bills on the clock...espn weighs in

this is so espn and national media...always saying things like name five bills....noone can do that outside of western new york...here is the bills on the clock and then i am going to find the one that was on espn today and watch what is said by dilfer when mortensen says the bills believe they can win with fitzy...he laughs in our face....http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12383/video-on-the-clock-bills this one was eariler im looking for the one from today....saying in this one to blow up our offensive line,,,if it wasnt for woody getting hurt and moving our players around so much...levitre to other side...we would of been ok....

here is todays that i am talking about...all this is-is a repeat...i do agree with kiper though that we will take miller at number 3....just listen to these guy rip fitzy and dilfer sounding like lets move on and not talk about this team...god i cant stand him...

http://search.espn.go.com/bills-on-the-clock/

We're a small market team that hasnt seen the playoffs in over a decade. Why would they want to talk about us?

There's only one person to blame for all of the disrespect we tolerate, Ralph.

Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but even before Pegula took over the Sabres, they always got love from announcers on every network. I watched a Sabres/Thrashers game on a local Atlanta station recently and you wouldve thought the Atlanta announcers were working for MSG. All the analysts on NHL Network and VS love the team and the city. Why?

Well, Buffalo is the "Dallas" of the NHL. Great hockey town, and a team that makes the playoffs even on an up-and-down year.

You want respect? Win. Be a stable, solid franchise that is able to scout and draft young talent.

Ralph has only been able to accomplish that during a very brief window in his entire history (thanks, Polian).

We're a small market team that hasnt seen the playoffs in over a decade. Why would they want to talk about us?

Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but even before Pegula took over the Sabres, they always got love from announcers on every network. I watched a Sabres/Thrashers game on a local Atlanta station recently and you wouldve thought the Atlanta announcers were working for MSG. All the analysts on NHL Network and VS love the team and the city. Why?

Well, Buffalo is the "Dallas" of the NHL. Great hockey town, and a team that makes the playoffs even on an up-and-down year.

You want respect? Win. Be a stable, solid franchise that is able to scout and draft young talent.

Ralph has only been able to accomplish that during a very brief window in his entire history (thanks, Polian).

very true here...but you dont have to act smug (dilfer and tirico not you) when talking about this team...you are so right though in the 90's we were the talk of the town...then the joke of the town after going 0-4...man i love this team so uch never lived in western new york and live in chicago...im am very passionate about my bills and just praying they do something right in this draft...literally praying...lol

bc the Bills are one of only 32 teams maybe?

Youd hope it would be that simple, but we all know it's not. They're not journalists or reporters. They're shills that work for an entertainment station that acts as one big commercial for the sports industry.

this is so espn and national media...always saying things like name five bills....noone can do that outside of western new york...here is the bills on the clock and then i am going to find the one that was on espn today and watch what is said by dilfer when mortensen says the bills believe they can win with fitzy...he laughs in our face....http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12383/video-on-the-clock-bills this one was eariler im looking for the one from today....saying in this one to blow up our offensive line,,,if it wasnt for woody getting hurt and moving our players around so much...levitre to other side...we would of been ok....

I watched this video and actually thought that, for ESPN, it was an unusually intelligent, thoughtful conversation. They said the Bills have a lot of needs, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I also thought they were very complimentary of Fitz. Dilfer said he was a good, but not great QB; he just thought Newton was a good fit. Kiper liked him even more, using words like "fearless."

And the Bills haven't been an elite team for a while now. Why is it wrong for them to say this?

Dilfer? He was a ****ty QB! Any success teams have had with him as QB was because he had a good team around him. He wasnt the reason for any success. He was a journeyman w a career qb rating of 70.2. If Montana, Young, Kelly, Marino or Moon want to criticize Fitzy they can. Not that moron journeyman.....

Dilfer? He was a ****ty QB! Any success teams have had with him as QB was because he had a good team around him. He wasnt the reason for any success. He was a journeyman w a career qb rating of 70.2. If Montana, Young, Kelly, Marino or Moon want to criticize Fitzy they can. Not that moron journeyman.....

That's basically what Dilfer said. Only chance a QB like him has of winning a championship is having one of the best defenses ever. Thought the segment was fair to the Bills and probably the discussion Nix and Gailey are having with themselves.

I watched this video and actually thought that, for ESPN, it was an unusually intelligent, thoughtful conversation. They said the Bills have a lot of needs, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I also thought they were very complimentary of Fitz. Dilfer said he was a good, but not great QB; he just thought Newton was a good fit. Kiper liked him even more, using words like "fearless."

And the Bills haven't been an elite team for a while now. Why is it wrong for them to say this?

I agree. I watched it and couldn't believe that it was an ESPN piece. Very objective, IMO. Even Mortensen wasn't his usual, snarky self towards the Bills. I don't know what the OP watched but I didn't see Dilfer cutting down the Bills. I saw him passionately advocating them drafting Cam Newton (with which I disagree). If anything, he put himself down by saying that you can't win without a franchise QB unless you have the defense he had with the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl. He doesn't think Fitz is a franchise QB and that Newton is. That remains to be seen but it wasn't a dig at the Bills.

That's basically what Dilfer said. Only chance a QB like him has of winning a championship is having one of the best defenses ever. Thought the segment was fair to the Bills and probably the discussion Nix and Gailey are having with themselves.

I have to agree. It as a good discussiona and accurate to where we are now. Dilfer was actually taking a dig at himself, and he's right. We'll need a killer defense to win a title just like he needed. As fans, we have to understand that not every national mention of us is wrong. I'm no media lover but in all fairness, there is a truth to what they are saying and I would rather be having them talk about us than ingoring us. I also saw a healthy respect for Chan Gailey from those guys.

Before I didn't want the Bills to draft Newton. But after hearing Dilfer make that pitch it makes me wonder if there is something in the kid that is special. Dilfer wasn't the best QB out there, and he even admitted it with his comment about the Ravens D and the Super Bowl.

Of course, it isn't going to matter if the Panthers select Newton, or Denver trades down with a QB hungry club.

Random over-sensitive "ESPN hates us, everyone is against us" comment here with a little bit of "Mortenson always dogs us", "Kiper is a loser" and "we get no respect". And no, I didn't take the time to watch the video, I felt like I was better equipped to spout off based on the pure frustration over what I assumed was on there....

sarcasm over.

Truthfully, didn't disagree with a word they said, and really wish they would take a QB. But, the fact remains, they made it sound like Newton will be there, when 99% of the draft experts now say he wont be. So, do you then take the 2nd best QB in a weak QB class with the 3rd pick, or take someone who is the best defensive player on your board who lines up opening day and helps you right away?

Whatever they do, some will hate it, others will love it, some will say that was the guy they wanted all along.

Random over-sensitive "ESPN hates us, everyone is against us" comment here with a little bit of "Mortenson always dogs us", "Kiper is a loser" and "we get no respect". And no, I didn't take the time to watch the video, I felt like I was better equipped to spout off based on the pure frustration over what I assumed was on there....

sarcasm over.

Truthfully, didn't disagree with a word they said, and really wish they would take a QB. But, the fact remains, they made it sound like Newton will be there, when 99% of the draft experts now say he wont be. So, do you then take the 2nd best QB in a weak QB class with the 3rd pick, or take someone who is the best defensive player on your board who lines up opening day and helps you right away?

Whatever they do, some will hate it, others will love it, some will say that was the guy they wanted all along.

Agreed...What did Dilfer say that was so wrong? He's 100% right...SOME Bills Fans have so completely forgotten what it takes to win a Championship they've bought into the drivel that is "We can Win a Championship with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB." :huh: Well...Sure it's true...You can win a Championship with Brady Quinn at QB too if you don't give up any points... :lol: Dilfer knew EXACTLY what he was talking about because he WAS Ryan Fitzpatrick in a way...And he knows 100% what kind of Defense and Defensive mentality the Bills are going to have to build in order to win a Championship with Fitz...And this just in Folks, it will be easier for The Bills to find that dynamic young QB than it will be to build that kind of Defense...Defenses like Baltimore's in Dilfer's year, Tampa Bay's when they Won it, and Chicago 86 are not exactly easy to build...But put a decent Defense with a QB's like the Manning's, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Brady, Ryan, etc..., and you've got a shot every year...

It makes me awfully nervous when I hear the guy who started Edwards over Fitz say The Bills can win a Championship with Fitz at QB...It scares the heck out of me to be honest, and makes me believe these guys still don't know wtf they're doing internally...We'll see though...Could all be a smokescreen...In the end I still believe The Bills better come out of this draft with Newton, Gabbert, or Mallett...I'll give them a temporary pass if it's Kaepernick because I realize his upside is pretty high...If they don't get one of those young QB's, especially considering they really have NO Back-up QB right now, they're a bunch of morons... B-)

Alright, just caught the piece on ESPN. I didnt hear anything to get upset about. It was a pretty honest and accurate breakdown. Had some good points, and "inside information" to discuss. And it wasnt just a quick blurb.

Im guessing the OP saw Mort chuckle right in the beginning and flew off the handle since Mort is the Dark One around here.

I didnt have time to listen/watch. I went by what I read in the posts. I'm not dilusional that Fitzy is the next Jim Kelly however, I was under the impression he was criticizing Fitzy based on incomplete information.......

It wasn't that bad IF you honest with yourself what they said was dead on. Im with Trent, I mean come on do you really REALLY think Fitz can win us a superbowl BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. I want Cam and not saying he can win us a superbowl but he could maybe take us closer than Fitz. There is no way one defensive player (Miller, Darues, Fairley) will turn us into a playoff contender its gonna take more than one. Look at the Texans they drafted Mario Williams and they still suck why cuz Matt Schaub SUCKS! I'd take Fitz over him. But its just one player first round with all the defensive players that are on the same level we can take Cam if he still there. Which I think he will, no way Carolina takes him after taking Clausen last year.

So only great QBs can assess another qb? Sure buddy, whatever you say. If Marshall Faulk was talking crap about Fred, that means it's the truth... Because he was a great RB? The dude is as clueless as they come, but he was great. Get real

so true..-Bills havent earned being part of the conversation...The Browns,Bengals,lions,Bills,Cardinals..its all about lousy ownership.--oops forget the Jets

Edited by Tcali

here is todays that i am talking about...all this is-is a repeat...i do agree with kiper though that we will take miller at number 3....just listen to these guy rip fitzy and dilfer sounding like lets move on and not talk about this team...god i cant stand him...

http://search.espn.g...s-on-the-clock/

When Dilfer laughs, he follows it up by dissing himself as far as I can tell -- says that to win a Superbowl with Fitzpatrick, the Bills had better have a defense like the Baltimore Ravens D he played with, 'cuz that's the only formula to win without a "dynamic playmaker" at QB. As I hear it, he's saying he really wasn't a dynamic playmaking QB himself and only won 'cuz the D he played with was so good.

It all sounds to me a lot like stuff you'd read here on TBD. The major need I thought they missed was saying we need an LT ..... maybe we do but the need for RT is greater. The major point I thought went unstated, is Kiper correctly commented that the Bills won't draft Newton if their internal evaluation says they can win with Fitzy. That's true, but the other half of the equation is the Bills won't draft Newton if they have questions about him, whether or not their internal evaluation says they can win with Fitzy or need a QB. They will wait for next year's crop if there is someone there they like better.

I want to see what Fitz can do with a year as "The Man" and a better OL. People who question whether he can get it done have valid points, are they correctable points and can Fitz correct them?

I think Dilfer underrates Fitz - natural for a former 1st round draft choice talking about a 7th round scrub. The only solution for Fitzy is "Win, baby". Then he can justifyably say "scrub this!"

Overall I thought it was a thoughtful and reasonably accurate discussion.