For the "Ralph Is Cheap" Crowd

Nanker

Linky

ESPN Tim Graham reported the following:

Of the 226 players under contract in the AFC East, only 62 of them (27.4 percent) will make base salaries of $1 million or more.

NY J-E-S-T-S

Players with base salaries of $1 million or more:

Players under contract:

Percentage of roster making $1 million or more:
24.6%

NewEn Gland Pats*

Players under contract:

23.3%

Miami Dolphags

Players under contract:

27.3%

Buffalo Bills

Players under contract:

%

Of course, this is fuel for the fires of the "Ralph is a senile old bat and doesn't have a clue what's going on, and Buffalo has to overpay for its talent because it's such a lousy place to live... re, re, re..." gang of self-loathing Bills fans.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

ESPN Tim Graham reported the following:

Of the 226 players under contract in the AFC East, only 62 of them (27.4 percent) will make base salaries of $1 million or more.

NY J-E-S-T-S

Players under contract:

24.6%

NewEn Gland Pats*

Players under contract:

23.3%

Miami Dolphags

Players under contract:

27.3%

Buffalo Bills

Players under contract:

%

Of course, this is fuel for the fires of the "Ralph is a senile old bat and doesn't have a clue what's going on, and Buffalo has to overpay for its talent because it's such a lousy place to live... re, re, re..." gang of self-loathing Bills fans.

Ralph is not cheap. The Bills spend money, they just overpay for mediocre players because both and Ralph and his front office are inept.

Ralph is not cheap. The Bills spend money, they just overpay for mediocre players because both and Ralph and his front office are inept.

Ah! The Third Estate. Of course, I omitted them from the original post.

Thank you.

Hurrah, but base salaries are only a part of compensation packages.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the notion that players demand more to play in Buffalo because of the higher state and county taxes. There's a real reason WNY's population has plummeted in the past 20 years. Footballers are not immune. Now, I'm not going to say it makes it or breaks it for guys who want to sign so they have a shot at starting, but it all enters into the picture of why they're making/must be offered more.

Not mention that two of these on the Bills are Maybi-not and Chris Kelsay. Calling them "players" is a stretch.

Hurrah, but base salaries are only a part of compensation packages.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the notion that players demand more to play in Buffalo because of the higher state and county taxes. There's a real reason WNY's population has plummeted in the past 20 years. Footballers are not immune. Now, I'm not going to say it makes it or breaks it for guys who want to sign so they have a shot at starting, but it all enters into the picture of why they're making/must be offered more.

Not mention that two of these on the Bills are Maybi-not and Chris Kelsay. Calling them "players" is a stretch.

:thumbsup:

Who is the Buffalo Bills highest paid player, Lee Evans...will he even be a Buffalo Bill next season?

Anyway, looking at Maybin and Kelsay...does anyone have any realistic trust that this band of old guys will select a player that will actually earn 3rd spot $$, and contribute next season.

How much money has Maybin been paid since he joined the Bills, his primary role is to sack the QB at DE/OLB....how many sacks does he currently have? First round pick John McCargo, how'd that pick work out....

CJ Spiller was supposed to make the O line block better, remember that line? he was supposed to be an exciting to RB....a guy that can't block, the #9 pick in the first round that can't outplay older free agent walk-on in Fred Jackson in any area. He had just 26 carries for 122 yards(4.69 YPC avg) makes you think the guy wasn't smart enough to learn the offense or blocking schemes, which made him a liability in all phases of the offense. 5 year 25M contract with 20.8 guaranteed

So many of the players drafted by this franchise in the first round the last decade, I'd be hesitant to even call some of them good enough to be considered mediocre

Edited by Harvey lives

I am being real here when i say that Marv Levy's tenure as GM crippled the franchise and set the franchise back a few years longer than necessary.

If you're using this as proof he's willing to spend $, I think this falls under the "lies, damn lies, and statistics" category. Considering that the AVERAGE compensation for a player now is almost $2m, the number of $1m players you have under contract is pretty irrelevant IMO.

You can debate the issue of how much this organization spends if you want to. That isn't very telling. An organization's spread sheet doesn't tell how well or poorly a franchise is being run. The measuring stick is the team's record. The history of the Bills is mostly about losing. It's historical record is 358-406-8. In a system designed for parity the Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999. Last year our rankings on defense and offense were near the bottom. It's gotten so depressingly bad that now some hometown zealots are referring to our almost wins as successes. How much more lame can you get?

The issue is not about money; it is about how you spend money. Is there a serious person other than your standard team flacks willing to say that this clown franchise is smartly managed? Is there anyone willing to say that our front office has drafted well over the past decade or so? Is there anyone willing to say that the owner has assembled a premier front office over the past decade or so?

The people who should be the most upset are those who claim that the baron owner spends money at a competitive rate. If that truly is the case then how much value has he gotten out of his unfocused expenditures?

Whether Ralph is cheap or not, who cares? The real issue is whether he is a competent owner. Anyone who doesn't know what the answer is should go back and look at the historical record.

I am being real here when i say that Marv Levy's tenure as GM crippled the franchise and set the franchise back a few years longer than necessary.

Sadly, I have to agree. While his record was not the worst among Bills coaches Dick Jauron may very well hold the title of worst coach in Bills history. Jauron was hand picked by Marv. Jauron could have coached for a decade and never extracted himself from the land of mediocre. The draft choices under Levy and jauron have turned out to be as dubious as any.

Levy was a great coach but he was no Bill Pollian.

Sadly, I have to agree. While his record was not the worst among Bills coaches Dick Jauron may very well hold the title of worst coach in Bills history. Jauron was hand picked by Marv. Jauron could have coached for a decade and never extracted himself from the land of mediocre. The draft choices under Levy and jauron have turned out to be as dubious as any.

Jauron was a better coach than Gregg Williams, who was picked by once-well-respected GM Tom Donahoe.

Jauron was a better coach than Gregg Williams, who was picked by once-well-respected GM Tom Donahoe.

What an uplifting argument? Who was the worst of the worst in a generation of mediocrity? The dumbing down of an organization in competition with the Bilichick's of the world. Thank you Ralph for this bumbling organization you very oddly constructed. Am I supposed to laugh????

Well the offensive did get better at the towards end of the season, especially after Wood stepped in at center.

Must have something to do with the threat of Spiller!

Well we will be better this year becuase we started out horrible and improved week by week.

I do not think Ralph is cheap but he is certainly no Snyder from Washington, who spends way lotsa money but sucks as bad as we have at times.

We will be better next year. C'mon .500%! go Bills

What an uplifting argument? Who was the worst of the worst in a generation of mediocrity? The dumbing down of an organization in competition with the Bilichick's of the world. Thank you Ralph for this bumbling organization you very oddly constructed. Am I supposed to laugh????

We've been over this a million times, John. For the first half of this past decade, they had a GM who was widely respected for having resurrected the Steelers, they traded for a QB, and spent money on players. But the team didn't make the playoffs and it's Ralph's fault? :rolleyes:

I already acknowledged that hiring Levy was a mistake, but his hire was understandable considering what happened with TD. Yet the record under his choice of coach was no worse than the best coach under the respected GM.

It's no secret that most of the Bills' problems have stemmed from not being able to get a bonafide starting QB, in a league that has become QB-dependant. But that wasn't for a lack of trying, seeing as how they traded for Bledsoe in 2002, drafted JP in 2004, and Edwards in 2007. If only it were as easy as say, drafting a QB in the 6th and illegally videotaping. <_<

I have no idea whether Ralph is cheap, but I would note the following: (i) the other teams in our division may be paying out significantly more in bonus money (which can reduce base compensation) and (ii) there was a salary floor cap, and I believe paying money in base compensation helps with meeting that minimum threshold.