I honestly dont see how we could go wrong in this draft

I mean....I know that everyone has their favorites....I get that....I do to...BUT

- Say the draft pick is in fact Cam Newton.....which all of you out there know darn well it could be regardless of who you want. My own reasons for not wanting Cam are because he wont help us immediately BUT.....Fitz is only under contract for one more year......and personally I have no problem believing that down the road Cam Newon could end up being a franchize guy. Ditto that on Gabbert.....BOTH of them have good arms.....Newton is a little more fun to watch....Gabbard is a big strong armed accurate kid who has a little more scoot then people give him credit for. Then you can scratch off the "QB of the future" off your checklist for this team....god knows when we will be drafting at 3 again. Fitz is your starter this next year and I am behind him 100 percent.....I think he is a good player.

- Say the draft pick is someone like Darius or Farely.....well now you have immediately helped your team on defense.....and you have Fitz as the starter this next year anyway......you must figure out what you are going to do for a backup QB but that can be found in the 2nd round

- Say the pick is Peterson.....there is no doubt that the kid is a extremely talented and a shut down corner which immediatlly helps the defense.....you still have Fitz as your starter and this is a draft with a lot of good defensive talent

And theire are other players as well....hopefully in trade down scenarios but the fact is I think we get a solid player this year that wont bust.....I will feel much more comfortable that the QB's wont bust if we dont push them onto the field too early.

And if the pick is Miller?

Newton is a nightmare scenario pick in my mind, but I guess I trust Gailey and his staff to know more than me about it.

If the pick is Miller then he's instantly our best linebacker. So no downside there either.

I like your optimism, but I really laugh at that headline.

Let's just say that for a moment that the Bills FO and scouts know what they are doing (even though they obviously don't). We take one of these big name "can't miss" prospects like Dareus or Peterson...and especially more risky ones like Newton...why can't they be busts like all of the other players we picked?

Remember Mike Williams? He was thought to be as much of a sure thing as any Bills draft pick in history. Leodis McKelvin was supposed to be the BEST CB in his draft (he is always targeted, and failing, and only sees starting action due to injury). CJ Spiller was supposed to be the BEST RB in his class, yet he was a rookie disappointment to say the least. Not only did he not show improvement, but regression. Maybin? (don't need to explain it). Then of course guys like JP Losman, McCargo.

Even other poor drafting teams show plenty of examples of how this can go all wrong. Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, Ryan Lief, Vernon Ghoulston, Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers, Joey Harrington, Ted Ginn....

Sorry, I won't get my hopes up until the Bills FO proves me wrong...

Phil Taylor @ #3.

Did I ruin your day?

Lol, at least he might actually be good...I'm more worried about them grabbing a guy like Mallett or Gabbert, so we can watch them get crushed and ruined behind our swiss cheese line....

If the pick is Miller then he's instantly our best linebacker. So no downside there either.

Thats what the Jets said when they picked Vernon Ghoulston...

Let's just say that for a moment that the Bills FO and scouts know what they are doing (even though they obviously don't). We take one of these big name "can't miss" prospects like Dareus or Peterson...and especially more risky ones like Newton...why can't they be busts like all of the other players we picked?

Remember Mike Williams? He was thought to be as much of a sure thing as any Bills draft pick in history. Leodis McKelvin was supposed to be the BEST CB in his draft (he is always targeted, and failing, and only sees starting action due to injury). CJ Spiller was supposed to be the BEST RB in his class, yet he was a rookie disappointment to say the least. Not only did he not show improvement, but regression. Maybin? (don't need to explain it). Then of course guys like JP Losman, McCargo.

I'm crying real tears. :cry:

I mean....I know that everyone has their favorites....I get that....I do to...BUT

- Say the draft pick is in fact Cam Newton.....which all of you out there know darn well it could be regardless of who you want. My own reasons for not wanting Cam are because he wont help us immediately BUT.....Fitz is only under contract for one more year......and personally I have no problem believing that down the road Cam Newon could end up being a franchize guy. Ditto that on Gabbert.....BOTH of them have good arms.....Newton is a little more fun to watch....Gabbard is a big strong armed accurate kid who has a little more scoot then people give him credit for. Then you can scratch off the "QB of the future" off your checklist for this team....god knows when we will be drafting at 3 again. Fitz is your starter this next year and I am behind him 100 percent.....I think he is a good player.

- Say the draft pick is someone like Darius or Farely.....well now you have immediately helped your team on defense.....and you have Fitz as the starter this next year anyway......you must figure out what you are going to do for a backup QB but that can be found in the 2nd round

- Say the pick is Peterson.....there is no doubt that the kid is a extremely talented and a shut down corner which immediatlly helps the defense.....you still have Fitz as your starter and this is a draft with a lot of good defensive talent

And theire are other players as well....hopefully in trade down scenarios but the fact is I think we get a solid player this year that wont bust.....I will feel much more comfortable that the QB's wont bust if we dont push them onto the field too early.

They're gonna go D on #3. It's just a matter of who. Right now Von Miller looks like the pick...

Theoretically, the Bills are in a no lose situation because they can select a top rated player at almost any position and have that position be a need positiion for the team.

However, you can look at this another way. They may select a player at a position of need and pass up on several players who go on to be HOF qwuality. So even if they guy they pick is a solid starter for a decade, they lose because they did not get the HOFer.

Edited by Maddog69

And if the pick is Miller?

Newton is a nightmare scenario pick in my mind, but I guess I trust Gailey and his staff to know more than me about it.

Agreed. Regardless of this ridiculous reporting, I have a more than strong belief the Bills will pick a Defensive player. Miller looks like the guy right now, but we'll have to wait and see...

Even other poor drafting teams show plenty of examples of how this can go all wrong. Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, Ryan Lief, Vernon Ghoulston, Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers, Joey Harrington, Ted Ginn....

Lol, at least he might actually be good...I'm more worried about them grabbing a guy like Mallett or Gabbert, so we can watch them get crushed and ruined behind our swiss cheese line....

Thats what the Jets said when they picked Vernon Ghoulston...

It's weird, because both John and you are correct. This draft is ridiculously deep at positions of need, yet there is the inevitable fear of past failures that makes one cautiously optimistic at best.

Gabbert has got some serious wheels though, so the swiss cheese line wouldn't be as bad w/ him there. Also, one has to remember that whatever QB we take is going to sit a year behind Fitz. This is actually a good thing from an Oline perspective because of the young talent we have up front. It gives them a year to get better, and hopefully add a quality RT via FA (whenever it begins) or the draft.

Edited by stony

Well, you are right in the sense it would be incredibly hard not to draft a bust this year, just like it is every year the Bills draft. But, as Turbosrrgood pointed out, they have managed to do it each and every year.

The OP said Peterson was a sure fire player – I would strongly disagree. I think he will need to convert to safety to avoid being picked on by opposing teams. Someone else brought up Von Miller as being a sure-thing LB and instantly our best LB. I for one don’t see how he will be anything but a bust in a 3-4. Another guy brought up Phil Taylor in jest. While I admit it would be a reach, I would still be pumped we landed a very good, solid player. Opposite ends of the spectrum no?

There are going to be differing opinions on players all over the place. What some see as cant-miss others see as cant-win. Regardless of who is right some of these “cant miss” guys are going to be misses just as they are every single year, that is just the reality of it. It’s the Bills job to determine who is going to miss and who isn’t. Unfortunately, history indicates we will be missing. Considering NeverGiveUp says we are liking Miller, I for one don’t see that changing this year., while others think we cant miss.

I think this draft is a weak one and I'll tell you why. First off, neither Newton nor Gabbard, as the OP referred to him as, are slam dunk QB prospects. There are questions regarding Fairley's heart. As far as Miller, I think Rolondo McClain was a better LB prospect (granted he's an ILB) last year and he went, what 8th? I know there have been various weights that he's been listed at but I'm sorry, when I see footage of him, he just looks undersized. This is a draft where I wish we could trade down and get a Watt or a Kerrigan, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Peterson is the safest pick, but I don't know, I trust Gailey and Nix. Call me naive, but I got the current regime's back no matter who they take this time around.

Dareus reminds me of a Mike Williams situation. He sounds like a high school kid in his interviews. Doesn't strike me as a guy that will put in the hard work necessary to become an elite player.

Peterson is the exact opposite. He's seems very mature, and he gives the impression that he's willing to work to become the best at his position. Suh was that way last year, very mature and you knew he'd put in the work to become the best.

Because of major disappointments like Mike Williams and Leodis McKelvin, I think the Bills steer clear of unintelligent types at #3.