If the Bills end up picking 3rd, it will be the richest contract in Bu

Scrappy

I think that even a chance of this relegates the Bills to moving back in the draft.

A wage scale for rookies is sure to be part of a new collective-bargaining agreement in the NFL. Both owners and players have presented proposals to reduce the huge guaranteed contracts that are given to top first-round picks in the NFL Draft. However, if the labor stalemate drags on into the summer, it may be hard to institute a rookie wage scale for the 2011 season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article394094.ece

A wage scale for rookies is sure to be part of a new collective-bargaining agreement in the NFL. Both owners and players have presented proposals to reduce the huge guaranteed contracts that are given to top first-round picks in the NFL Draft. However, if the labor stalemate drags on into the summer, it may be hard to institute a rookie wage scale for the 2011 season.

I wish they would explain why they believe this, because it makes no sense to me. The players can't sign contracts until there is a new CBA, so what sense would it make to have it start with the 2012 draft?

That said I'd be all for trading down and getting extra picks.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Not sure I know how I should behave on this one. After witnessing Ralph's ambivelence, reaping the worst decade in Bills history and no light at the end of the tunnel, part of me would absolutely love to see see mr. Ralph take it in the shorts big time. But then again, there's a part of me that wants to see this work. Sad thing is, at the end of every draft, we all get "woodies" and somehow "billieve" the Bills are going to launch their way to the top of the division, regardless of the cold hard evidence. Then during preseason, the Bills bring us back to reality and once again we suffer through yet another miserable season.

Not sure I know how I should behave on this one. After witnessing Ralph's ambivelence, reaping the worst decade in Bills history and no light at the end of the tunnel, part of me would absolutely love to see see mr. Ralph take it in the shorts big time. But then again, there's a part of me that wants to see this work. Sad thing is, at the end of every draft, we all get "woodies" and somehow "billieve" the Bills are going to launch their way to the top of the division, regardless of the cold hard evidence. Then during preseason, the Bills bring us back to reality and once again we suffer through yet another miserable season.

You've basically described us as kidnapping victims that have been so mind-messed that we now agree with our captors cause.

I wish they would explain why they believe this, because it makes no sense to me. The players can't sign contracts until there is a new CBA, so what sense would it make to have it start with the 2012 draft?

I agree. The 2011 rookies will likely be subjected to a true rookie wage scale.

That said I'd be all for trading down and getting extra picks.

My thought is, after teh draft, all the rookie wont want a cap and they will be able to take part in the negotiations. Prior to the draft, they shouldnt be able to have much input (thay arent in the NFL yet). Because everyone is selfish, I feel the middle ground will be to allow a rookie cap, starting next year.

My thought is, after teh draft, all the rookie wont want a cap and they will be able to take part in the negotiations. Prior to the draft, they shouldnt be able to have much input (thay arent in the NFL yet). Because everyone is selfish, I feel the middle ground will be to allow a rookie cap, starting next year.

If they're lawyers involved, you know it's going to take longer.

3 teams directly below us that want a QB more than CIN.

Unless the Panthers and Broncos both pass on Newton, I just don't see anyway the Bills are able to trade the pick.

Who would be willing to trade away their 1st and 2nd round pick for the an unproven and highly questionable franchise QB in Gabbert? I just don't see that happening.

I think he goes to the 49ers. Gabbert reminds me a lot of Jim Harbaugh. Very similar personalities. Plus, Harbaugh just gave Alex Smith a huge vote of confidence!!!! Lock it in, Gabbert's a 49er...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that's correct. There's no players union anymore, so they're not represented at the bargaining table. The NFLPA is now a trade association, but without a contract, how can they be considered part of that association? I think that's why the players included Von Miller as part of the class action suit prior to the draft.

I think that even a chance of this relegates the Bills to moving back in the draft.

I absolutely disagree. Ralph Wilson has never "traded down" out of a top 5 pick and I can't imagine him doing it now at 93 freakin' years old. The man is still alive last I heard, he still knows what is going on last I heard, and he is still the owner, last I heard.

I don't see Nix trading down - I see him choosing the best player on his board at number 3 to help the Bills improve as much as possible. Period.

I absolutely disagree. Ralph Wilson has never "traded down" out of a top 5 pick and I can't imagine him doing it now at 93 freakin' years old. The man is still alive last I heard, he still knows what is going on last I heard, and he is still the owner, last I heard.

I don't see Nix trading down - I see him choosing the best player on his board at number 3 to help the Bills improve as much as possible. Period.

In 1987 the Bills traded down from the 3rd to 8th spot and drafted Shane Conlan.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it's quite logical, we'll see soon enough & revisit this.

That's exactly what I'm saying - YOU think it's logical. But just because you and Gaughan think it's possible doesn't make it so.

We'll find out eventually, but saying "it will be the richest contract in Bills History" and it means we're moving back in the draft is pure speculation and worry about something we needn't worry about...

In 1987 the Bills traded down from the 3rd to 8th spot and drafted Shane Conlan.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow, you got me on that one. Nice catch. :worthy: Two points about that '87 draft run by Bill Polian: He got the linebacker he wanted still within the top 10 in Conlan (and if Nix traded down with this top heavy talent rich group within the top 10, that will be fine with me and I don't think he will do it based on saving money only!). Secondly, later on that season, Polian convinced Ralph Wilson to pay an unheard of million dollar signing bonus to Cornelius Bennett, the linebacker he really coveted in the draft that year in an amazing trade he worked with the Colts who could not sign Bennett. Certainly Ralph was not worried about saving money to sign that rookie!

Wow, you got me on that one. Nice catch. :worthy: Two points about that '87 draft run by Bill Polian: He got the linebacker he wanted still within the top 10 in Conlan (and if Nix traded down with this top heavy talent rich group within the top 10, that will be fine with me and I don't think he will do it based on saving money only!). Secondly, later on that season, Polian convinced Ralph Wilson to pay an unheard of million dollar signing bonus to Cornelius Bennett, the linebacker he really coveted in the draft that year in an amazing trade he worked with the Colts who could not sign Bennett. Certainly Ralph was not worried about saving money to sign that rookie!

Polian also got House Ballard in like the 10th or 11th round.

That's exactly what I'm saying - YOU think it's logical. But just because you and Gaughan think it's possible doesn't make it so.

We'll find out eventually, but saying "it will be the richest contract in Bills History" and it means we're moving back in the draft is pure speculation and worry about something we needn't worry about...

Ralph isn't in the market to pay a unknown guy $45 Million for sure, it's just not Buffalonian like. Even if we draft the next coming of Christ, Ralph will say too much after 5 years & curb him anyways.

That WAS a great year indeed! Ralph ponied up for two top 10 picks and gave that unprecedented bonus to Biscuit. Nate Odoms! RW has shown throughout the years that if you make the case for a player he'll step up to the plate. So much for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd.

GO BILLS!!!

That WAS a great year indeed! Ralph ponied up for two top 10 picks and gave that unprecedented bonus to Biscuit. Nate Odoms! RW has shown throughout the years that if you make the case for a player he'll step up to the plate. So much for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd.

Oh my God, I had to peel myself off the floor. Have you been to the stadium lately & seen it's condition ?? The bathrooms are aweful & the whole I am cement pose was played out 35 years ago. Maybe the owners will agree to spend within 10% of the cap, which should give us about $23 Million extra to spend, so much for the "Ralph is a spender" crowd.

This is my pick for tonight, we move back & spin it as a deal to help us go forward. It will help us go forward, cheaply.

Edited by Scrappy

This is my pick for tonight, we move back & spin it as a deal to help us go forward. It will help us go forward, cheaply.

Stop now. Your argument is specious. Not to mention it isn't backed up by historical fact. We may indeed trade down but it won't be for financial reasons. It WILL be to get more picks and make the team better.

GO BILLS!!!

Stop now. Your argument is specious. Not to mention it isn't backed up by historical fact. We may indeed trade down but it won't be for financial reasons. It WILL be to get more picks and make the team better.

GO BILLS!!!

We traded back for Shane Conlan, just for the historical side coverage.

We also traded for the guy picked #2 in the same draft & paid him big $.

I wish all these Ralph is cheap posts cloaked in other words would just stop. If you want to post a Ralph is cheap post & list all the cheap things he's done, fine just do it. Here, I'll get it started-The only NFL owner in the modern era to lose the #1 pick in the draft to the CFL-Ralph is cheap!

No kidding. I was the one that posted the Conlan info in this thread yesterday.

I am referring to the historical fact that RW has NEVER shied away from drafting a player because of money concerns. That's the point you want to make and the one that isn't backed up historically.

GO BILLS!!!