Evaluating too much on college performance

As we all know, college statistics are not the only telling factor if a prospect is going to flourish in the NFL or not. Heck.. Tom Brady didn't even start in college. So, for those of you who think Blaine Gabbert is not a good QB because of his junior year stats. I don't think you are really looking at the other factors involved in a what makes a good NFL player. This guy can make ALL the throws. He has Drew Bledsoe size and Jeff Garcia Speed. Just based of his physical tools, he warrants at least a top 10 pick. The Missouri offense is frustrating to watch and didn't really showcase what he truely can do. They throw a lot of bubble screens and quick slants. Mizzou did not really have a deep threat and haven't really had one since Jeremy Maclin and possibly Denario Alexander in Gabberts Sophmore year. I think Gabbert can be an excellent QB.

Just my opinion

Tom Brady started for 2 years at Michigan. He threw 20 tds in one season. If anything, the combine & offseason stuff is overrated. The reason a guy like Brady fell is because he had a terrible combine (what the video of him running the 40 for laughs).

A few years ago, Robert Ayers got overrated and got drafted in the top half of the 1st. He started for one year despite being at school for 4 years. Not surprisingly, he has dOne little in the pros.

With high picks, I want a track record of success in college, especially in big games. In the later rounds, you gamble on athletes & late bloomers.

As we all know, college statistics are not the only telling factor if a prospect is going to flourish in the NFL or not. Heck.. Tom Brady didn't even start in college. So, for those of you who think Blaine Gabbert is not a good QB because of his junior year stats. I don't think you are really looking at the other factors involved in a what makes a good NFL player. This guy can make ALL the throws. He has Drew Bledsoe size and Jeff Garcia Speed. Just based of his physical tools, he warrants at least a top 10 pick. The Missouri offense is frustrating to watch and didn't really showcase what he truely can do. They throw a lot of bubble screens and quick slants. Mizzou did not really have a deep threat and haven't really had one since Jeremy Maclin and possibly Denario Alexander in Gabberts Sophmore year. I think Gabbert can be an excellent QB.

Just my opinion

While I agree with your thoughts, this is the second time I've seen this posted about Brady in the past week. Brady was not a backup; he was the starter his junior and senior years at Michigan.

Gabbert will be better than Newton

Agreed. I wish Vegas let you bet on things like this.

he threw 16tds this season. can someone who watched all of his games this year explain why he threw for so few? they passed a ton (over 3,500 years) and didnt have a dominant rb. listen people ill will believe the hype with this kid because he's tall, strong arm, accurate(65%) and intelligent. but the 16tds this year sticks out as a major red flag. please advise.

I thought this was going to be a Von Miller thread honestly. Just because it worked in college, doesn’t mean it will in the NFL.

Brady was not a backup; he was the starter his junior and senior years at Michigan.

Yes but unless I am mistaken, he was benched multiple times in both years. He wasnt a backup, but he counldt hold the starting job either. He was on a "short leash"

Yes but unless I am mistaken, he was benched multiple times in both years. He wasnt a backup, but he counldt hold the starting job either. He was on a "short leash"

He was not on a short leash he was starting over Drew Henson who everyone though would be huge Loyd Carr liked Henson and would bring him in on certain plays over Brady.

Brady also sat behind Brian Griese his his first 2 years at MI

he threw 16tds this season. can someone who watched all of his games this year explain why he threw for so few? they passed a ton (over 3,500 years) and didnt have a dominant rb. listen people ill will believe the hype with this kid because he's tall, strong arm, accurate(65%) and intelligent. but the 16tds this year sticks out as a major red flag. please advise.

Agreed...the lack of TD passes with so many passing yards is a red flag. What was Missouri doing in the red zone? Did they settle for a lot of field goals? Did Blaine rush for a bunch of TD's?

Just my opinion

I understand that you like Gabbert enough for the Bills to take him at #3. However, Gabbert's 2010 rankings from the article linked below…

QB Rating:  64th

Yards/Game:  25th

Yards/Attempt:  78th

Completion %:  32nd

TDs:  57th

INTs:  41st

Yards:  21st

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2011/3/3/2027652/2011-draft-bust-blaine-gabbert

To me, that looks like the stats of a 3rd round QB or below. The Panthers are smart enough to pick Newton over Gabbert (if QB is where they're going). Because Newton really does have eye popping physical tools/abilities and has proven it on the field in the hardest conference going. That's not to say Cam's a sure thing, but at least he has that #1 pick resume and highlight reel that Gabbert simply doesn't have. He keeps saying that he'll outwork everybody, but from the look of those rankings it seems like everybody's kicking his @ss in the "work" department. I'm done, I've given my arguments. The whole Gabbert being a top ten pick thing is crazy to me.

No way do the Bills pick Gabbert. Newton's a different story, I could see them taking him.

They had NO receivers dude.. Mizzou ran the ball all year. Other than Michael Egnew he really didn't have an elite level pass catcher.. and Egnew is a tight end...

Edited by Mr. Negative

They had NO receivers dude.. Mizzou ran the ball all year. Other than Michael Egnew he really didn't have an elite level pass catcher.. and Egnew is a tight end...

Ok, but I want a QB that can excel without top tier WRs. If he cant dominate college without top tier WRs he probably wont in the NFL either. Pass.

Ok, but I want a QB that can excel without top tier WRs. If he cant dominate college without top tier WRs he probably wont in the NFL either. Pass.

Gabbert literally had nobody good to pass the ball to. There's only so much you can do with what you're given.

Tom Brady started for 2 years at Michigan. He threw 20 tds in one season. If anything, the combine & offseason stuff is overrated. The reason a guy like Brady fell is because he had a terrible combine (what the video of him running the 40 for laughs).

A few years ago, Robert Ayers got overrated and got drafted in the top half of the 1st. He started for one year despite being at school for 4 years. Not surprisingly, he has dOne little in the pros.

With high picks, I want a track record of success in college, especially in big games. In the later rounds, you gamble on athletes & late bloomers.

It's a mixture of both (and an inexact one at that). You have to consider college production, level of competition, scheme played in,

number of years of production athletic ability, has he "maxed-out" or does he have upside, injury history, learning ability/versatility

and a host of other things. This is exactly why there are high-round busts and late-round surprises every single year. Even NFL

scouting offices who spend $millions can't turn this into a black-and-white, easy to evaluate proposition.