Forget About a QB this draft and STACK the D

Here's the thing guys, there's no one way to win in the NFL, and I think too many people want to pigeon hole their argument down to either (a) "you can't win without a franchise QB" or (b) "defense wins championships". Which is the truth? Actually, both...and neither.

Look at the Superbowl winners going back to 1999 (why 1999? I don't know, it was as far as I was willing to go...call me lazy if you want to):

Year------Team------Def Rank------NFL Rank in QB Rating

1999------St.L--------6-------------------1

2000------Bal---------2-------------------20

2001------NE----------24------------------5

2002------TB----------1-------------------15

2003------NE----------7-------------------10

2004------NE----------9-------------------8

2005------Pit---------4-------------------7

2006------Ind---------21------------------1

2007------NYG---------7-------------------24

2008------Pit---------1-------------------17

2009------NO----------25------------------2

2010------GB----------5-------------------3

It works both ways. Personally, if I'm picking in the top 5, I know I'm probably picking there because I don't have a franchise QB, so if I feel that there's a potential star at that position, I'm taking him without hesitation. That would especially be true for this year, as the defensive talent--specifically along the line--is very deep; there's the potential to land a starting 5-tech at the No. 34 pick with a player like Muhammad Wilkerson, Jurrell Casey, Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, or Steven Paea.

That said, if the teams isn't sold on a QB, there's no point in taking a player at No. 3 overall just for the sake of drafting a QB. I'd rather them pick a player they feel strongly about, regardless of position. I'm not going to complain if they pick a CB or a WR and he ends up a pro-bowler.

Fair and balanced. I would not be pissed if we did take a QB at #3 but it better be a guy we REALLY like. People go in opposite directions on this one. Some feel that we should go defense late because the class is deep. My feeling is since this draft class is so strong in defense and we draft really early in every round we should go defense. We are poised to potentially pick the best defensive player in every round. Any defensive picks we make have better potential than other years when the defensive class is weak. Our defense specifically LB and pass rusher are really weak. Imagine the talent we could amass on that side of the ball.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It works both ways. Personally, if I'm picking in the top 5, I know I'm probably picking there because I don't have a franchise QB, so if I feel that there's a potential star at that position, I'm taking him without hesitation.

That is a point that Gailey/Nix have emphasized. The brass doesn't want to be in this high draft status too often. So if they are in position to take a qb who they believe falls in the category of being an exceptional prospect it stands to reason that they will seize the opportunity. The Bills are not going to take a qb with the third pick in the draft if they don't have the conviction that the qb prospect falls in a special category. Nix has repeated the mantra since he took the job that he is not going to reach for any position. Taking Gabbert or Newton would mean that according to their scouts neither qb would be a reach.

That would especially be true for this year, as the defensive talent--specifically along the line--is very deep; there's the potential to land a starting 5-tech at the No. 34 pick with a player like Muhammad Wilkerson, Jurrell Casey, Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, or Steven Paea.

I don't understand the frantic argument that many people are making that just because you use your first pick on a qb you can't use the majority of the remaining picks to address some defensive needs.

That said, if the teams isn't sold on a QB, there's no point in taking a player at No. 3 overall just for the sake of drafting a QB. I'd rather them pick a player they feel strongly about, regardless of position. I'm not going to complain if they pick a CB or a WR and he ends up a pro-bowler.

If the Bills take a qb with the third pick that will certainly demonstrate that they strongly believe that the qb prospect is capable of being a franchise qb. Or it could simply mean that the owner is making the call??? :devil:

Here's the thing guys, there's no one way to win in the NFL, and I think too many people want to pigeon hole their argument down to either (a) "you can't win without a franchise QB" or (b) "defense wins championships". Which is the truth? Actually, both...and neither.

Look at the Superbowl winners going back to 1999 (why 1999? I don't know, it was as far as I was willing to go...call me lazy if you want to):

Year------Team------Def Rank------NFL Rank in QB Rating

1999------St.L--------6-------------------1

2000------Bal---------2-------------------20

2001------NE----------24------------------5

2002------TB----------1-------------------15

2003------NE----------7-------------------10

2004------NE----------9-------------------8

2005------Pit---------4-------------------7

2006------Ind---------21------------------1

2007------NYG---------7-------------------24

2008------Pit---------1-------------------17

2009------NO----------25------------------2

2010------GB----------5-------------------3

It works both ways. Personally, if I'm picking in the top 5, I know I'm probably picking there because I don't have a franchise QB, so if I feel that there's a potential star at that position, I'm taking him without hesitation. That would especially be true for this year, as the defensive talent--specifically along the line--is very deep; there's the potential to land a starting 5-tech at the No. 34 pick with a player like Muhammad Wilkerson, Jurrell Casey, Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, or Steven Paea.

I actually think it's pretty clear that SB winning teams have solid defenses. Just listing their rank doesn't tell the whole story. NE in 2001 may have had the 24th ranked Defense, but they had a defensive genius who knew how to strategize and exploit an offense. The game plan was to protect the ball and play solid D, using a scheme that confused Warner and the Rams, and it worked. You list N.O. as having the 25th ranked D in the league, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't until Greggo was brought in and they started playing better on that side of the ball that they won it all. There aren't a lot of examples, especially over the last twenty or thirty years, where a team with a great offense and crap defense won the SB. Teams that win the SB typically are very solid on that side of the ball. To a lesser extent, IMO, SB winning teams typically have a franchise caliber QB. So there we have it...to win the SB, you need a franchise QB and a dominant defense. Git'r'done.

I keep finding myself posting in this thread after reading others' posts.

Get a QB and build a defense. That's what we need to do. A QB is drafted with one pick. Defense is assembled with many. Draft a QB with the 3rd pick, if you think he's "the man". Build the defense with the majority of remaining picks this year and focus on building on it in next years draft. Let's face it, we aren't gonna win the SB next year. Acquire the pieces that we need, which is QB and multiple players on defense over the next couple years and hope we chose right. History suggests that QBs chosen in the 1st round, have a much higher chance to succeed, than those drafted later. A first round QB should be in this teams near future, whether its this year, next or the following. Either you like cam or hate him. Either you like gabbert or you don't. The question is, do the bills like them? If they do, and they're available, one will be a bill. If they like them, and don't draft them, we have more serious issues than we thought.

Personally, I think both gabbert and newton have a lot of skills that translate well to the NfL. I won't be pissed if we don't draft one because we do have other needs and there are a few players in this draft that I think can really help this team. If we aren't sold on them, so be it. Draft someone else that can help this team, but they better not be sold on Fitz or Levi as "the guy" for the next seasons. I like Fitz, but I think we need a better QB if we're to ever win the SB, even if we put together that top defense everyone is clamoring about. Just remember, if we don't draft a defensive player with the 3rd pick, that doesnt mean all is lost and our d will suck for the next 5 years. We can still assemble a good defense with our other picks, FA, trade and next years draft, FA and trades. Don't act like 1 pick will determine our defenses destiny.