Mayock's top 32

If we were to stick to the top of these Mock drafts and go with one of the top two DE's, OLB's, CB's we're going to end up with a star. Quinn, Von Miller, Dareus, Fairley, Peterson - any one of those guys would help us. I thought of the prospect of getting Quinn/Miller in RD 1 and Wilson in RD 2 (who, coincidentally, has virtually the same measurables as Miller in speed, strenght, quickness) and I see us going forward with Quinn/Miller, Poz, Wilson, Moats/Merriman - and we've got a dynamite linebacker corps for the next five years or so. In the third pick up the best DE we can - and there should be a good one still available, or a QB who drops, and by the end of this draft we could plug up some major holes with some real NFL quality talent.

I really believe after this draft we should have many fewer holes, and be looking at finally going into 2012 offseason as one where we can put the finishing touches on a contender.

If we were to stick to the top of these Mock drafts and go with one of the top two DE's, OLB's, CB's we're going to end up with a star. Quinn, Von Miller, Dareus, Fairley, Peterson - any one of those guys would help us. I thought of the prospect of getting Quinn/Miller in RD 1 and Wilson in RD 2 (who, coincidentally, has virtually the same measurables as Miller in speed, strenght, quickness) and I see us going forward with Quinn/Miller, Poz, Wilson, Moats/Merriman - and we've got a dynamite linebacker corps for the next five years or so. In the third pick up the best DE we can - and there should be a good one still available, or a QB who drops, and by the end of this draft we could plug up some major holes with some real NFL quality talent.

I really believe after this draft we should have many fewer holes, and be looking at finally going into 2012 offseason as one where we can put the finishing touches on a contender.

That would be a nice LB corp. I'd be happy. Hopefully poz resigns and isn't asked to cover TEs very often

Mayock on Fairley:

"To me he's a lightning rod. I was at his pro day workout, and from a foot-speed perspective, it doesn't get much better than what he can do. He ran through the bag drills, and it was ridiculous. However, he's a boom-or-bust guy. Right now, I have him here, but he's got more talent than that. Depending on what type of kid he is, I could have him dropping out of the first round entirely."

Mayock on Fairley:

Depending on what type of kid he is, I could have him dropping out of the first round entirely."

Oh man. If the Bills could get Dareus at three and Fairley in the second round, won't happen, but it's a nice dream.

Oh man. If the Bills could get Dareus at three and Fairley in the second round, won't happen, but it's a nice dream.

Imagine the size of he chip on Fairley's shoulder if he DID drop out of the first? He'd play like a man possessed. Can't see it happening though.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Dareus goes at number 2 to Denver at this point and the Panthers draft a QB.

But anyways, I wouldn't be upset with the Bills drafting any of the defensive lineman that will likely be available at 3, whether its Dareus, Fairley or even Bowers. That being said, with the Bills running a 3-4, we need to remember that the front 3 is not the most important aspect of a 3-4 defense from a play-making standpoint. The play-making comes from the linebackers, a unit that is currently atrocious in terms of talent. That is why I'm more in favor of Miller, though I won't throw a fit with Quinn (even though I think the love affair Bills fans have with him is bizarre, I do think he'll turn out to be the real deal).

We don't get the Miller love. Put up great numbers, but that was done with speed. In the NFL you are not going to out-speed your way to sacks. You have to have strength and moves and be able to take on blockers.

We also don't get the Dareus love. The guy is as dumb as a box of rocks and looked kind of average last year since he was double teamed often. Why is a guy who can't fight off double teams in college so sought after and considered a top pick?

Robert Quinn is the perfect defensive beast that this team needs. Leader, baller, has size, speed, build and ability to be the best LB in the league in a very short time. IMO the only other guys who would have a true "impact" on our defense would be Fairley or Peterson.

We don't get the Miller love. Put up great numbers, but that was done with speed. In the NFL you are not going to out-speed your way to sacks. You have to have strength and moves and be able to take on blockers.

We also don't get the Dareus love. The guy is as dumb as a box of rocks and looked kind of average last year since he was double teamed often. Why is a guy who can't fight off double teams in college so sought after and considered a top pick?

Robert Quinn is the perfect defensive beast that this team needs. Leader, baller, has size, speed, build and ability to be the best LB in the league in a very short time. IMO the only other guys who would have a true "impact" on our defense would be Fairley or Peterson.

From what I can see the only thing Quinn has over Miller is his weight. Miller will most likely end up at around 255-260. But for that size advantage, it's not like Quinn is much stronger (1 extra rep at 225). He certainly didn't exhibit more explosion at the combine. Nor does be move in space as well. Without that strength, explosion, and agility, I don't see how he projects to be the best LB "in a very short time."

That said, I'm hoping that his performance at the combine was an off day and that his pro day will put to rest some of the questions people have about him.

GO BILLS!!!

From what I can see the only thing Quinn has over Miller is his weight. Miller will most likely end up at around 255-260. But for that size advantage, it's not like Quinn is much stronger (1 extra rep at 225). He certainly didn't exhibit more explosion at the combine. Nor does be move in space as well. Without that strength, explosion, and agility, I don't see how he projects to be the best LB "in a very short time."

That said, I'm hoping that his performance at the combine was an off day and that his pro day will put to rest some of the questions people have about him.

GO BILLS!!!

Quinn really didn't have a poor combine. By all accounts he hit the base marks that people expected he'd hit. The thing is that the expectations were so high that the perception was that it was a bad combine.

I think Miller is that combine numbers guy that people draft higher than where he should really go. Also, to me Quinn's big size is natural where I see Miller trying to bulk up to hit the magic number. Finally, just imagine if you would, the specimen that Quinn would look like if he played two extra seasons and was a senior like Miller? We'd never have a shot at him. I think that Quinn's stock rises right before the draft and tempts the Panthers who will eventually go with Newton at #1. The Broncos are the wildcard here, I hope they fall in love with Dareus.

Quinn really didn't have a poor combine. By all accounts he hit the base marks that people expected he'd hit. The thing is that the expectations were so high that the perception was that it was a bad combine.

I think Miller is that combine numbers guy that people draft higher than where he should really go. Also, to me Quinn's big size is natural where I see Miller trying to bulk up to hit the magic number. Finally, just imagine if you would, the specimen that Quinn would look like if he played two extra seasons and was a senior like Miller? We'd never have a shot at him. I think that Quinn's stock rises right before the draft and tempts the Panthers who will eventually go with Newton at #1. The Broncos are the wildcard here, I hope they fall in love with Dareus.

Good point about the expectations for Quinn. Impossible to live up to. Quinn did have a decent combine. Just not in comparison to other OLBs. As a DE he was damned impressive except for his strength. I hope he has a great pro day. That time off is a big question mark so he has to knock the socks off people with his athleticism.

I have to disagree about Miller being one of those Mamula-like combine wonders, though. Miller has a well established four year career and he was slated as a top 10 pick before the combine, top five in some articles, if memory serves (and there's a good chance it doesn't). Plus, the kid played half his senior season on a high ankle sprain and didn't complain once. And he STILL had a terrific year. Finally, his performance at the Senior Bowl was hard to ignore. The Bills' staff asked him to play 4-3 OLB for the first time in his career against some of the best competition in the country and he nailed it.

It's a shame Quinn didn't have the same opportunity to impress the Bills coaches, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Good point about the expectations for Quinn. Impossible to live up to. Quinn did have a decent combine. Just not in comparison to other OLBs. As a DE he was damned impressive except for his strength. I hope he has a great pro day. That time off is a big question mark so he has to knock the socks off people with his athleticism.

I have to disagree about Miller being one of those Mamula-like combine wonders, though. Miller has a well established four year career and he was slated as a top 10 pick before the combine, top five in some articles, if memory serves (and there's a good chance it doesn't). Plus, the kid played half his senior season on a high ankle sprain and didn't complain once. And he STILL had a terrific year. Finally, his performance at the Senior Bowl was hard to ignore. The Bills' staff asked him to play 4-3 OLB for the first time in his career against some of the best competition in the country and he nailed it.

It's a shame Quinn didn't have the same opportunity to impress the Bills coaches, though.

GO BILLS!!!

If he has a good showing at his pro day then you can bet the Bills take him before they'll take the guy who was just suing them before the draft. I can just see Wilson walking in and personally taking Von Miller's name off the big board and throwing it in the trash...LOL

Mayock is consistently the best at these things, and I fully value his individual player ratings more than my own :)

I have been saying since the week after the championship game that Fairley would drop, and I have been big on Dareus. I hope Dareus lasts until our pick, as I think he has a very high ceiling, and also a very high floor (low risk player).

His Miller rating surprises me, because I still think he will be light to be able to make a real impact and move from very good player to a true great, but I'm starting to think I am undervaluing him.

Peterson at #3 still seems way to high and on measurables mostly. You hear about his weight and 40 time much more than his ball skills and coverage skills, and I think the later two play a much larger role than the first two in being a difference maker at corner. I would be very disappointed if he were our pick.

Gabbert, Green, and Quinn all have their value and could all be considered at #3. I think that is too high for Green and it takes a lot for a WR to really be a top 3 pick, while Gabbert and Quinn are both risks that aren't locks to fit in right and be elite football players, but both have tremendous ceilings.

Mayock is consistently the best at these things, and I fully value his individual player ratings more than my own :)

I have been saying since the week after the championship game that Fairley would drop, and I have been big on Dareus. I hope Dareus lasts until our pick, as I think he has a very high ceiling, and also a very high floor (low risk player).

His Miller rating surprises me, because I still think he will be light to be able to make a real impact and move from very good player to a true great, but I'm starting to think I am undervaluing him.

Peterson at #3 still seems way to high and on measurables mostly. You hear about his weight and 40 time much more than his ball skills and coverage skills, and I think the later two play a much larger role than the first two in being a difference maker at corner. I would be very disappointed if he were our pick.

Gabbert, Green, and Quinn all have their value and could all be considered at #3. I think that is too high for Green and it takes a lot for a WR to really be a top 3 pick, while Gabbert and Quinn are both risks that aren't locks to fit in right and be elite football players, but both have tremendous ceilings.

Seriously, what did Dareus do this year that rates him so high in your eyes? I just got done watching a youtube clip of him against LSU...

...and he doesn't even look like a 1st rounder let alone #3 overall. I get that people here are looking at him like he might be the next Ndamukong Suh, but at least Suh dominated in his last year in college. Dareus didn't. People say that he was double teamed so that led to his disappointing season, but that doesn't wash because Suh was probably double and triple teamed yet still dominated. This is a red flag that so many here just choose to outright ignore. Dareus was NOT dominating last year! He's this year's Gerald McCoy. Plus, the guy's supposedly not very bright at all.

Yet you feel that Dareus is low risk? I just don't get it.

I want a player that dominated his opponents in his last year in college. Robert Quinn did that, and also Fairley did that. Dareus did not do that. I think Dareus will eventually be considered a bust (since he's desitined to go in the top 5) when all is said and done.