Terry Pegula would be the NFL's third-richest owner

it sounded pretty clear he wasn't interested in buying the Bills at this point. however, I'm curious if his older son would have any interest in owning or running the team in the future. In the mean time Golisano + others still looks like the most likely owner. Also, we shouldn't rule out another person like Pegula wanting the bills. anyone from WNY with deep pockets might be interested (and that includes both of the Rich brothers who combined are worth nearly $3bil).

Serious question: does the NFL allow the owner of a team in one of the 3 other major sports leagues in the US buy a NFL franchise?

I thought i heard somewhere in the past that that was not allowed.

Paul Allen owns one of the Big Euro soccer teams doesn't he?

Good question because there are a few NHL/NBA owners but I can't think of an NFL/NBA or MLB or NHL owner.

If Pegula can talk some sense to the owners to settle the labor dispute than get him an ownership.

Serious question: does the NFL allow the owner of a team in one of the 3 other major sports leagues in the US buy a NFL franchise?

I thought i heard somewhere in the past that that was not allowed.

Yes you can, but the teams have to be from the same city/market.

Paul Allen owns one of the Big Euro soccer teams doesn't he?

Good question because there are a few NHL/NBA owners but I can't think of an NFL/NBA or MLB or NHL owner.

If Pegula can talk some sense to the owners to settle the labor dispute than get him an ownership.

Paul Allen owns the Portland Trailblazers and the Seahawks, as well as a MLS team (Seattle Sounders FC).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Allen

Nevermind, someone just posted this. :wallbash:

Edited by machinegun12

I had lunch with #393 last year.

Really, because I don't remember having lunch with you?

Pegula can handle losing 10-20 million a year without it affecting him. Would owning a small-market NFL team make sense? I guess I have no idea how much the Bills make/loss, but if owning the Bills affects him owning the Sabres in any way, I'm against it.

I hope there really is another group that would make more sense.

it sounded pretty clear he wasn't interested in buying the Bills at this point. however, I'm curious if his older son would have any interest in owning or running the team in the future. In the mean time Golisano + others still looks like the most likely owner. Also, we shouldn't rule out another person like Pegula wanting the bills. anyone from WNY with deep pockets might be interested (and that includes both of the Rich brothers who combined are worth nearly $3bil).

Pegula's not buying the Bills. Go get Golisano to do that. He'll make sure they break even :worthy:

Really, because I don't remember having lunch with you?

Pegula can handle losing 10-20 million a year without it affecting him. Would owning a small-market NFL team make sense? I guess I have no idea how much the Bills make/loss, but if owning the Bills affects him owning the Sabres in any way, I'm against it.

I hope there really is another group that would make more sense.

You're heart needs to be in the sport. Pegula lives and breathes the Buffalo Sabres. He's all about hockey. His whole existence right now is to bring the Stanley Cup to Buffalo. He isn't going to buy the Bills.

Buffalo needs a huge football fan Billionare to buy the Bills. Someone who loves the Bills as much as Pegula loves the Sabres.

I wouldn't read too much into anyone saying they will or won't buy the Bills. Not until the team is actually on the block. Hopefully that day won't be happening too soon.

PTR

If there is an owner who would keep the team in WNY, then this day could not happen soon enough.

If there is an owner who would keep the team in WNY, then this day could not happen soon enough.

When Pegula was officially named the owner he was asked how he would do things differently? One of his responses was that he would invest more in the scouting department. That is the type of forward thinking that doesn't exist from a particular football owner.

The prior owner, Tom Golisano, made the comment at a press conference announcing the sale that he was offered substantially more for the team by an out of town bidder. He said no to the offer. In fact, he claimed that one of the terms in the contract to sell to Pegula was that he couldn't move the team as an owner.

Peguala is working well for the Sabres, so far...did you see this article from the Buffalo News today? It may all be cosmetic, but it is clear that this guy LOVES owning this team:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article363953.ece

Love the last paragraph:

"We're committed to being slug-free by the beginning of next year," Black said. "The real important part of this process is we're engaging the fans. We're listening, and we're doing something."

As far as possibly owning the Bills, I think Promo is right. You have to take anything he says right now,with a grain of salt. When Pegula's name first started floating around as a potential/likely owner for the Sabres, there was an article (i wish I could remember where) where the writer was trying to give us more info on this "mystery man, Terry Pegula". They spoke with a business associate of Pegulas, and this person gushed about what a great job he would do with the Sabres...when the question of his interest in the Bills came up, the Pegula pal said the billionaire would "definitely" be interested in the Bills, as well. Of course, I realize this is not Pegula himself saying it, but he can't. IMHO, he is, correctly, being deferential to the still, very living, Ralph Wilson. It would be crude for him to openly speculate buying a franchise, when its' current owner dies.

Who knows...maybe he is interested in the Bills, maybe not. I am still on a "Pegula-high" from his involvement with the Sabres...it is fun to dream...so far so good with the hockey team..

Edited by Buftex

Love the last paragraph:

"We're committed to being slug-free by the beginning of next year," Black said. "The real important part of this process is we're engaging the fans. We're listening, and we're doing something."

What does "slug-free" mean? :blush: