Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder?

Gabbert or Ponder?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Gabbert or Ponder?

As much as i think Ponder will be better than Gabbert, I have to agree with a few posters on here that 34 is a bit high for him. I think that several qbs will fall into the third. What I'd really like to see is a defensive draft (although i'd like an OT, perhaps at 34) until the 5th when we take ricky stanzi. USA #1.

Edited by NickelCity

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching that game film, there were a lot of drops where the ball was either in the numbers or entirely catchable and *boink*. On one of them, there was no one within 20 yards of one TE, it hit him in the breadbasket in stride and *boink*. That's very surprising for FSU, given their prime location to pick up WRs. Was it an issue of the stable being depleted b/c of Bowden's expiring time there... even with Jimbo in place as the heir apparent?

I think it was a combination of having some underachieving older WRs with the new guys. Bert Reed was solid, and then all of a sudden became inconsistent as all hell last season. He made some highlight reel plays and then would drop the next 2 passes. Taiwan Easterling is playing baseball down here as well, and his future in that is probably higher in that than football, so his main focus is elsewhere. Willie Haulstead looked great as a young kid this season, and when teams took him out of the game, the others refused to step up. The rest were young guys trying to grasp the offense and adjust to the college game. There was literally a game where ponder had 10 incompletes, and 8 of them were flat out drops.

As for the Oklahoma game, i'm not going to sugar coat it, but this is also a caveat: That was the single worst game Ponder played while at FSU. So yes, it was a bad game, but simply judging him solely on that game is idiotic.

Id rather take Ponder in the 3rd round, than Gabbert #3 overall

+1

If anyone has seen Gabbert's highlight package, he can do it all, including throw on the run.

I've seen some highlights. But as Coach Gailey put it so eloquently yesterday, hightlight films are fine. But they only show you the good plays. What about all the ones that didn't make the reel? Coach Gailey said you could take just about anyone and make a nice highlight reel, even Chris Brown could probably do that!

Saw a lot of hightlight reels of CJ Spiller this time last year, and then look what happened.

Edited by reddogblitz

I've seen some highlights. But as Coach Gailey put it so eloquently yesterday, hightlight films are fine. But they only show you the good plays. What about all the ones that didn't make the reel? Coach Gailey said you could take just about anyone and make a nice highlight reel, even Chris Brown could probably do that!

Saw a lot of hightlight reels of CJ Spiller this time last year, and then look what happened.

That Scum-Sentinel link upthread about Ponder had extensive clips of plays that went well, and ones that went wrong for one reason or another (often WR/TE drops, but a couple examples of throwing into coverage). I'd say that was about as extensive and fair a review as you're going to find. They have not done one on Gabbert, yet, but the Oklahoma LB they interviewed, Tom Wort, said that, no disrespect to Ponder, but Gabbert was a tougher QB to face b/c the system he was in was damn near tailored to him, along with the team he had around him. Take that for what it's worth.

Edited by UConn James

Ponder's deep ball was terrible last year. I'm wondering if it was because his arm was hurt pretty much the whole year, though.

That is one of the knocks on him. Injuries probably played a part as there was a misdiagnosis at FSU. The reviews say he doesn't have world-class throwing power, but he can get the ball where he needs it. It's not like he has "50 yards or fewer" stamped on his arm.

He does have good throwing footwork and accuracy. As has been written, kind of a tougher Chad Pennington, but Ponder also has a similar game to Fitz, which may play into his favor for the Bills. I trust Chan to know what he's looking for in a QB and what he can work with. If it's Ponder, OK. If it's a tradeback and Gabbert, OK. If it's another 7th-rounder and Fitz as the clear #1 going forward (at least until next year's speculation starts), that's OK too. Gailey brought a lot to the offense last season that has been missing in Buffalo for a long time --- namely the idea that we have an offense that can make plays and move the chains.

Back to Ponder, tho... not having a rocket arm isn't necessarily too big a drawback in today's dink-and-dunk NFL. Pennington's arm was a known commodity and he was picked in the mid-1st, iirc. Bear in mind also that it's possible for his arm to develop. Hate to use the Tom Brady example again, but when he entered the league there was no way he could throw deep like he has the past few years. People wisecrack various reasons for that, of course, but it can be developed cleanly with hard work.

I am more and more convinced we should go defensive in the first round (If you've followed my posts, it will be quickly evident that I'm a total loser when it comes to making up my mind). I hope one of these other quarterbacks is on the board when we pick, but if we're faced with just drafting defensive players, I won't be disappointed.

It's difficult to believe that Gabbert won't go to Carolina, but if he's on the board at 3, he may be too delicious to pass up for Nix. I'd prefer him over Newton any day.

Seriously? Ponder can't carry Blaine's Jock. I'm not buying his arm is great and that it was just injuries, guy will be a career backup.

Seriously? What has gabbert been able to do that is so Pheonominal? Carry the Mizzou. To what? To me, these two guys are not that far apart from each other. Ponders injury history might be a concern, but They both have good points and bad points about themselves. Gabbert came from a spread offense, so he did not take that many step drops as someone who is under center. He may be able to do it, but there is not that much tape on that. Ponder has been under center. A lot. He moves well and takes the drops well. 5 and 7 step drops. He gets out of pressure and has pretty good acuracy. Both guys are good leaders. Both can throw. Gabbert might have a better arm, but really, not that much better. Both are better than Cam Newton in my opinion. Cam may have the measurables, but He did not fare well at any of the drop back passing drills and his accuracy was not consistant. If Ponder checks out medically, than the difference between when these guys get picked will be in favor of Ponder. I do like Kapernick a little better than Ponder, but The second round is when we should get the QB. Take Fairly, or Daureus first then Ponder or Kapernick second. Gabbert is good, but the difference between him and Ponder is not that much to take him at 3. No way. If you want to hold his jock, than go a head. hold away.

I picked Ponder because I'd hate picking Gabbert at #3.

I don't think QB is a crisis position of need this year. It's a pick for the later rounds, if at all, really.

I want players on defense that start on opening day from Rounds 1 and 2.

Good teams don't draft to fill immediate needs. They draft based on the grade of a player and to build for the future. If there is an absolute need to be filled but another player is rated higher then trade down or pick him. Minnesota drafted Peterson despite having just signed a FA RB because Peterson fell to them and his draft grade was much higher than where he was chosen. There are many other examples and of course there are a ridiculous number of reaches on the current Bills roster to prove drafting for need is foolish.

In addition, Fitz is not the long term answer. No one knows if Gabbert is the solution at QB, but this may be the best opportunity to change the entire fate of the franchise if he is the solution. This draft is so deep in front 7 defenders that immediate impact starters are likely to be found in the second and third rounds especially if there is a late run on WR's, RB's, and/or OL in the first round.

Gabbert's Wonderlic score makes him more attractive as a pick to me. I like Ponder but worry about him spending a lot of time recovering from surgeries. The front 7 is my biggest concern as far as the draft goes

NEITHER!

Ponder is a fragile player = Trent 2.0

Gabbert is a nobody = JP 2.0

with that said

IN CAM WE TRUST!

Fast forward 5 years. Cam Newton is struggling to be a consistant winner. Is more like a Poor mans Daunte Culpepper and VY combined. And I am looking back laughing to my self about post's like this and yet pissed off all at the same time for getting behind the guy while we fall down another 5 to 6 year playoff drought hole that we keep digging our selfs in.

Edited by DukeyBomb

The Bills like Ponder and that my friends will be the safe pick. No Newton or gabbert

C'mon dude, We NEED a real QB and it aint Ponder. Gabbert, Kaepernick, Malett in that order and that's it. Everyone else won't be good QBs (Newton ,Locker) or career backups (Ponder, Dalton). I know the crop isn't deep but all it takes is one and we need one and can't hope and wait for Luck next year if he even comes up since he's only was a sophomore and really wants to graduate.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian