How Long Before The Nuclear Power Plant Situation..

Dante

A friend of mine is married to a Japanese girl. Told me she was taught in school in Japan that the US started the war on Japan during WWII. :lol:

I am married to a Japanese girl. And there's no question that the history they are taught in school differs from the one that is taught in ours. Guess what: neither version are the complete truth.

There are no squeaky-clean countries to be found in this world.. Nearly all groups of humans, throughout history, have come up with some rationale (Gott mit uns, Manifest Destiny, etc.,) for mistreating some other group of humans. They're all just excuses. And everyone likes to emphasize the horror of the other guys' atrocities while denying or defending their own.

It also, sadly, seems to be the case that pretty much all governments lie to their own people some or most of the time.

By the way, my brother-in-law works for one of Japan's regional electric power companies (not TEPCO) and he is busy as hell right now. Every time there's an earthquake of any size in Japan, he gets a stack of paperwork as tall as his computer monitor; the current situation has basically ensured he won't even be able to leave his office for the foreseeable future.

As a side note, much of the speculation on this board (as elsewhere) about the design, location, backup systems, disaster-preparedness and so on, of the Japanese nuclear power plants, would be characterized, charitably, as "laughable." (Seriously folks, graphite in the core? In a BWR??)

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side note, much of the speculation on this board (as elsewhere) about the design, location, backup systems, disaster-preparedness and so on, of the Japanese nuclear power plants, would be characterized, charitably, as "laughable." (Seriously folks, graphite in the core? In a BWR??)

Who said that here? Graphite was only brought up as comparison to Chernobyl.

Who said that here? Graphite was only brought up as comparison to Chernobyl.

It was mentioned in the shoutbox by some mouth-breather (specifically, using "liquid graphite" as a coolant. :wallbash: If you don't know what it is or what it does, just shut the hell up.) Here, the most stupid thing said has been "weapons-grade plutonium".

The speculation here has been...tolerable, I think. In the shoutbox, it's been unbearably stupid. In the media...I've still only seen two articles without factual errors.

It was mentioned in the shoutbox by some mouth-breather (specifically, using "liquid graphite" as a coolant. :wallbash: If you don't know what it is or what it does, just shut the hell up.) Here, the most stupid thing said has been "weapons-grade plutonium".

The speculation here has been...tolerable, I think. In the shoutbox, it's been unbearably stupid. In the media...I've still only seen two articles without factual errors.

Yeah, I was bouncing back & forth between the shoutbox & catching up on the board posts, so I forget where I saw that particular gem.

Thanks for the reminder on why I disabled the Shoutbox.

Yeah, I was bouncing back & forth between the shoutbox & catching up on the board posts, so I forget where I saw that particular gem.

The shoutbox is just !@#$ing painful. "Why don't they...?" Because you don't know what you're talking about, shut the !@#$ up. My favorite from the media was "As much radiation has been released as one person gets in an average year." What the !@#$ does that even mean?

Most people, you could replace "radiation" with "magic" in any statement they make, and it would make as much sense for all they know about it.

In your estimation, is there any chance that these reactors could exterminate the entire population of Japan?

In your estimation, is there any chance that these reactors could exterminate the entire population of Japan?

No, just Tokyo.

I mean, look at the progression of events: earthquake...tidal wave...nuclear accident. What comes next in that series of events?

A friend of mine is married to a Japanese girl. Told me she was taught in school in Japan that the US started the war on Japan during WWII. :lol:

Ya, guess you missed the fact that in our coutry many people actually believe the south didn't start the civil war to maintain white supremacy. Did you see Mississippi wanted to put a murderer of American soldiers on their license plats? Nathan Bedford Forest is actually the name of some schools in the south.

No, just Tokyo.

I mean, look at the progression of events: earthquake...tidal wave...nuclear accident. What comes next in that series of events?

Godzilla?

Ya, guess you missed the fact that in our coutry many people actually believe the south didn't start the civil war to maintain white supremacy. Did you see Mississippi wanted to put a murderer of American soldiers on their license plats? Nathan Bedford Forest is actually the name of some schools in the south.

Nathaniel Bedford Forrest.

How dramatic. "maintain white supremacy" = Maintain the status quo of extremely cheap labor. It was a money making deal both ways. Thats including the guys that sold the slaves.

I guess I'm not blessed with the intelligence to walk and chew gun at the same time because I can not shoutbox and PPP at the same time although, I never actually tried to walk and chew gun at the same time.

No, no, You eat gun, you don't chew it. You chew potassium cyanide. Silly rabbit.

No, just Tokyo.

Outsourcing 1,000,000 Merry Maids?

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

....in Japan is politicized and exploited by environmentalists? May be inappropriate to even speculate but I think in about 36hours. Unless its already happened and I just haven't picked up on it. I know Hillary is promising coolant to help Japan out but apparently the plant in question is water cooled so coolant could not be used. Not claiming to be a expert but one on the radio was talking about it.

You can't do anything without some risk, but I have no problem with anyone being cautious. What is going on in Japan is horrific. I feel awful for them.