Little Danny Snyder tells Post to remove team name

Beerball

link

If somebody at the Post has a sense of humor they should come up with a catchy substitute.

Redskins Insider becomes:

indigenous peoples insider

or

bad free agent pick-up insider

or

Failing to Meet Expectations Since 1999!

How To Sue Your Season Ticket Holders Insider!

... I need my coffee.

Seriously, isn't it about time to ditch this whole Redskins moniker? I mean, come on, it's 2011 ffs.

Could you imagine the **** storm that would ensue if a franchise tried to change their name to Blackskins? Think about it - the Atlanta Blackskins? The Miami Brownskins?

Not even in anyone's wildest dream would that fly, yet somehow Redskins is kosher.

Yeah, really. Why not jsut call them "The Scalpers"?

Hmmmm. I guess that would be confusing around the stadium on game day.

WEO, I live in a Maryland suberb, Redskin territory. The fanbase is very fed up with the owner and how he has run the franchise. On one side of the issue is they are tired of the hideously inept management by the owner. They overwhelmingly wanted him to stop with his outlandish free agency pursuit. The owner has in a major way rectified that side of the problem by putting the football operations in the hands of Mike Shanahan.

The bigger and more troublesome side of the operation is that the fanbase is fed up with the owner's perpetual money squeeze. Re-labling a seat one has sat in for years from a lower premium seat to a higher premium seat has caused a lot of resentment. The parking charges are outrageous. The concession pricing is at a gauging level.

Danny Snyder is one of the most reviled owners in the sport. He doesn't care. He has lowered his profile somewhat and continues to rake it in. He is a very happy man. He is a businessman.

Edited by JohnC

WEO, I live in a Maryland suberb, Redskin territory. The fanbase is very fed up with the owner and how he has run the franchise. On one side of the issue is they are tired of the hideously inept management by the owner. They overwhelmingly wanted him to stop with his outlandish free agency pursuit. The owner has in a major way rectified that side of the problem by putting the football operations in the hands of Mike Shanahan.

The bigger and more troublesome side of the operation is that the fanbase is fed up with the owner's perpetual money squeeze. Re-labling a seat one has sat in for years from a lower premium seat to a higher premium seat has caused a lot of resentment. The parking charges are outrageous. The concession pricing is at a gauging level.

Danny Snyder is one of the most reviled owners in the sport. He doesn't care. He has lowered his profile somewhat and continues to rake it in. He is a very happy man. He is a businessman.

He represents the "new NFL" .... all about money

He represents the "new NFL" .... all about money

I responded on this topic in another posting so I won't overdo the response. Owners such as Jerry Jones, Danny Snyder and Robert Kraft have a very different vision for the NFL. Their business model is the MLB model where a few high revenue teams such as the Yankees and Red Sox dominate the business. They are willing to share the proceeds only up to a more limited point. They see Buffalo and the other smaller revenue franchises not as business partners but as a nuisances getting in their way for retaining more of their own revenue. If they had their way they would pay for the moving fans to uproot the Buffalo franchise and move it west toward the richer LA market.

Edited by JohnC

Seriously, isn't it about time to ditch this whole Redskins moniker? I mean, come on, it's 2011 ffs.

Could you imagine the **** storm that would ensue if a franchise tried to change their name to Blackskins? Think about it - the Atlanta Blackskins? The Miami Brownskins?

Not even in anyone's wildest dream would that fly, yet somehow Redskins is kosher.

Isn't that racist?

Who cares, am I pissed about the fighting Irish? Hell no I love it!

I responded on this topic in another posting so I won't overdo the response. Owners such as Jerry Jones, Danny Snyder and Robert Kraft have a very different vision for the NFL. Their business model is the MLB model where a few high revenue teams such as the Yankees and Red Sox dominate the business. They are willing to share the proceeds only up to a more limited point. They see Buffalo and the other smaller revenue franchises not as business partners but as a nuisances getting in their way for retaining more of their own revenue. If they had their way they would pay for the moving fans to uproot the Buffalo franchise and move it west toward the richer LA market.

What, are they going to blow the whole team all the way to LA? :devil:

My guess is that the big money guys probably view the small market guys generally as a necessary evil and they realize that the big money to be found comes from using the small markets as an ally in the battle to get money back from their uppity workers.

Specifically, Kraft likely looks at Mr. Ralph and sees two guaranteed wins a year for the past decade and Snyder looks at the Bills as the thing which along with Detroit cushions him from being the worst in the league.

If only we were that important in their eyes beyond being an annoyance.

really? Come on, because certain tribes were fierce, especially in the northeast where the Redskins franchise originates from, I see no problem calling a team by that name. If they were called the Featherhead arrowshooters, or worshippers of the moon or some crap like that, you may have a point. You sound like a PETA freak who whines about teams being named after animals.

I see no problem with most names as they are meant to be fierce and in honor of a group of people or animals. You don't see pissed off Norseman whining about Minnesota, you don't see leprechauns with a pot of gold next to touchdown Jesus with picket signs, and you don't see irate sailors protesting in the Black Hole. The only thing that ever should be done to a team name is this:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/xQmsBEpDoAg

!@#$ You Dolphin!!!!

Edited by justnzane

I know I'll take some heat here, but you are wrong to include Kraft in that group. He has, over and over, publicly stated that he believes firmly in revenue sharing model of the NFL. When guys like Richardson were getting up to walk out on negotiations, he made them stay. He doesn't spend wildly on FAs and keeps his team under the cap (his player salaries have been under 100 million in '08/'09--far lower than the Bills). He invested hundreds of millions in that patriot town in Foxborough--I bet the non football fans in that dumpy town aren't unhappy about that. Look at the area around Ralph Wilson Stadium for comaprison. The guy's a business man--the goal of all business is to make money.

I know I'll take some heat here, but you are wrong to include Kraft in that group. He has, over and over, publicly stated that he believes firmly in revenue sharing model of the NFL. When guys like Richardson were getting up to walk out on negotiations, he made them stay. He doesn't spend wildly on FAs and keeps his team under the cap (his player salaries have been under 100 million in '08/'09--far lower than the Bills). He invested hundreds of millions in that patriot town in Foxborough--I bet the non football fans in that dumpy town aren't unhappy about that. Look at the area around Ralph Wilson Stadium for comaprison. The guy's a business man--the goal of all business is to make money.

Your point is well taken. I made the mistake of lumping in the big money franchises together when there is a distinction within that golden rank. Jones and Snyder's money impulses are unbridled where Kraft has a more mature and broader vision.

There are a number of good franchises that the Bills could use as a model. Steelers, Packers and Ravens come to mind. The Pats are another terrific model to follow in the way they manage their operation. One thing that Kraft has done well is invest in quality football staff. He has put a lot of resources in the scouting department. When Parcells wanted total control in the drafting and personnel Kraft told him no. The prickly Parcells then left. Kraft's position was that he didn't invest in the operation in order to have a lone wolf operation. He wanted to have a sustainable operation, not dependent on the whims of a dominant figure.

Over the years the Pats have lost a lot of assistant coaches and staff such as Dimitroff and Pioli. They continue to thrive because they continue to cultivate their own staff. Do you think that Kraft would have brought in a Levy type character to help rescue a flagging operation? Do you think that Kraft would be so weird as to have his marketing guru preside over his football operation?

Again, you make a good point. I backpeddle from my generalization.

The problem is that the NFL and maybe MLB will then fight a war of attrition. Perhaps the message is that there are too many franchises. I still say LA could care less about pro football. I lived there when they had the Rams and the raiders and people did not care. Small market teams generallly have very passionate fan bases. The league losses if these fans are alienated.

The problem is that the NFL and maybe MLB will then fight a war of attrition. Perhaps the message is that there are too many franchises. I still say LA could care less about pro football. I lived there when they had the Rams and the raiders and people did not care. Small market teams generallly have very passionate fan bases. The league losses if these fans are alienated.

A certain faction of the owners are not looking at the NFL from a fan standpoint or even from a long term sustainability standpoint. Their mentality is more of an immediate grab what you can now. Sharing revenue for the greater good is not how they think.

I agree with you that the fanbase in LA is more blase than fervent. However, some of the golden boys don't view LA from a fanbase standpoint. They simply see it as a richer market to tap into.