What's the best Pizza place in the city?

Bill Cowher

Guest three3

three3's kitchen. aside from that, john and bob's. molino's on union in west seneca, not cheektowaga, was great but it closed

I cannot believe anyone actually thought I would think Little Caesers is the best pizza. But for $5 and if you're in a hurry - it is amazing.

However...The Loop in Charlotte is always fun...but that's not the same city.

Not sure my opinion matters as this is a Canadian perspective looking upon the Buffalo food scene, but just thinking about a cheese and pepperoni pizza from Bocce is making me salivate. We can't get pizza like that just north of the border. Love it!

As for the wings, to get the most crispy and juicy wings is to not deep fry them but to steam or boil them for 10 minutes. Take them out, pad them TOTALLY dry with paper towels. Then put them in the oven at 450 degrees for 40-50 minutes, turning them over half way through.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

As for the wings, to get the most crispy and juicy wings is to not deep fry them but to steam or boil them for 10 minutes. Take them out, pad them TOTALLY dry with paper towels. Then put them in the oven at 450 degrees for 40-50 minutes, turning them over half way through.

blasphemy (though I will try it one day)...throw them on the grill a bit (just a bit) after you fry them is also a nice little trick

Edited by dayman

blasphemy (though I will try it one day)...throw them on the grill a bit (just a bit) after you fry them is also a nice little trick

The keys:

1. Big meaty wings but not too big

2. Hot oil

3. Clean oil

And that's it.

Bocce's on Bailey no question....always ask for pep and banana peppers, x-tra sauce, lightly well done and it's perfect every time.

That's not to say that they're are the only ones who make a great pie...there are plenty of places who make a very respectable pizza all over the area...we're lucky, try getting a decent slice in N.California some time...it's impossible

Bocce's on Bailey no question....always ask for pep and banana peppers, x-tra sauce, lightly well done and it's perfect every time.

That's not to say that they're are the only ones who make a great pie...there are plenty of places who make a very respectable pizza all over the area...we're lucky, try getting a decent slice in N.California some time...it's impossible

Bwahahahahaha!!!! That's because what you refer to as pizza in WNY is so far removed from what ture original pizza is is laughable. Go to North Beach in SF and you'll get some of the best flat bread pizzas ever. What is served in places like Buffalo and Chicago are doughy greasy abominations. Hence my post that in Buffalo the best place to get pizza is the airport. Step one...leave the city.

oh Chef, I beg to differ. I travesred all of North Beach in October when I was in town for the NLCS(up and Columbus and such) and the slices I ate, while being passable, were no where near the taste of the pizza in WNY. I did have a blast at the North Star though...i'm sure you know where that place is Chef :)

Bwahahahahaha!!!! That's because what you refer to as pizza in WNY is so far removed from what ture original pizza is is laughable. Go to North Beach in SF and you'll get some of the best flat bread pizzas ever. What is served in places like Buffalo and Chicago are doughy greasy abominations. Hence my post that in Buffalo the best place to get pizza is the airport. Step one...leave the city.

flat bread pizza sucks.

and I'm pretty sure that the pizza you find in California is not particularly close to tasting like "true original pizza"

La Nova

La Hacienda

Bella is good too

Why are you here? You hate Buffalo and you hate the Bills and won't let anyone forget it. It's quite perplexing.

flat bread pizza sucks.

and I'm pretty sure that the pizza you find in California is not particularly close to tasting like "true original pizza"

"Original" pizza served in Naples is thin crust and very simple. It is almost cracker like. But go ahead and argue culinary history with a chef. :rolleyes:

La Nova

La Hacienda

Bella is good too

Why are you here? You hate Buffalo and you hate the Bills and won't let anyone forget it. It's quite perplexing.

Oh I like Buffalo I just don't like their pizza. Well now that I think about it I'm not real fond of Buffalo either.

oh Chef, I beg to differ. I travesred all of North Beach in October when I was in town for the NLCS(up and Columbus and such) and the slices I ate, while being passable, were no where near the taste of the pizza in WNY. I did have a blast at the North Star though...i'm sure you know where that place is Chef :)

Because you don't like thin, and I mean thin, crust pizza, which is how pizza was originally made. There is nothing wrong with that. I used to love WNY pizza too until I moved to SF.

"Original" pizza served in Naples is thin crust and very simple. It is almost cracker like. But go ahead and argue culinary history with a chef. :rolleyes:

How many times have you been to Naples? I can slap tomato sauce on a saltine...is that like "original pizza"? You're just a tad bit pretentious, eh?

How many times have you been to Naples? I can slap tomato sauce on a saltine...is that like "original pizza"? You're just a tad bit pretentious, eh?

I've also never been to Emilia-Romagna but I know how they make prosciutto di parma. Better to be pretentious than ignorant.

Saying WNY pizza is not pizza is an elitist take. Pizza is simply a flat bread, cheese tomatoes and other toppings. How flat the bread is not important - only to ones tastes. Its still pizza!

I never said it wasn't pizza. It's just a terrible rendition of the original. I prefer the original. Now does that mean I won't eat pizza when in WNY. Hell no. As they say pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad it's good.

Edited by Chef Jim

Keep on keepin' on Chef. I haven't been disgusted by my Buffalo food experiences don't get me wrong (I do love food though so it's not hard to please me) but by no means has been better than other places...and the pizza IMO is below average. Hell...even the wings I've had at various places were comparable to a good wing place anywhere else. Food is food, it can be good or bad based on the place you eat at no matter the area of the country. The "food in Buffalo" is...just food. If you ask me you really need to be by the beach to have "great food." But that's me...seafood is about the only thing IMO that simply must be fresh...and can only be fresh in certain areas.

Keep on keepin' on Chef. I haven't been disgusted by my Buffalo food experiences don't get me wrong (I do love food though so it's not hard to please me) but by no means has been better than other places...and the pizza IMO is below average. Hell...even the wings I've had at various places were comparable to a good wing place anywhere else. Food is food, it can be good or bad based on the place you eat at no matter the area of the country. The "food in Buffalo" is...just food. If you ask me you really need to be by the beach to have "great food." But that's me...seafood is about the only thing IMO that simply must be fresh...and can only be fresh in certain areas.

It really boils down to what we're used to and grew up with pizza. I grew up with greasy doughy WNY pizza which I Ioved. Then I was introduced to this Neapolitan pizza. At first I thought I was not going to like it and then I tried it. It's amazing, but that's just me. Classic Neapolitan pizza (yes where pizza is said to have originated) is crispy crust, sliced tomatoes (not tomato sauce), fresh mozzarella cheese (not grated crap cheese) and basil (fresh basil, not dried from a can). Also known as pizza margherita.

Edited by Chef Jim

It really boils down to what we're used to and grew up with pizza. I grew up with greasy doughy WNY pizza which I Ioved. Then I was introduced to this Neapolitan pizza. At first I thought I was not going to like it and then I tried it. It's amazing, but that's just me. Classic Neapolitan pizza (yes were pizza is said to have originated) is crispy crust, sliced tomatoes (not tomato sauce), fresh mozzarella cheese (not grated crap cheese) and basil (fresh basil, not dried from a can). Also known as pizza margherita.

Agreed that a good and crisp margherita pie is as good as pizza gets.

I don't even like tomato sauce give me an alternative base w/ sliced tomatoes any day. Pesto for instance. Nice thin crust, w/ pesto base, cooked onion, garlic, and maybe some red pepper. MMMM. Spinach dip base can be great too. And honestly, and I know this may be controversial...but a lot of the meat people put on pizza ****s it up.

I don't even like tomato sauce give me an alternative base w/ sliced tomatoes any day. Pesto for instance. Nice thin crust, w/ pesto base, cooked onion, garlic, and maybe some red pepper. MMMM. Spinach dip base can be great too. And honestly, and I know this may be controversial...but a lot of the meat people put on pizza ****s it up.

I created a pizza that I called a Tuscan pizza. I had no tomato sauce. What I did was cook some white beans until very soft and pureed them with tomatoes, garlic and herbs and spread that on the dough before backing. I topped it with homemade sausage and cheese. I thought is was really good but it didn't sell too well.

You Polish Buffalonians might love this. Its really good!

Pierogi Pizza

Flat Crust Pizza Dough - Homemade or store purchased

Sour cream or Creme fraiche

1 sliced white onion

Bacon cut into cubes

1 Potato small dice

Mix of shredded mozzarella and gruyere cheese

Slice one white onion, throw a little butter in the pan and cook the onions until golden brown. This might take a while. What you want is GOLDEN BROWN! Set aside.

Cook the cut bacon in a pan halfway. Partially crispy and until most of the fat has rendered away. Set aside.

Get a pot full of salted water, bring to boil. Blanch diced potato in water until tender (fully cooked) and then place in a ice bath. Drain and pad dry potatoes once cooled. You can crisp the potatoes in the pan that has bacon fat if you want.

Assembly:

Spread sour cream or cream fraiche over the pizza dough. Spread the caramelized onions on top of that. Spread evenly the bacon and diced potatoes. Spread the cheese mixture over everthing evenly to taste.

Place in oven (follow the instructions for your homemade or store purchased dough). The dough should be crisp and the top of the pizza should be a bit golden brown.

Enjoy!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

So any thing on a piece of bread is a pizza?

That reminds me of something. I don't know if any of you remember but years ago when Wolfgang Puck was just starting his frozen pizza line the FDA said he couldn't call one of his pizzas pizza seeing it didn't have tomatoes on it. Man the government sucks.

Hey I might just win the pool for getting a OTW thread moved to PPP. :thumbsup:

It wouldn't be the first thread moved if that's what you're thinking.

Oh no. We just had a deal going over there to see who could get a OTW thread moved to PPP. But I upped the ante and doubled the pot for the first person to get a PPP thread moved HERE. Now that would be a feat!

Oh no. We just had a deal going over there to see who could get a OTW thread moved to PPP. But I upped the ante and doubled the pot for the first person to get a PPP thread moved HERE. Now that would be a feat!

Bribery might help

That's quite a vagina you've got there.

Edited by Mr. Dink

I'm telling you guys I am not against meat on Pizza but honestly you would be shocked how much it ruins "truly good pizza" all too often. Not good. Good meat is good meat and reasonable amounts of good meant well matched on a pizza is fine. But 99.9% of the time it's not good meat you get on pizza. Various veggie pizza's are worth a shot...also...go thin crust.

I am currently visiting in North Buffalo. Today, I tried Pasquales at 3720 Seneca Street in West Seneca. Very good pizza and wings!

http://www.buffalogoesout.com/pasquales/

The pizza at Bob and John's La Hacienda in North Buffalo seems to have slipped. New owners? New management? The subs and wings are still very good. And the all-you-can-eat spaghetti on Monday and Tuesday nights is always great -for $2.25!!!