Nix & Gailey on Phone Conference today

papazoid

the Bills are having a phone conference today....after listening to both Nix and Gailey...i'm inclined to believe the following:

#1- the Bills are Trading out of the #3 pick...but no farther than #10.

#2- if a Franchise QB is there, they will take him.

#3- i think Von Miller is the most likely pick.

#4- Patrick Peterson is viewed as a "nickel" back, so i don't think they take him.

#5- Gailey said "most" picks will be defensive.

the Bills are having a phone conference today....after listening to both Nix and Gailey...i'm inclined to believe the following:

#4- Patrick Peterson is viewed as a "nickel" back, so i don't think they take him.

Its so refreshing to actually see real "football people" running the show. Whatever they decide to do with the 3rd overall pick , Im behind them 100%.

Very smart move and have backed this idea since we learned of our 3rd overall selection status.

Unlike many fans, some of us actually have identified the need to address multiple holes on this teams roster, it is common sense to attempt to use the 3rd overall in an effort to address the most pressing problem with the team currently, the defense.

Refreshing that the thought process of the organization is viewing a trade down as the way to go, plus 1 to Nix and the boys.

If they do indeed trade down, this becomes a moot point in my opinion, given the teams that will select infront of them and their needs at the position. On top of that, next years draft class looks to be more promising at the QB position and Fitz has proven he can carry the team through next season on the offensive side. A non-starter of a subject given the needs on defense.

Can't speak to who the selection will be in the first, but whoever it is will be an impact player of some type, good enough for me. I would focus on the 2nd round and other draft picks sure to come with any deal to trade down. Paying attention to those picks will allow us to get an analysis of how the team is addressing the depth of the roster, particularly those picks after the second round.

Agreed.

As stated in responses to points 1 thru 3 I believe this to be the case and I 100% agree with this strategy.

#6 They have faith Shawne Merriman will be a big contributor.

I love all but #2!

This doesn't make any kind of sense REASONS..

(Nix already said he really doesn't know how to move down so he won't)

(if they move down to #10 there will be no franchise QB left Gabbert or Newton will be gone by 10)

(HE WILL DEFIANTLY BE GONE BY 10, so he will be our 3rd pick but you say we will move to 10?)

(Opinion)

(There will be 1 or 2 offensive players so this makes sense)

With that said... In Cam We Trust!

Sounds like Quinn, Jordan or Watt is the pick if they indeed are trading out of that #3 spot. Depending on the spot, Miller will most likely be off the board.

I was on the call too and heard things a little different.

I heard Buddy say that IF the Bills were to trade down it would be no further than 10. He also said it takes two to tango so it might not even be an option. he also said if the guy you want is there you better take him because he might not be there when you get the pick you traded down for. He also said new rules that went into effect yesterday says no trades until draft day. Sounds to me like the odds are stacked against it.

I heard Coach Gailey say that he'd be good at "nickel" but also said he wouldn't put him in deep coverage when he would be so good at man to man and that's how he'd use him at least a good part of the time.

#6 - Coach Gailey said he really like Cam and thinks he is an impressive young man. He liked how he was able to bring the Auburns back in many games by passing, running, and effectively running the offense.

I had 2 questions I wanted to ask but didn't get called on:

1. What is the fascination with Blaine Gabbert (Bills will be bringing him for a look next week)? Throughout the whole college season I never heard of him. His completion percentage was not high and his TD count was not that high. What is the fascination?

2. Coach Gailey mentioned bringing in Dave Wannabee and how great that was. I was going to ask why since our run D was dead last in the NFL, would be we keep our DC and bring in a guy who was DC on a Super Bowl winning team and make him ILB coach and not DC?

Edited by reddogblitz

(if they move down to #10 there will be no franchise QB left Gabbert or Newton will be gone by 10)

(HE WILL DEFIANTLY BE GONE BY 10, so he will be our 3rd pick but you say we will move to 10?)

(Opinion)

Regarding moving down and comment #2. They could actually move down to say 10 and still draft a Franchise QB. Most folks feel that it is either Cam or Gabbert, but the Bills may feel that is is Ponder or Ryan M., and thus could take either at 10, wait until the 2nd round to take one or use their extra pick(s) to move back into the first round to take one of them. Thus they would get a pretty good defensive player at 10 plus a Franchise QB (at least in their eyes). Not saying they should or will do this, just a thought

I listened in at work. I'm not really sure how you concluded from that call that the Bills are trading out of the 3rd pick, but OK.

I'm also still not sold on Buddy Nix. He sounds like a blowhard to me, although, there is only so much he can really say. It kind of sounds like he wants to talk real football, but he's finding out that he really can't say too much. It seems to me that he wants to pop off, but has figured out that he has to guard what he thinks. No real big news here, but he really wasn't all that enlightening.

Chan Gailey is the man. Chan loves football, and knows what he's talking about. Period. The guy shoots pretty straight. He talks football. He answers questions pretty honestly. He's definitely not afraid to evaluate players in the media, especially if it's put up or shut up time. I was disappointed when Gailey was hired. Period. But I'm so glad he's here now. At least now I have one guy in the organization I personally have faith in, which gives me hope. I could listen to Chan all day.

It's going to be a real interesting draft. Gailey has shown he can coach, now lets see if Nix gets this team any help personnel wise. I'm looking for year 1 of his draft to step up, and for Nix to find someone in year 2 that can contribute right away.

let me clarify...first of all...buddy and chan did NOT specifically say what they were doing with the #3...they mostly gave the standard pat answers.....the above comments are my feelings based on what i heard.....i'm sure a transcript of the phone conference will be avail shortly. obviously there will be many ways to interpret what was said.

one comment that caught my attention, was when one caller asked chan about defensive pressure on the QB...he answered by saying that they believe merriman will take care of some of that....and then said something like....now, if we can only get someone for the other side.....hence my #3 comment that if they stay at #3, Von Miller would fit that description.

regarding the franchise QB...gailey said the standard answer that if a QB was there that could play for the next 10 years, you get him now because you don't know if you'll ever be picking that high again. went on to compliment both newton and gabbert. but i just came away thinking, neither fits that description. i forget exactly what was said, but i came away feeling that pick #34 would be used on a QB.

as far as trading out from #3, again i forget what was said, but both nix and gailey each talked about trading out, in such away that it made me think that is their preferred outcome.

Was hoping to take the call today but had meetings stacked onto meetings so I had to change plans. I asked the Bills to call back but they haven't yet.

All kidding aside, I'd love to see the Bills trade down, but in reality, all public pre-draft comments are smokescreens. Kudos to the Bills for creating these pseudo-events as perks for their best customers, but in reality they are just outlets for more smoke.

Would be nice but not likely unless we get really lucky.

That's the biggest question (if a Franchise QB is there?) in the entire Bills draft and only the Bills decision makers know the answer, regardless of everyone's opinions. I still think Cam will go to Carolina.

Definite possibility due to the need at OLB. I like DE here but with Merriman, Edwards and Carrington being talked up by Chix, who knows.

If Gailey said they wouldn't put him into deep coverage much, why take a CB this early unless he is Revis II?

Not surprised by this statement but hope instead of QB at #3 (unless the guy they are absolutely sure of falls to us) they pick up a QB in 2nd or 3rd and a ROT or LOT and maybe a tight end somewhere along the way (3 of the 9 picks being offense).

Either way, at least three home runs are needed at key positions for this team to start turning things around fairly quickly. Hope Chix can do it.

(Opinion)

1) Nix also said 90% of everything said at this time of year is BS, so who knows about trading.

2) Trading back give them more ammo to trade back up. Or simply, they think Mallet, Ponder, or Locker is their guy.

3) Moot point if he is picked at three or gone by 10

4)Skip

5) Makes sense

Just the fact that Nix and Gailey are talking about trading down is a literal advertisement to other teams who may want to trade into our position to take a Newton or a Gabbert. Not that they will necessarily, they still need the right incentive package in terms of picks to make it a reality. If they are serious about a franchise quarterback, they're likely to need to remain in their position. I don't buy into any of the talk about Newton or Gabbert dropping out of the top 10. Someone in the top 15 will trade into the top 10 to take one of them if they linger.

I think Von Miller would be an inspired choice for our pick whether at 3 or 10. If they do trade down, which would be even more inspired, I won't miss him if he's off the board when we pick. Okay, maybe a little. I'd enjoy seeing front seven players being selected at 3, 34, 68, and 100, and save a quarterback for a lower round even if he doesn't pan out completely.

Very smart move and have backed this idea since we learned of our 3rd overall selection status.

Unlike many fans, some of us actually have identified the need to address multiple holes on this teams roster, it is common sense to attempt to use the 3rd overall in an effort to address the most pressing problem with the team currently, the defense.

Refreshing that the thought process of the organization is viewing a trade down as the way to go, plus 1 to Nix and the boys.

Takes two to trade down even if they wanted to do that. It might not be possible so they need to have some players in mind to draft at #3.

If they do indeed trade down, this becomes a moot point in my opinion, given the teams that will select infront of them and their needs at the position. On top of that, next years draft class looks to be more promising at the QB position and Fitz has proven he can carry the team through next season on the offensive side. A non-starter of a subject given the needs on defense.

Next years draft class shouldn't be counted on. Last year Locker would have been the first pick. Now look at him. If there is a QB they like this year they should

take him quick fast.

Can't speak to who the selection will be in the first, but whoever it is will be an impact player of some type, good enough for me. I would focus on the 2nd round and other draft picks sure to come with any deal to trade down. Paying attention to those picks will allow us to get an analysis of how the team is addressing the depth of the roster, particularly those picks after the second round.

Agree on this. IF Newton is gone. Miller or Peterson. I think Bills want elite athletes, a la Spiller.

Agreed.

I don't believe this at all. Draft time lie if they did say it. Peterson is more than a nickel back. He could go first to the Panthers.

As stated in responses to points 1 thru 3 I believe this to be the case and I 100% agree with this strategy.

Like this strategy as well in rounds 2-7. In first round I'm more open.

here are buddy's comments on QB:

Let me just say this to you, and dont read anything into it. Try not to connect the dots. If you wait until you do not have a quarterback to draft one, youre too late. Our greatest need is not quarterback, Nix said. Its definitely not quarterback. If there is a franchise guy there and one we deem as a guy that can go eight or 10 years and be the face of this organization and take us to the playoffs and win every year, you cant pass him up. But as far as need? No, its not the number one need.

link to tele-forum comments:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-picks-to-mainly-go-defense/c24b50eb-0662-45f4-b8c3-07821c20e2ce

Edited by papazoid

“If I had to say today, I’d say we’re going to use most of our picks defensively,” said head coach Chan Gailey during a half-hour Tele-Forum with Bills season ticket holders Tuesday afternoon. “I think we have to try to shore up our defensive football team. We have to try to get stronger there, get quicker there, get nastier there. I won’t say all of them, but I would say a majority of them will work toward that defensive side this year.”

“The main thing we need to improve on is playing defense and stopping the run,” said Bills GM Buddy Nix. “Until we do that and get some pressure on the passer then we’re not going to be where we want to be. That would be the biggest change I would see us making.”

“The thing we’re trying to get to is a 3-4 scheme and when I say that it’s for scouting and for drafting more than anything else,” said Nix. “That’s what we shoot for when we go out and evaluate players. There’s not a lot of difference though. We’ll try to do what players can do best. We’re going to take those guys and if they can make plays we’re going to put them in position to make them whether it’s a 4-3 look or a 3-4 look.”

“There are a couple of those guys in the draft and I think the question that you ask yourself in the draft situation when you’re sitting there is how do you weight the guys for your football team,” said Gailey. “I feel like a pass rusher, an outside backer, there are a couple of those guys that can make a difference coming off the edge. We hope we have one in the fold already in a Shawne Merriman. If we’ve got one and can get one of the other side to put some pressure on the passer that’ll help us tremendously. If we end up trading out of the number three pick, that might be something that would be a viable option for us.”