to what different packages they could come up with to get the most out of all our d-line guys, and if there are some succussful combos we will have to come up with worthy knicknames for these packages.

i like that combo as well on the inside, and i'm intrigued as to what different packages they could come up with to get the most out of all our d-line guys, and if there are some succussful combos we will have to come up with worthy knicknames for these packages.

I think you are forgetting about a guy named Jasper. Sure he's a 7th round flyer, but I have good feeling about this guy. Give him a year or to and I think he'll end up being a FORCE for us.... along with Dareus and Williams of course!

I would love to have seen Williams and Dareus in the middle with Bowers at RDE (and I guess Kelsay at LDE <_< ). That would have been an incredible DL (even better if they found a better LDE than Kelsay). Oh well.

I think you are forgetting about a guy named Jasper. Sure he's a 7th round flyer, but I have good feeling about this guy. Give him a year or to and I think he'll end up being a FORCE for us.... along with Dareus and Williams of course!

It seems like every year there's a player from the draft that people around here irrationally focus on and pin their hopes to. I guess this year it's Jasper. I hope he develops into an all-pro. I suspect by September we won't know his name.

It seems like every year there's a player from the draft that people around here irrationally focus on and pin their hopes to. I guess this year it's Jasper. I hope he develops into an all-pro. I suspect by September we won't know his name.

Who was it last year?

Just asking.

As Stevie Johnson would be happy to tell you, sometimes guys like that become some of your best players.

There are reasons why Bills fans are getting excited about Jasper. Jasper has a surprisingly low percentage of body fat for a man his size; as well as a lot more speed and athleticism than you'd expect from someone that big. Any time you see a guy with his traits, you have to think nose tackle. You just have to!

Playing nose tackle isn't rocket science. You just need to be big enough, strong enough, fast enough, and hungry enough that it takes two guys to block you. We know that Jasper is big enough, strong enough, and fast enough. The question is: is he hungry enough? ;)

Agreed!

Suh and Fairley are much more lethal than Williams and Dareus. We are not even in the same league. This is the same line of BS this board posted after last seasons draft predicting the playoffs only to start 0&8 or something crappy like that. Our best hope for the D line is that Troupe develops into an every down player and Williams keep splaying hard. Williams is solid but hardly intimidating. We should expect about 3 maybe 4 sacks from Dareus. That Williams shines on this team is because the defense is so bad that an average player looks fabulous. PEOPLE, this team still sucks, we added one starting DE but he will be a rookie and still learning, we added a second round DB that will replace a 4th round DB in the nickel, we a re adding a 3rd round LB that will be a slight upgrade as a rookie over what we had last year, if he starts. That is it. This team and this defense is not ready for prime time. We will have a great shot at Luck.

way back when the bills had a defense that put fear into their opponants, bruce smith would be moved up and down the line to create confusion as well as match-up problems. with the size and ability that marcell dareus has, is there any chance that we could see this philosophy employed in the upcoming season? i think it could be very interesting especially because of the multiple front hybrid defense combined with players that are "scheme diverse". thoughts?

Sure. Why not? Dareus will be a beast. He will need to be, since our LBs stink.

I'd take you up on that bet. I certainly have never read a story quite like Jasper's. He's not a pampered athlete who underperformed, or an idiot too dumb to understand what he needs to do. This has all the earmarkings of an incredible success story. NT is one of the easiest positions to play in football; Jasper blows the physical requirements of the position out of the water.