Best QB Prospects Using "The Parcells Rules"

yungmack

Yeah Because Parcells is a master of drafting QBs.

Are Drew Bledsoe, Chad Pennington, and Chad Henne really the aim of a team with a Top 10 pick?

Obviously Parcells is a legend, but I'd rather hear Bill Pollian's criteria.

Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins, and Peyton Manning is much more impressive.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Interesting article on the criteria Bill Parcells uses to determine QB rankings. Might be a bit outdated with so many guys coming out of college early these days, but still...

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2011/03/17/how-this-drafts-quarterbacks-stack-up-using-the-parcells-rules/

Fun fact...

Phil Simms never threw for more than 22 TDs in a season. Ryan Fitzpatrick had 23 TDs in 13 games last year.

Interesting article on the criteria Bill Parcells uses to determine QB rankings. Might be a bit outdated with so many guys coming out of college early these days, but still...

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2011/03/17/how-this-drafts-quarterbacks-stack-up-using-the-parcells-rules/

How many great QBs did Parcells draft while a coach and a GM? I like the idea of his rule but he never had any great QBs that I am aware of. Bledsoe was probably the best.

Anyone who passed on drafting Matt Ryan and instead put the franchise in the hands of Chad Henne should be revising his rules.

You're all missing the point, and by a wide margin. The point is not how many SBs Parcells QBs won, it's about a criteria to avoid busts and minimize the risk associated with drafting QBs. If you take his criteria and go back and look at good and great QBs, his criteria can usually be found. Go look at the busts and you'll find some issues lacking in his criteria.

The draft is about risk assessment and this criteria is one tool in the box.

And I would bet, without double checking, that Kelly, Collins, and Manning meet the criteria.

You're all missing the point, and by a wide margin. The point is not how many SBs Parcells QBs won, it's about a criteria to avoid busts and minimize the risk associated with drafting QBs. If you take his criteria and go back and look at good and great QBs, his criteria can usually be found. Go look at the busts and you'll find some issues lacking in his criteria.

The draft is about risk assessment and this criteria is one tool in the box.

And I would bet, without double checking, that Kelly, Collins, and Manning meet the criteria.

I respectly disagree.

I believe you're missing the point, the point of drafting QBs is not minimizing risk. Its Maximizing potential. You can get a caretaker QB off the street. A Super Bowl Wining, Franchise QB is the goal of a 1st round and especially a Top10 QB pick.

BTW Jim Kelly had 31TDs and 28 INTs at University of Miami and had 55% completion percentage so he can be 5/7 on the Parcell criteria Tops.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-kelly-1.html

Edited by Why So Serious?

Sorry, but as great as Parcells WAS, the game has long since passed him by. His rules for team building may have worked in the 80's and early 90's, but they are well outdated by today's standards. How's Jake Long over Matt Ryan working out for the smelly tuna?

Not to mention, what did parcells ever win without belicheat?

Are Drew Bledsoe, Chad Pennington, and Chad Henne really the aim of a team with a Top 10 pick?

Totally agree. Polian over Parcells any day. Parcells built solid defenses. Polian built solid teams. Parcells had alot of luck too. He was a great coach and I'd love to have his set of eyes on anything. But Polian has been a great accessor of talent for more than 2 decades. He's the man when it comes to building teams...

The only one of all of the QB prospects that fit the Parcells rule for drafting QB's this year is Dalton from TCU .

Dalton has been my pick all along , not because of the Parcells thing but because where ever the kid has went he's won . Not just once in a while either but won big . Go check out the guys history at every level he has been a winner .

I don't think that the combine can show that intangible !! There has been a few stars that have came from TCU Schobel , LT , & i personally believe that who ever gets this kid will have one of the next great QB's in the NFL . I just hope we are the ones that can pick him up in a later round .

He has IT !! That thing that all the great ones have !!! :thumbsup:

The only one of all of the QB prospects that fit the Parcells rule for drafting QB's this year is Dalton from TCU .

Dalton has been my pick all along , not because of the Parcells thing but because where ever the kid has went he's won . Not just once in a while either but won big . Go check out the guys history at every level he has been a winner .

I don't think that the combine can show that intangible !! There has been a few stars that have came from TCU Schobel , LT , & i personally believe that who ever gets this kid will have one of the next great QB's in the NFL . I just hope we are the ones that can pick him up in a later round .

He has IT !! That thing that all the great ones have !!! :thumbsup:

Totally agree. Polian over Parcells any day. Parcells built solid defenses. Polian built solid teams. Parcells had alot of luck too. He was a great coach and I'd love to have his set of eyes on anything. But Polian has been a great accessor of talent for more than 2 decades. He's the man when it comes to building teams...

Meh, I would classify an all-time top 5 QB that doesn't miss a game for 13 yrs falling in your lap as pretty lucky.

2 out of 3 aint' bad.

And before anyone starts trashing Bledsoe, he was great when used properly. If you make Chris Johnson the feature back in a power run scheme...

And when healthy Pennington was always one of the best.

Side note: That Mcelroy guy looks great on paper, but I haven't heard much about him. Anyone know what the knock on him is?