Forget About a QB this draft and STACK the D

Lets be honest. With that D it would have been hard to make .500 with Brady or Manning. Fitz obviously is not the future, but if there is not a Franchise QB available why panic? The only problem with making the D better fast is that we'll pick up a couple more wins next year and have little chance of finding that Franchise guy we truly need. This is kind of a catch 22. Biggest problem is that if we miss huge with the 3 overall pick on a Q.B we could literally regress 3 years.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest problem is that if we miss huge with the 3 overall pick on a Q.B we could literally regress 3 years.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I'd say it's a MUCH bigger problem passing on a QB at #3 that turns out to be great...Now I'm not saying that will be the case with any of these kids...But if The Bills pass on one of these QB's and they turn out to be the next big thing...OH BOY! No one is going to be talking about playing it safe then...I can promise you that much... B-)

I don't disagree necessarily, but I'd say it's a MUCH bigger problem passing on a QB at #3 that turns out to be great...Now I'm not saying that will be the case with any of these kids...But if The Bills pass on one of these QB's and they turn out to be the next big thing...OH BOY! No one is going to be talking about playing it safe then...I can promise you that much... B-)

The Bills have a much better chance at picking up D line, front seven players in this years draft IMO.

+ 1 :thumbsup:

Forget About a QB this draft and STACK the D

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Biggest problem is that if we miss huge with the 3 overall pick on a QB we could literally regress 3 years.

I'm with you, but I have a hunch Mr. Ralph wants a QB. I hope Chan & Buddy aren't the "yes men" I think they are. The true catch 22 is Ralph is 92 and ain't getting any younger. This guy was born in 1919! I respect the heck out of him for keeping the team in Buffalo but the facts are we always seem to be grasping at straws.

I agree...stack the D with talent from the lines backward and we will start to win games. Defense wins championships. Period.

Also, this team sorely needs an identity. A strong defense would be a start to having one, as in people not wanting to play Buffalo, especially in Buffalo, because the defense is intense. You all know the stadium rocks!!

When I look at this year's draft, and I look at our Bills and where we need strengthening, I don't think I could have made the draft much better had I designed it myself like a Madden game. We are weak in our front seven in the 3-4 look. This draft has D-linemen that could be starters that will still be drafted in the 3rd round. There are enough linebackers to get two starters if we pick them up in the first four rounds. As for QB's - I think this year's stock is as promising as we've seen since the Manning, Rivers, Rothlisberger year. Potentially there could be Mallett, Locker, Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton, that all end up starters - and there are guys like Alabama's QB who will be taken as an excellent career backup, or Pennington type who is so smart and accurate short range as to be able to execute a specific offense to perfection. I bet he gets drafted by a team like the Patriots - a team that values intelligence.

My point here is that we can come away from the fourth round with starters at DE, ILB, QB, and maybe OLB or RT if we play our cards right. Our second rounder is practically a 1st - there will be starting talent to be had there, and my guess is that is where we grab either Ponder, Luck, or Kaepernick, with Ponder as the lead candidate. When it comes to picking talent at the QB position I'm going to trust our F.O. - remember, last year they probably felt a ton of pressure for passing on Clausen and McCoy - I know a season ticket holder who was ready to stop renewing when they passed on Claused in the second. But it hindsight, they didn't overreach for a guy they didn't believe was better than what they had - and look how good Fitz played. I mean, sure, we need a better QB to go all the way (or an insanely great D), but at least we know if they grab one high they believe he has what it takes to be very good, and after watching Gailey I think I'd be happy if he took Ponder, Locker, or Kaepernick in the 2nd and I'd be confident we could have a Franchise QB in the pick. Our third and fourth are so high as to make it almost a certainty that starter level talent will still be on the board at those picks, too. If we had the mind-set that we had to draft certain positions - like D, then we might not get best value - starter value - at those spots. I'd rather walk away from those rounds with steals, even if we have to wait a little longer to put every defensive piece in place. With our holes, you've got to take what is given.

I don't think we should narrow it down to just fixing the D. We could, if we spent our first four picks on D, probably come away with a starter at CB, DE, and ILB. But, the more I think about the depth in certain areas of this draft, the more I believe we should come away with a starter at DE, QB, and ILB after the first 3 rounds. We can get a TE and a RT in F.A.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Lets be honest. With that D it would have been hard to make .500 with Brady or Manning. Fitz obviously is not the future, but if there is not a Franchise QB available why panic? The only problem with making the D better fast is that we'll pick up a couple more wins next year and have little chance of finding that Franchise guy we truly need. This is kind of a catch 22. Biggest problem is that if we miss huge with the 3 overall pick on a Q.B we could literally regress 3 years.

So glad someone decided to start this thread because the other 90 threads on it havent covered it enough

We are certainly in a position to make a huge transition on defense with this draft. The first three rounds are full of outstanding defensive line and linebacker candidates. New defensive co-ordinator, changing system, and three or four good rookies to start and I think we will be cooking with gas.

Offensively we should look to trade or free agency to shore up the O-line and get a quality tight end. I really like Luke Stocker of Tennessee but I see him going late first or early second right now, and we have heavy duty defensive needs that have to be addressed in rounds one and two. If he lasts til three...who knows?

I can almost guarantee the Bills are gonna sure up the Defense. I know their looking hard at Von Miller and Peterson at 3. Regardless the 3rd overall pick will be a defensive player. The Bills have already come out and said they believe in Fitz. Remember last year? The only QB they would have entertained was Sam Bradford in last year's draft. They know if they want any shot of being a good team, they have to stop the run. That will be their primary goal this offseason, is going from the 32nd team to a top 10 D. They will make moves to make the defense better.

The Bills defense gave up more 20+ yard running plays than any team in the league and had the worst stop percentages in short yeardage situations. The embarrassing manner that NE and NY carved up the Bills running the ball in December should be a lasting image. Danny Woodhead looks like Gale Sayers against the Bills. They additions of Merriman and Batten might help but we still need a DE that can slow down a running play and not be blocked one on one by a TE. I would pick one of the DL like Dareus or Jordan and get a LB who wraps up in on of my top 100 picks. If the right QB is there at 2 take a shot but I would rather see a TE like Rudolph taken #2 or an OT if one os the good ones slides (not likely).

I agree. I would be happy if we don't draft a QB at all. Draft for D and OLine and LB. Then, pick up a backup QB in FA and continue to groom Levi. I think the kid might have something, but needs more work.

So if you were our GM your plan would be Levi Brown as out next franchise QB? Good lord

Because everyone KNOWS there's NOT ONE franchise QB in this draft....

There's a chance nix and gailey see gabbert or newton as a franchise QB, if they do, I think thats who we choose at number 3, if they are available.

I agree...stack the D with talent from the lines backward and we will start to win games. Defense wins championships. Period.

That has been proven wrong so many times, its not even funny.

In any given season, a team can win big with a dominant defense and a so-so offense. (Ravens)

The reverse is also true. A team can win with a dominant Offense and a so-so defense. (Rams)

But to win consistently, the best way is to have a premier QB (Brady, Manning, Montana) along with a good O-line, running game and a strong defense.

We don't have any of those things right now.

That has been proven wrong so many times, its not even funny.

In any given season, a team can win big with a dominant defense and a so-so offense. (Ravens)

The reverse is also true. A team can win with a dominant Offense and a so-so defense. (Rams)

But to win consistently, the best way is to have a premier QB (Brady, Manning, Montana) along with a good O-line, running game and a strong defense.

We don't have any of those things right now.

Those guys account for about 7 out of about the last 30 or so superbowls. How about the other ~23?

Let's not forget that the QBs you mention are ELITE and I mean the best of the best. Identifying that type of QB in the draft is nigh impossible as is evidenced on where these guys were drafted. I would also hazard a guess that it is much more difficult to draft a QB of that caliber than stock your defense to destroy opposing offenses.

Edited by PDaDdy

Those guys account for about 7 out of about the last 30 or so superbowls. How about the other ~23?

Seriously? :huh:

Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, and Warner would all be considered Premier QB's who Won SB's...Mark Rypien had a hell of a good year when the Redskins Won in 92...The vast majority of Super Bowls Champs have been led by Premier QB talent going back 25 years...

Now I understand all of those QB's were not Top 5 Picks...But the argument that a dominant Defense (and we all know the Bills are LIGHT YEARS away from being a dominant Defense) is equal to a Premier QB in this day-and-age of the NFL is laughable...It's simply not even close...Listen to the real experts...Guys like Mike Mayock...It's a QB's league, and anyone who is in the know understands that...

The Bills better get a Premier QB sometime soon...Maybe it will be with the #3 Pick, maybe not...But one thing I do know...They are going to have to pass on either Gabbert or Newton if they go D at #3 overall...Maybe both...And God forbid if one of those Kids ends up being a Premier QB in the NFL and we are still having this discussion in 2012 or 2013...That would be sickening... B-)

Let's not forget that the QBs you mention are ELITE and I mean the best of the best. Identifying that type of QB in the draft is nigh impossible as is evidenced on where these guys were drafted. I would also hazard a guess that it is much more difficult to draft a QB of that caliber than stock your defense to destroy opposing offenses.

Well, do you want the HOFers or just the really good ones? HOFers (and future) that go by the name of Elway, S. Young, Aikmen, and Favre. Not to mention other winners like Plunkett, Simms, Theismann, Warner, Brees, Rodgers, and Big Ben. I think out of the second list Warner is borderline, while the last three (Brees and Big Ben probably in) have very good chances if their careers continue on with success.

Seriously? :huh:

Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, and Warner would all be considered Premier QB's who Won SB's...Mark Rypien had a hell of a good year when the Redskins Won in 92...The vast majority of Super Bowls Champs have been led by Premier QB talent going back 25 years...

Now I understand all of those QB's were not Top 5 Picks...But the argument that a dominant Defense (and we all know the Bills are LIGHT YEARS away from being a dominant Defense) is equal to a Premier QB in this day-and-age of the NFL is laughable...It's simply not even close...Listen to the real experts...Guys like Mike Mayock...It's a QB's league, and anyone who is in the know understands that...

The Bills better get a Premier QB sometime soon...Maybe it will be with the #3 Pick, maybe not...But one thing I do know...They are going to have to pass on either Gabbert or Newton if they go D at #3 overall...Maybe both...And God forbid if one of those Kids ends up being a Premier QB in the NFL and we are still having this discussion in 2012 or 2013...That would be sickening... B-)

Ha you beat me to it.

what he said -------^