A Little Perspective

Dawgg

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/buffalo-news/mi_8030/is_20060430/bills-pull-safety-trigger/ai_n42920730/

:)

And the Bills were worried Whitner was not going to be around if they moved down. Detroit needed a safety and was expected to take Texas' Michael Huff, who went seventh to Oakland. Were the Bills thinking the Lions would take Whitner?

"That came up," Modrak said with a smile. "There were phone calls all over the place," Levy said, "but you have to weigh if we move down six places, is the guy we want still going to be there despite getting an extra fourth or whatever?"

The Bills think Whitner is a rare talent. He is only the fourth safety taken among the top 10 picks in the last 10 years. The others were Huff, Dallas' Roy Williams (eighth in 2002) and Washington's Sean Taylor (fifth in 2004).

"The game is evolving and changing to a degree," Modrak said. "Safeties that can do a couple things for you are valuable. Safeties have to get into the coverage. They're not just the old walk down into the box safety. He has coverability."

The Bills think McCargo eventually can grow into the nose tackle spot. The starter there is Tim Anderson, and his only backups are former street free agents Jason Jefferson and LaWaylon Brown.

"The No. 1 thing that comes to your mind is he's very quick," said Tom Modrak, Bills assistant general manager. "To me it's hard to coach quickness, and it's hard to develop quickness."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a bad bad decision and probably hurt the Bills in a couple of different ways....

I know some people hate it.....but when trying to figure out what went wrong with this once proud franchise you have to look at the past history......

Picks like Maybin, Whitner, McCargo, JP Losman, Mike Williams........have absolutely KILLED this team over the years and when you are a team that relies mainly on the draft to bring in talent.......just franchise killer moves

I feel much better with Buddy Nix making the decisions

The Bills are ass-backward ass hats. They take a guy because they are worried about another team taking him because another safety went already? They say how valuable a safety who can cover is – then draft one that cant. Then they reach for a NG who is quick? All the while passing over a 350# behemoth who is quick.

The Bills would get from Buffalo to California by flying East :wallbash::wallbash:

The Bills are ass-backward ass hats. They take a guy because they are worried about another team taking him because another safety went already? They say how valuable a safety who can cover is – then draft one that cant. Then they reach for a NG who is quick? All the while passing over a 350# behemoth who is quick.

The Bills would get from Buffalo to California by flying East :wallbash::wallbash:

I will never for the life of me figure out why they passed on Ngata only to trade back in the first round to draft of McCargo. Blame Donahoe, Jauron, Brandon, Nix, whoever, but the one constant in all this ineptness has been Tom Modrak.

This was a bad bad decision and probably hurt the Bills in a couple of different ways....

I know some people hate it.....but when trying to figure out what went wrong with this once proud franchise you have to look at the past history......

Picks like Maybin, Whitner, McCargo, JP Losman, Mike Williams........have absolutely KILLED this team over the years and when you are a team that relies mainly on the draft to bring in talent.......just franchise killer moves

I feel much better with Buddy Nix making the decisions

I couldn't agree more. The single biggest issue with the Bills is our draft picks don't develop into viable starters. I'm not 100% sure if the reason has been poor draft picks, or the coaches lack of development skills. Either way it's been atrocious.

But I also know that our past doesn't have anything to do with Nix and Gailey. I trust them. Most have said we need to take a defensive player with the #3 pick overall or it will be sending the message we're turning our back on our biggest need - defense. But I say what about Troup, Carrington, Batten, and Moats? Have we become so numb that we no longer expect our 2nd year draft picks to get better and contribute? Do we automatically think Nix and Gailey are as inept as their predecessors?

While I certainly understand the skepticism, lets see what kind of team these guys build. All I know is the Bills were getting nearly painful to watch, until last year. We only won 4 games and it was better football than I've seen in the previous 10 years.

Sounds like maybe the powers that be at the time should have listened to what the experts were saying .

I liked what Marv did for the Bills as a coach but this tells me that the draft guru at the time Pollian was the man that knew how to spot the talent not Marv , although he did know how to put the talent to good use !!

Oh well - Can't worry about yesterday it's gone just looking forward to this year !!

GO BILLS !!! :thumbsup:

I look forward to Buddy getting the best football player available with each pick, and seeing the impact of that unfold over the next five years. I don't expect him to be perfect with his rankings, but I do expect him to be a lot more accurate than the last few guys making the decisions.

I will never for the life of me figure out why they passed on Ngata only to trade back in the first round to draft of McCargo. Blame Donahoe, Jauron, Brandon, Nix, whoever, but the one constant in all this ineptness has been Tom Modrak.

If I understand correctly (not that I am agreeing with it Ngata SHOULD have been the pick)

- They wanted a safey high because they said that is what makes the cover 2 work....well they were correct about that because Jarius Byrd came in later and made Whitner look like dog @hit but the problem is they drafted a safety who couldn't cover in Whitner

- Then the McCargo pick...if I remember correctly they were looking for DT's that were in great shape and could play all game long.....but unfortunately they just took the wrong guy as McCargo was nothing without having great players lined up next to him

Sounds like maybe the powers that be at the time should have listened to what the experts were saying .

I liked what Marv did for the Bills as a coach but this tells me that the draft guru at the time Pollian was the man that knew how to spot the talent not Marv , although he did know how to put the talent to good use !!

Oh well - Can't worry about yesterday it's gone just looking forward to this year !!

GO BILLS !!! :thumbsup:

When it is all said and done....you watch and see just how productive last years draft was....

- People are down on Spiller....I am fully expecting him to have a huge year this year....sometimes it doesnt happen right away

- Carrington and Troupe and going to be big pieces to the D turnaround......Moates is going to end up being a gem

- We got guys last year that showed a lot of potential in Easley, Batten, and that other DE turned LB that got hurt

If I understand correctly (not that I am agreeing with it Ngata SHOULD have been the pick)

- They wanted a safey high because they said that is what makes the cover 2 work....well they were correct about that because Jarius Byrd came in later and made Whitner look like dog @hit but the problem is they drafted a safety who couldn't cover in Whitner

- Then the McCargo pick...if I remember correctly they were looking for DT's that were in great shape and could play all game long.....but unfortunately they just took the wrong guy as McCargo was nothing without having great players lined up next to him

When it is all said and done....you watch and see just how productive last years draft was....

- People are down on Spiller....I am fully expecting him to have a huge year this year....sometimes it doesnt happen right away

- Carrington and Troupe and going to be big pieces to the D turnaround......Moates is going to end up being a gem

- We got guys last year that showed a lot of potential in Easley, Batten, and that other DE turned LB that got hurt

Chris Kelsay or Aaron Maybin? :sick:

The irony in all this is that in that same press conference, Modrak was asked why the Bills reached on McCargo. He then made a crack at Mel Kiper, implying that Kiper has no idea what he's talking about. Had the Bills simply blindly followed Kiper's draft board, this team would have made the playoffs.

Why Modrak is still employed by the team is beyond me.

Fans should really be happy that spiller was taken last year - it shows that with the first round pick Nix and company will take who they consider is the most talented player. So we have a chance to take anyone in the first round, even if that player is not a need. As far as I am concerned, that is how you get talent on the team. Been watching Pit take safeties, rbs, wrs for years - the important thing is the players they take can play.

I think Marv's problem was that he trusted the rest of the front office to do their jobs without much guidance - and that didn't work out so well.

The irony in all this is that in that same press conference, Modrak was asked why the Bills reached on McCargo. He then made a crack at Mel Kiper, implying that Kiper has no idea what he's talking about. Had the Bills simply blindly followed Kiper's draft board, this team would have made the playoffs.

Modrak identifies that safeties who can cover and support the run are valuable, which is correct. Donte Whitner never could do either all that well, which is why he wasn't re-signed before the lockout. But this is a guy who's only big pick in Round 1 going back to his Philadelphia days has been Donovan McNabb.

I think Marv's problem was that he trusted the rest of the front office to do their jobs without much guidance - and that didn't work out so well.

Marv's problem was he wasn't a GM and figured the guys working for him were competent enough to make up for that. Jauron, Guy, Modrak, none of those guys are renowned for their decision making at the position they were in with Buffalo.

Fans should really be happy that spiller was taken last year - it shows that with the first round pick Nix and company will take who they consider is the most talented player.

Sorry, I disagree. I am not happy that they took a small, part time player at a position in which we had some depth with the #9 selection of a draft. And if they thought he was the bpa they were obviously wrong, and this doesn't take team needs into account.

The above said, I am 100% sure that Nix/Gailey are better than the combo of Levy/Jauron. They couldn't possibly be that inept and after all, this was year 1 for Nix as a GM. But, he is a football personnel man, and he has a golden opportunity to improve this team. As for Gailey, he has proven that he can at least run an offense.

Hope springs eternal for Bills fans before a draft. :thumbsup:

Hahahaha i remember that inteview like it was yesterday. Very good point.

Fans should really be happy that spiller was taken last year - it shows that with the first round pick Nix and company will take who they consider is the most talented player. So we have a chance to take anyone in the first round, even if that player is not a need. As far as I am concerned, that is how you get talent on the team. Been watching Pit take safeties, rbs, wrs for years - the important thing is the players they take can play.

Or it shows they take whoever Ralph thinks is the best player:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/ralph-wilson-rips-tim-tebow-pick-denver-panicked/

I'd love to hear commentary from The Dean, Ramius, C. Biscuit97, syhuang and the rest of the peanut gallery who thought (and might still think) Whitner & McCargo were a prudent selections in the first round. :)

I'd love to hear commentary from The Dean, Ramius, C. Biscuit97, syhuang and the rest of the peanut gallery who thought (and might still think) Whitner & McCargo were a prudent selections in the first round. :)

I'll take the bait, even though it is more than a little sad that this seems to be the only thing you post about (you probably still can't get over that girl who dumped you in 8th grade, can you?).

I was lucky enough to play football through college. I've watched the game since I was 10 and love it. I've very secure with my knowledge of the game and would gladly test it anyway you like.

But I'm also a Buffalo kid who grew up loving the Bills and having them be a huge part of my life. With all the jokes the city of Buffalo gets, the Bills represent that Buffalo still can be big time. I live for Bills games and tailgating. I go to Boston quite often and wear my Bills gear with pride and only get met with respect.

So personally, I'd rather hope for the best for this team that probably means a little to much to me. Obviously, you'd rather be right on a message board. I guess we have different goals in life. Especially about something that happened 5 years ago.

And considering you were busy pimping Dusty Dvoracek and his career 31 tackles http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9659 , I'd probably pipe down a little bit. :thumbsup:

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Sorry, I disagree. I am not happy that they took a small, part time player at a position in which we had some depth with the #9 selection of a draft. And if they thought he was the bpa they were obviously wrong, and this doesn't take team needs into account.

The above said, I am 100% sure that Nix/Gailey are better than the combo of Levy/Jauron. They couldn't possibly be that inept and after all, this was year 1 for Nix as a GM. But, he is a football personnel man, and he has a golden opportunity to improve this team. As for Gailey, he has proven that he can at least run an offense.

Hope springs eternal for Bills fans before a draft. :thumbsup:

I think OBD looked at spiller as the same type of player as Jamaal charles and it seems everyone at obd was convinced he was a no brainer. I guess it's difficult to fathom, but not every player starts off great. Since I've been in pittsburgh I'm innundated (sp) with their picks, but many have started slowly. Troy P was being talked about as not worth the pick after his first year; Timmons (1st round) didn't play while Woodley (2nd) started from the beginning; Ziggy Hood didn't play much in his first year either, and hasn't played much until Aaron Smith got hurt. Point being you take the biggest difference maker you can. I'm not saying it will always work out, but I don't think it was a reach to take Spiller at that spot.

Guys taken by Levy/DJ in the first round were all driven by need, Nix makes a statement with Spiller that he's taking the bpa as they see it because he certainly wasn't a need. In the past that could have meant Nix would have considered Ngata even though he wasn't a Tampa 2 DT because maybe they thought he was the best player available. With Levy/DJ if a player didn't match the need he wasn't considered. So there is hope a DE could get taken at #3 even though Nix has brought a couple in already, because he isn't afraid to overdraft a position. So you've got that going for you.

For me, I'm looking at a qb or Miller, with a dark horse of peterson or green. I just don't see the value of a 5 technique at number 3, even if that player can also play the nose. We can get run stoppers later in this draft.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh