Locker compared to Losman

How about 11wins -13 losses, 57% completition percentage, 38tds and 20 ints the last two years.

That's scary enough on it's own.

Then a 20 wonderlic even scarier.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The most successful NFL quarterbacks generally have been those who started at least three years in college and completed a high percentage of their passes.

This chart shows quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds from 1998 to 2007. The quarterbacks with the most starts (37 or more) and highest completion percentage (60 plus) in college (quadrant two of the chart) were easily the most successful.

Eight of the 13 QBs (61.5 percent) who met those standards have been good or great quarterbacks in the NFL. We’re talking Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Chad Pennington, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees. If Kevin Kolb turns out as good as he looks, it would bump the success rate to 69 percent.

For the record, not a single quarterback projected to go in the first or second round of the 2011 draft would qualify for the first-tier quadrant.

Good to see in print what I've been feeling about this crop of QBs all along. They're simply not that good and not worth using a #3 pick. Just because the Bills need a QB doesn't mean they should take one at 3.

Edited by Dr. Fong

That graph is pretty helpful. I'd like to see this year's class on that plot, too. It makes me much more wary of Cam and Gabbert at #3, though, I have to say. Third-quadrant guys like these two can be Bradford or Rodgers, or they can be Couch, Alex Smith, or Leftwich.

In this article, Jake Locker is compared to current NFL QB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/617144-nfl-draft-history-says-jake-locker-is-not-worth-the-first-round-gamble

In my mind, that's enough to steer clear of him. I liked Losman coming out of college too and look how that turned out.

I still find it unbelievable that in 2010 Locker was a projected top 3 pick but now I've seen him go in the 2nd rounder in mocks. Crazy.

Good to see in print what I've been feeling about this crop of QBs all along. They're simply not that good and not worth using a #3 pick. Just because the Bills need a QB doesn't mean they should take one at 3.

I didn't see where it said that Cam Newton can't be a great player and won't live up to being drafted #3. Link?

In this article, Jake Locker is compared to current NFL QB's.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/617144-nfl-draft-history-says-jake-locker-is-not-worth-the-first-round-gamble

In my mind, that's enough to steer clear of him. I liked Losman coming out of college too and look how that turned out.

I thought Losman was better prospect, which doesn't say much for Locker.

When you are in spread your % goes down because you are throwing a lot more so % needs to knocked a bit, what matters most is decision making and accuracy which makes Gabbert the obvious choice at 3.

(like playing for bad organizations like the Bills) ~ OUCH!... Anyway... I don't think Locker is that bad, I mean JP tho? Geeezzz thats like the comparison of death...LOL...When all is said and done and Cam Newton is a Buffalo Bill at the end of the day people will be ok with that...

No we wont.

When you are in spread your % goes down because you are throwing a lot more so % needs to knocked a bit, what matters most is decision making and accuracy which makes Gabbert the obvious choice at 3.

That is incorrect. A Spread offense increases completion percentage on average. (thats kind of the point of the spread offense)

After Chris num nuts said that Buffalo was a bad organization i quit reading the article .

The Bills are no worse off than Cleveland , Cinci, or Seattle the media just likes to use the Bills as a whipping boy of the NFL .

The guy the Bills need to pick up if they can get him in the later rounds is Dalton out of TCU , the kids completion percentage was 66.1 & his over all record in college was 42 & 7 .

I think the kid is going to be NFL royalty in a couple of years !! :worthy:

Edited by T master

so by throwing it more your % goes up? Don't think so, the spread is to get the defense "spread" out to make big plays. The more you throw it the more likely your % goes down I don't care what offense you run. Why do you think all these spread guys & is low?

The spread guys don't have low completion percentage.

The total number of incompletions may be higher, because they pass more, but the completion percentage is higher on average.

Its like saying if someone shoots 100 foul shots they'll have a higher shooting percentage than if they shoot 1000. The two factors are not related. Its a percentage.

so by throwing it more your % goes up? Don't think so, the spread is to get the defense "spread" out to make big plays. The more you throw it the more likely your % goes down I don't care what offense you run. Why do you think all these spread guys & is low?

While tyhe spread does intend to "spread" out the defense, it also frequently features a shorter passing attack, which leads to higher completion percentages. Big plays? More by the design of the spread and YAC than wide open, deep routes by far.

I still find it unbelievable that in 2010 Locker was a projected top 3 pick but now I've seen him go in the 2nd rounder in mocks. Crazy.

At the end of the draft last year, right after the "Me. Irrelevant" pick, they asked Mel Kiper who would be the number one pick in 2011. He replied "Jake Locker."

At the end of the draft last year, right after the "Me. Irrelevant" pick, they asked Mel Kiper who would be the number one pick in 2011. He replied "Jake Locker."

I just realized yesterday that people actually think Mel & McShay know what they're talking about. I find it amazing. They're consistently wrong year after year after year. Consistently show that they especially know very little when it comes to how NFL teams actually draft QBs in particular.

But year after year somehow people listen to their opinions as if they have merit.

It's entertainment people.

It's like listening to a weatherman in a sitcom for your local forecast.