4 15 (114) Reggie Corner DB Akron B+; 18pdef, 1 int, 114 tkl, slot cb

4* 33 (132) Derek Fine TE Kansas F; IR 4ever, cut- Texans

5 12 (147) Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State F; IR knee injury, cut- Jags

6 13 (179) Xavier Omon RB NW Missouri St F; 49ers camp

7 12 (219) Demetrius Bell T NW State (La) B+; starting LT, improving

7 17 (224) Steve Johnson WR Kentucky A+; 12TDs, 1082 yds 2010

7* 44 (251) Kennard Cox DB Pittsburgh D; Sea SPteams

* - Compensatory pick

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/teams/bills.html#ixzz1L9T2hybN

Overall grade C-. Missing on the 2nd & 3rd rounders is terrible, just like playoff chances since they were acquired. These players need to be core contributors, they have been jettisoned. Finding a starting(on this team) LT and the breakout season for Stevie huge for 7th round finds. McKelvin is still inexperienced or he is just lacking brainpower, as he hasn’t figured out how turn athletic potential into playmaking ability. Corner is a good find in the 4th round. I think he’s our best slot corner. Overall 3 starters on a 4-12 team is a weak draft. Injuries essentially derailed this class’s potential.

Bad draft. D+ is my grade. You cannot blow the first 3 rounds like this.

First rounder McKelvin is inconsistent at CB and as a return man. not a natural player.

Picks 2 (Hardy) and 3 (Ellis) gave us zero production. Horrible.

Pick 4 - Corner has been a good backup and a decent nickel back.

Pick 4 - Fine -injured and whatever talent he had never emerged

Pcik 5 - Bowen - Injured and never got a shot

Pick 6 Omon - why did we pick him?

Pick 7 - Bell - Great developmental pick that looks like a servicable LT, not great at run blocking but when healthy is a good pass blocker. Can improve with time

Pick 7 - Johnson - Great pick. After sitting on the bench for a few years he looks to be a solid #2 WR.

Pilc 7 - Cox - did nothing.

Edited by Bob in STL

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a B

We got 3 starters (McKelvin, Johnston, Bell) and 1 reserve (corner)

(but it IS a picture of what is wrong with the team for years.......finding starters late and the guys in front of them being garbage)

This is what needs to change

Edited by John from Hemet

It is always better to look at a draft as a sum of its parts rather than on a pick-by-pick basis. For example, how many 6th or 7th round players even make the final roster? Not many. Hence, to grade such a player (like Cox or Omon) with a less than passing grade is a bit misleading. It doesn't really matter to me in what rounds they were drafted. (Think any Patriots fans are complaining about misses that the Pats may have made in the first 5 rounds of their 2000 draft?) The bottom line is that the Bills came away from that draft (to date) with an up and coming play-maker at WR, a decent starter at LT, a fringe starter at CB, and a nickel CB. So the overall C- sounds about right to me.

Also, does anyone know if the Bills picked up any decent UDFAs after the draft that year? They normally do.

Bad draft. D+ is my grade. You cannot blow the first 3 rounds like this.

No, you absolutely cannot. The 2006 draft was even much worse imo, but the good news is that Levy/Jauron are gone.

I was not pleased by the first pick of 2010 nor the second pick this year. That said, Nix/Gailey are still clearly superior to those two. Imo it isn't even close.

A C- and i feel like thats really generous

McKelvin is an adequate starter, Stevie and Bell have been nice. Ellis has more sacks than Maybin (1) and Corner has been a good nickel back

It's better than a C-. We got 2 starters, plus 2 regular players (Corner and McLovin). That's about league average. This class get DESTROYED with freak injuries.

It is an F for rounds 1 - 4. After three years an "elite" CB that is barely starting on a very poor defense and another CB that only plays in the nickel. Very huge misses on 2, 3 and the second 4. It is an A+ for rounds 5 - 7. Bell and Johnson.

Overall D.

I think we will find the 2011 draft to be very similar when rated three years hence. Dareus should be very good. Then two out of three between, Williams Hairston & Sheppard, make it, maybe we can have an A for 1-4 and then who cares about 5-7.

Its a B

We got 3 starters (McKelvin, Johnston, Bell) and 1 reserve (corner)

Oh man, I hope you're joking; otherwise I'd have loved you for a teacher. What a disaster. McKelvin sucks for the 11th pick.

Like someone else said I don't know how you can not give the Bell pick a passing grade. So what if he's a marginal starter or shouldn't be starting; most 7th rounders don't make the league.

Those first few picks are just awful though.

Hardy was a flavor of the month pick when the league and many on this board were clamoring for a tall wr in the wake of plaxico's super bowl winning Td grab.Steelers got sweed and panthers got jarrett on the same rationale. Really none of them has worked out.

Neither did Devon Thomas or Malcolm Kelly.

I didnt like the McKelvin pick simply because of the position he played but thought at the time he would be better then he has been

hated the Hardy pick and got ripped for it on this board for saying so...my guess is he never suits up in the NFL again

that is one awful draft even with Johnson

Hardy was a flavor of the month pick when the league and many on this board were clamoring for a tall wr in the wake of plaxico's super bowl winning Td grab.Steelers got sweed and panthers got jarrett on the same rationale. Really none of them has worked out.

DeShaun Jackson looks pretty good and he was avaiable with that pick!

Three starters out of ten picks. I don't care where they were drafted. Is that better, worse, or equal to the league average?

Three starters on this team does not mean they start for most other teams. My guess is only McKelvin starts for another team with a decent front 7 and Stevie is 4th WR since he doesn't play the slot WR.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

•  
  • 1 11 (11) Leodis McKelvin CB Troy University....B+
  • 2 10 (41) James Hardy WR Indiana................D-
  • 3 9 (72) Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech...........D
  • 4 15 (114) Reggie Corner DB Akron...............C+
  • 4* 33 (132) Derek Fine TE Kansas................D
  • 5 12 (147) Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State...........F
  • 6 13 (179) Xavier Omon RB NW Missouri St........D-
  • 7 12 (219) Demetrius Bell T NW State (La).......B-
  • 7 17 (224) Steve Johnson WR Kentucky............A
  • 7* 44 (251) Kennard Cox DB Pittsburgh...........F

Overall: C-

Slightly off topic but 2008 was an interesting draft year…especially in the 2nd round. There were no wideouts selected in the first round.

1. (32) Miami - Phillip Merling, DE Clemson

2. (33) St. Louis - Donnie Avery, WR Houston

3. (34) Washington (From Raiders through Falcons) - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State

4. (35) Kansas City - Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech

5. (36) Green Bay (From Jets) - Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State

6. (37) Atlanta - Curtis Lofton, LB Oklahoma

7. (38) Seattle (From Ravens) - John Carlson, TE Notre Dame

8. (39) San Francisco - Chilo Rachal, OG Southern Cal

9. (40) New Orleans - Tracy Porter, CB Indiana

10. (41) Buffalo - James Hardy, WR Indiana

11. (42) Denver - Eddie Royal, WR Virginia Tech

12. (43) Minnesota (From Panthers through Eagles) - Tyrell Johnson, FS Arkansas State

13. (44) Chicago - Matt Forte, RB Tulane

14. (45) Detroit - Jordon Dizon, OLB Colorado

15. (46) Cincinnati - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina

16. (47) Philadelphia (From Vikings) - Trevor Laws, DT Notre Dame

17. (48) Washington (From Texans through Falcons) - Fred Davis, TE USC

18. (49) Philadelphia - DeSean Jackson, WR California

19. (50) Arizona - Calais Campbell, DE Miami

20. (51) Washington - Malcolm Kelly, WR Oklahoma

21. (52) Jacksonville (From Buccaneers) - Quentin Groves, DE Auburn

22. (53) Pittsburgh - Limas Sweed, WR Texas

23. (54) Tennessee - Jason Jones, DE Eastern Michigan

24. (55) Baltimore (From Seahawks) - Ray Rice, RB Rutgers

25. (56) Green Bay (From Browns) - Brian Brohm, QB Louisville

26. (57) Miami (From Chargers) - Chad Henne, QB Michigan

BTW, for you fantasy footballers, Jerome Simpson had 18 receptions for 248 yards and 3 TDs against San Diego and Baltimore to end the season. Those games were his 2nd and 3rd career starts and he played only because of injuries to T.O. and Ochocinco.

DeShaun Jackson looks pretty good and he was avaiable with that pick!

That's true, but like Joe the 6 pack mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a huge clamor for the Bills to get a a big physical receiver. Desean Jackson was seen as another Smurf, of which we were loaded at the time. Obviously, he turned out better than Lee, Roscoe (whom I really like, especially his role in the offense in 2010) or Peerless.