Troup Means Business

So I've been following Troup and a few others during the off season to see what they're up to. Troup has been hitting the gym like a mad man and has been putting on some serious muscle.

Im at a solid 326 lbs!!!

about 6 hours ago via Echofon

I know he didn't dominate his rookie season but be on the lookout for this guy to be a force for our defense next season. He seems hungry and looking to put in work.

So I've been following Troup and a few others during the off season to see what they're up to. Troup has been hitting the gym like a mad man and has been putting on some serious muscle.

I know he didn't dominate his rookie season but be on the lookout for this guy to be a force for our defense next season. He seems hungry and looking to put in work.

That's better, he sure didn't gain weight from the ab-wheel so he must have been hitting the real lifts more than he claimed earlier.

He also bowls alot. I told him he needed to challenge Arthur to a "bowling duel". He said "he not ready". *LOL* Sooooooo....being the instigator that I am, I told Arthur and Arthur said "whenever he want it! He never seen me bowl so I'll get him". 0:)

Troup is going to be one of those 10 - 12 year vet's. He and Carrington, + our #3 pick will create one of the young dominant D-Lines for years to come. And all three will make Kyle Williams better, how scary is that! Now only if we can upgrade on LB's, the Bills D will have all the pieces in place.

Troup was slotted at a position where Kyle Williams really emerged and got most of the snaps, and ended up in Hawaii.

While Troup is a great NT prospect, he is also extremely quick off the snap and can penetrate, and is athletic.

The Bills need to get both KW and Troup on the field, because it is wasteful to sit either.

Hopefully, that is the plan, to switch to a one gap 4-3 with Troup and KW as the DTs. If that is the plan, the Bills won't admit it until after the Draft.

Carrington Troup KW Merriman/Maybin/OTHER/

OTHER ...

includes Draft picks and FAs like

Jason Babin UFA 12 sacks with TN last year, and got the cold shoulder from the Titans pre-strike

Troup is going to be one of those 10 - 12 year vet's. He and Carrington, + our #3 pick will create one of the young dominant D-Lines for years to come. And all three will make Kyle Williams better, how scary is that! Now only if we can upgrade on LB's, the Bills D will have all the pieces in place.

I tend to agree with this, I dont know about the dominate part, I'm hoping for the dominant part. I think Troup will be one if those guys that is an intricale cog and will keep churning for a team for 10 years.

I hope he does become dominant.

I tend to agree with this, I dont know about the dominate part, I'm hoping for the dominant part. I think Troup will be one if those guys that is an intricale cog and will keep churning for a team for 10 years.

Plus D Bell has a full offseason lifting and getting bigger, quicker , faster as well. He did nothing but rehab the Knee prior to last year, so he looked like a basketball player in a football uniform. This offseason he does the full body program.. look for him to be a different looking/playing guy this year as well.

Troup was slotted at a position where Kyle Williams really emerged and got most of the snaps, and ended up in Hawaii.

While Troup is a great NT prospect, he is also extremely quick off the snap and can penetrate, and is athletic.

The Bills need to get both KW and Troup on the field, because it is wasteful to sit either.

Hopefully, that is the plan, to switch to a one gap 4-3 with Troup and KW as the DTs. If that is the plan, the Bills won't admit it until after the Draft.

OTHER ...

Jason Babin UFA 12 sacks with TN last year, and got the cold shoulder from the Titans pre-strike

I doubt the pronouncement by Nix that the team is committed to the 3-4 defense is a diversion tactic. That's why I believe the "stopping the run and drafting a defensive lineman" opinion could be where we as fans are the ones not admitting. I think the FO most certainly likes several of the D-Line players coming out of the draft, but I don't think they are sharing the same thoughts most fans have, when we say "they will be abandoning our biggest need if they don't draft one" and go with say a Peterson.

Say the Bills do draft a guy like Dareus and they are committed to the 3-4. So the lineup would be Carrington, Williams, and Dareus right? Or at least eventually that would be the starting lineup plan. Then when does Troup play? If you believe (and I do), that we will see the 4-3 being used, doesn't that mean that's where Kelsay enters the lineup? Which would mean either Troup or Dareus doesn't play in the 4-3 and Troup wouldn't play in the 3-4. Certainly the rookie and Troup aren't going to be designated as situational players long term.

That's why I think the FO may not be going D-Line much to the fans dismay.

Troup can play DE in a 3-4, and likely could be really good there.

I don't think anyone can say whether Nix is telling the truth about the 3-4 or not. Historically speaking, when GMs talk Jan-April, they usually lie.

Granted, aside from Poz, the LB core isn't much 4-3. Torbor can play 4-3 SAM. But a switch back to 4-3 would require more LBs.

It is interesting to "tally up" the "needs" for 4-3 and 3-4, and see which requires more new faces, and the relative expense of such. 4-3 LBs usually are less expensive than other positions, especially DL. Dareus is a very good player, but he isn't going to get to the QB much. Is that really what the 3rd pick in the Draft is supposed to do, just occupy two blockers? Maybe, if you are Scott Pioli and Tyson Jackson is your guy...

Dareus is better than Tyson Jackson, but a #3 overall should be more than just a "run stuffer."

OTHER ...

I like this, I was thinking about the Bills going back to the 4-3 and drafting accordingly

1. Dareus or Fairley or Bower 2. Justin Houston, Martez Wilson, Stephen Paea 3. Marvin Austin, Kenrick Ellis, Jarvis Jenkins, Allen Bailey, Brooks Reed

I'd like Dareus,Houston,Austin but you can see other combinations that get you 2DTs and a RDE

LDE Carrington/Edwards DTs Williams,Troup,Dareus,Austin RDE Merriman/Houston

Bower,Paea,Ellis

LDE Carrington/Edwards DTs Williams,Troup,Paea,Ellis RDE Merriman/Bower

Fairley, Paea, Brooks

LDE Carrington/Edwards DTs Williams,Troup, Fairley,Paea RDE Merriman/Brooks

one of the reasons I like the 4-3 a little better is there seems to be a lot more athletic LBs in the 230-240 range then LBs in the 240-250 who can cover anyone.

I think that cog will fit in like Pat Williams. He was never the most outstanding player or the one that got all of the light but what he did was grind away play after play.

Carrington and Moats have me waiting.

I doubt the pronouncement by Nix that the team is committed to the 3-4 defense is a diversion tactic. That's why I believe the "stopping the run and drafting a defensive lineman" opinion could be where we as fans are the ones not admitting. I think the FO most certainly likes several of the D-Line players coming out of the draft, but I don't think they are sharing the same thoughts most fans have, when we say "they will be abandoning our biggest need if they don't draft one" and go with say a Peterson.

Say the Bills do draft a guy like Dareus and they are committed to the 3-4. So the lineup would be Carrington, Williams, and Dareus right? Or at least eventually that would be the starting lineup plan. Then when does Troup play? If you believe (and I do), that we will see the 4-3 being used, doesn't that mean that's where Kelsay enters the lineup? Which would mean either Troup or Dareus doesn't play in the 4-3 and Troup wouldn't play in the 3-4. Certainly the rookie and Troup aren't going to be designated as situational players long term.

That's why I think the FO may not be going D-Line much to the fans dismay.

Nix's statement is a diversion tactic. we weren't a 3-4 team the last ten games last year and we won't be this year. We don't have a true nose tackle. providing Troup can play, we will play the 4-3. We MAY play the 3-4 on third down, just so Merriman can rush the passer as part of a four man rush. That is the totality of our commitment to the 3-4, especially with Wanstedt on board.

^^^

This

1. Robert Quinn

2. Martez Wilson

All of a sudden our defensive line, and our run defense, looks a lot better.

Nix's statement is a diversion tactic. we weren't a 3-4 team the last ten games last year and we won't be this year. We don't have a true nose tackle. providing Troup can play, we will play the 4-3. We MAY play the 3-4 on third down, just so Merriman can rush the passer as part of a four man rush. That is the totality of our commitment to the 3-4, especially with Wanstedt on board.

Troup definitely can play NT, but he is a better asset as a DT in a 4-3.

Merriman is a stud 4-3 DE if he is healthy. Was at Maryland too...

With a kid like Carrington at one DE, what you can do is line the other DE out wide, a "disguised 3-4" where the wide DE drops off into an LB assignment 20-30% of the time. Merriman would be perfect for that if the knee gets back to 100%.

Pitt definitely played a 4-3...

There's no doubt we weren't a 3-4 team totally last year, but it was the beginning of the transformation. I think the trend will continue this year. The reason I think that is our GM keeps saying it.

Troup is at a good weight hope he can maybe get into the 330 range without losing mobility. Most 3-4 NT's are 325-335 but I think Troup is an inch taller than most so a few extra pounds couldn't hurt to compensate for that. But I am very high on Troup I think that if he proves himself to be a run stuffer at the NT position we could then put Williams at the DE and have a much improved line if we draft a killer DE.