Best QB Prospects Using "The Parcells Rules"

yungmack

2 out of 3 aint' bad.

And before anyone starts trashing Bledsoe, he was great when used properly. If you make Chris Johnson the feature back in a power run scheme...

And when healthy Pennington was always one of the best.

Side note: That Mcelroy guy looks great on paper, but I haven't heard much about him. Anyone know what the knock on him is?

The best at checkdowns? I give you Bledsoe but lets not get carried away with General Checkdown. 1 out of 3.

I think McElroy is going to be the next Jessie Palmer, dude is money infront of a camera, breaking down a game, this is not a joke. I've seen him twice and he has the camera presence of a seasoned, professional studio host.

If the Bills don't take a QB in the first 5 rounds I wouldn't hate a 6th or 7th flyer on McElroy. Wonderlic Twins activate!

Edited by Why So Serious?

You're all missing the point, and by a wide margin. The point is not how many SBs Parcells QBs won, it's about a criteria to avoid busts and minimize the risk associated with drafting QBs. If you take his criteria and go back and look at good and great QBs, his criteria can usually be found. Go look at the busts and you'll find some issues lacking in his criteria.

The draft is about risk assessment and this criteria is one tool in the box.

And I would bet, without double checking, that Kelly, Collins, and Manning meet the criteria.

How come he didn't use his own criteria then?

2 out of 3 aint' bad.

And before anyone starts trashing Bledsoe, he was great when used properly. If you make Chris Johnson the feature back in a power run scheme...

And when healthy Pennington was always one of the best.

Side note: That Mcelroy guy looks great on paper, but I haven't heard much about him. Anyone know what the knock on him is?

Bledsoe had everything you wanted accept the ability to win the games that mattered and lead his team. He was so good that the #1 over all pick was replaced by a 6th round QB. What was that guys name again? I never once feared the Patriots when he was their QB. He just didn't have IT.

Pennington was really good decision maker and an effective QB. Problem with those weak armed QBs is they are limited and defenses know they won't throw past 15 - 20 yards unless a guy is WIDE open. His arm was so weak the shoulder he did have couldn't stand up to an NFL beating. I was never feared Miami or the Jets with him under center. That being said we lost a bunch of games due to the short comings of the Bills not due to the prowess of Chad.

Edited by PDaDdy

I respectly disagree.

I believe you're missing the point, the point of drafting QBs is not minimizing risk. Its Maximizing potential. You can get a caretaker QB off the street. A Super Bowl Wining, Franchise QB is the goal of a 1st round and especially a Top10 QB pick.

BTW Jim Kelly had 31TDs and 28 INTs at University of Miami and had 55% completion percentage so he can be 5/7 on the Parcell criteria Tops.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-kelly-1.html

I think you are missing the larger point.

It's all about winning the Super Bowl, not landing the greatest possible quarterback. There are those who believe that to contend you have to land a Manning when you draft a quarterback, and you have to keep plugging away year after year until you get lucky - fine. Parcells arguably believed that the best way for a franchise to win Superbowls was to build a strong team and draft good quarterbacks conservatively - get a strong player with minimal risk of setting the team back by being a flop.

One can argue whether his strategy is relevant in today's NFL or not, but he had a pretty good run with his boring but above-average quarterbacks.

Edited by finknottle

Sorry, but as great as Parcells WAS, the game has long since passed him by. His rules for team building may have worked in the 80's and early 90's, but they are well outdated by today's standards. How's Jake Long over Matt Ryan working out for the smelly tuna?

Not to mention, what did parcells ever win without belicheat?

This was talked about on Atlanta radio last year. Not often in Atlanta do they get a pick right. Kind of like Buffalo in that regard over the past 15 years.

People in Miami are still pissed about that pick.

Give me a franchise QB with an average Oline over a great oline and an average qb any day. Look at Manning and Rothlisberger, You can make an arguement that Greenbays oline was not the greatest in football or even Arizonas from a few years back.

You have to have a franchise QB to win in this league. And save me the Trent Dilfer arguement. There is an exception to every rule,

And the Parcells guide looks like a way to at the very leats minimize the bust potential.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Interesting article on the criteria Bill Parcells uses to determine QB rankings. Might be a bit outdated with so many guys coming out of college early these days, but still...

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2011/03/17/how-this-drafts-quarterbacks-stack-up-using-the-parcells-rules/

Who cares...the Tuna is so overrated.. his image took a big hit with failures in New York (jets),Dallas and Miami.

I think you are missing the larger point.

It's all about winning the Super Bowl, not landing the greatest possible quarterback. There are those who believe that to contend you have to land a Manning when you draft a quarterback, and you have to keep plugging away year after year until you get lucky - fine. Parcells arguably believed that the best way for a franchise to win Superbowls was to build a strong team and draft good quarterbacks conservatively - get a strong player with minimal risk of setting the team back by being a flop.

One can argue whether his strategy is relevant in today's NFL or not, but he had a pretty good run with his boring but above-average quarterbacks.

You are right on with this.

Given the 30+ page "All you need is Defense" thread in January I think we've all seen enough arguing of the relevance of that strategy.

Fun fact...

Phil Simms never threw for more than 22 TDs in a season. Ryan Fitzpatrick had 23 TDs in 13 games last year.

Fun facts - in 1990 those are like top 5 numbers and in 2010 it's not even top 10. Comparing stats a generation apart isnt always a great idea.

Fun facts - in 1990 those are like top 5 numbers and in 2010 it's not even top 10. Comparing stats a generation apart isnt always a great idea.

While what you say is true, it is interesting given all of the clamoring for picking a 2nd or 3rd round second rate QB talent. After Newton, there's nobody that will be as good as we have now with Fitzpatrick.

Yes, there's a small chance that they could become that good, but it's a very small chance. We have a good QB now and if they don't take Newton (hoping for a home run elite QB talent), then they shouldn't bother taking one at all.

Interesting article on the criteria Bill Parcells uses to determine QB rankings. Might be a bit outdated with so many guys coming out of college early these days, but still...

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2011/03/17/how-this-drafts-quarterbacks-stack-up-using-the-parcells-rules/

Rules don't apply to today's NFL besides other than Bledsoe he never rally had a great QB.