Squirrels in pools (RIP)

TSNBDSC

... found out two things ... squirrels can't swim and I hate fishin' them out ... so, how do I keep them away ? ... I don't have a shotgun (then my pool would leak too) ... also, do I need to put in 100 pounds of shock now ? ...funny,useless responses welcome ... tom

I'm usually good for a snake and a toad or two in my pool every year. Never had a squirrel though. Unless the squirrel was decomposing I wouldn't see a need to go overboard on the shock - maybe dose it two consecutive days just to be certain. If you really want to be anal about it clean your filter thoroughly after the first dose.

I found out at a very young age that cats could swim. And I was not content at my young age to assume this was the case after one try. I dropped that little bastard (well it was almost as big as I was) in on several occasions. :devil:

Serial killers are known to start on family pets ... :unsure:

... found out two things ... squirrels can't swim and I hate fishin' them out ... so, how do I keep them away ? ... I don't have a shotgun (then my pool would leak too) ... also, do I need to put in 100 pounds of shock now ? ...funny,useless responses welcome ... tom

as a beagle owner, I would say enclose the pool area and put a beagle in there. Squirrels, rabbits, cats, harleys and garbage trucks will all be chased away. Altho, you will have to clean up everyday, but it wont be in the water. :)

I'll give ya the 1st serious answer. Check with your local animal control and see if they will loan you a trap. Bait it with some apples, grapes and nuts, then relocate them to a wooded area. My wife has been doing this for the last week and we're down to one squirrel left from what was more than ten. Good luck. BTW we have seen a squirrel swim across the lake in our backyard, probably close to 50 yards.

After 45 years of fishing out chipmunks, squirrels, mice, etc. finally found the solution...fill it in!

I'll give ya the 1st serious answer. Check with your local animal control and see if they will loan you a trap. Bait it with some apples, grapes and nuts, then relocate them to a wooded area. My wife has been doing this for the last week and we're down to one squirrel left from what was more than ten. Good luck. BTW we have seen a squirrel swim across the lake in our backyard, probably close to 50 yards.

Great idea, I use a have a heart trap, with a small twist.

After the little squirrels get caught in the trap, I put them in a nice big trash can while they're still in the trap...........

Did I forget to mention that the garbage can is full of water. The little suckers keep getting in my attic, so I take a rather drastic approach, I relocate them to the afterlife. Down to just a few squirrels.

I found out at a very young age that cats could swim. And I was not content at my young age to assume this was the case after one try. I dropped that little bastard (well it was almost as big as I was) in on several occasions. :devil:

A born scientist. Must show reproducible results!

Do you own a Bently?

It sounds like you have an above ground pool? If this is the case the best thing to do is to cover the pool. Also, rodents can swim, but when they get into the pool they can't get back out, eventually becoming tired, and then their demise. You could also put a ladder in the pool or devise something that would allow the rodents to escape.

We had a tree rat problem, and in the winter we covered the pool, in the summer we put a couple of heavy ropes in the pool so that they would have something to "climb" out on. We placed 4 ropes around the pool and anchored each rope to the lip on the side of the pool with a rock or brick. A couple still drowned, but most got back out.

It sounds like you have an above ground pool? If this is the case the best thing to do is to cover the pool. Also, rodents can swim, but when they get into the pool they can't get back out, eventually becoming tired, and then their demise. You could also put a ladder in the pool or devise something that would allow the rodents to escape.

We had a tree rat problem, and in the winter we covered the pool, in the summer we put a couple of heavy ropes in the pool so that they would have something to "climb" out on. We placed 4 ropes around the pool and anchored each rope to the lip on the side of the pool with a rock or brick. A couple still drowned, but most got back out.

We're having that problem here in Va Beach also.

Great idea, I use a have a heart trap, with a small twist.

After the little squirrels get caught in the trap, I put them in a nice big trash can while they're still in the trap...........

Did I forget to mention that the garbage can is full of water. The little suckers keep getting in my attic, so I take a rather drastic approach, I relocate them to the afterlife. Down to just a few squirrels.

+1. After what those little f--kers did in my uncle's attic, my neighbor's summer house (got in through his chimney somehow, tore up curtains, shredded carpet and broke nearly every dish in the place), my "bird" feeder, plus when they go over every inch of my garden and dig up seeds/roots, I have zero sympathy for these neurotic bushy-tailed rats.

I take pot-shots with a small BB gun from time to time, which is enough faze, but it's not enough to kill.