Extremely off topic.....looking for advice

A little background....

In addition to my 12 year old son I also have a 10 year old daughter.....she is my princess no doubt, her grades could be better but she is trying hard, basically a good kid.

She also sings like a bird....loves music....she does a lot of different events, has sang the national anthem for a couple of minor league teams, mayors office events, and sings for her grandfathers church (he is a pastor)

HOWEVER.....one place that she does not sing is for her schools chorus....why....because they have a music teacher...female...been their forever....who basically intimidates the hell out of her. It has been that way for the last couple of years. The teacher is really not that good....and the one talent show that Ashlee tried to enter this teacher told her she couldn't sing her song because "its too difficult for a 9 year old girl" (she had just got done singing it for the a mayors function and did it perfectly. She never tried to enter a school talent show again

WELL....this year my daughter decides she wants to suck it up and attempt to take violin lessons from her. She tried for a while....but this teacher and her just do not mesh.

So....my wife calls the school and lets the teacher know that Ashlee isn't going to come back for the violin sessions....at which time the teacher starts making smart remarks about how my daughter has no discipline and that is why she cant learn it....and that she wants her violin back right away. My wife says she will get it back as soon as she can bring it down.

Report cards come out very shortly thereafter....in big red letters on my daughters report card are "BRING BACK VIOLIN"

So....about week ago me and my wife take the violin down to the school. We wanted to turn it in and we also wanted to have a talk with this teacher....who we have basically had enough of.

So....This MORNING my daughter lets us know that this teacher was browbeating her because SHE didn't turn the violin in.

OK....WTF.....is this a cranky old hag trying to get the last word in or what?

I am not sure what to do here but I dont think the right thing is to let it go....I consider this a form of harassment as my daughter has no dealings with this teacher at all and she went out of her way to make those comments.

Send your wife in to kick the crap out of her.  Nothing better than a cat fight.

159767[/snapback]

I was going to suggest claymores because that suggestion really helped shut up the neighbor's dog. Surely it should shut up Little Miss Gimme My Violin Back Bitchwhoreslut.

Not that I'm taking sides or anything.

Honestly? I would let it go. Your daughter doesn't need a big "throw down" between a teacher and her parents.

Write a letter/call school administration to voice your concerns, but don't let it get blown out of proportion. Show your daughter that the right way to deal with people like this is with a cool head.

Violin lessons.... go private. She'll learn more that way anyways.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff

Honestly? I would let it go.  Your daughter doesn't need a big "throw down" between a teacher and her parents.

Write a letter/call school administration to voice your concerns, but don't let it get blown out of proportion.  Show your daughter that the right way to deal with people like this is with a cool head.

Violin lessons.... go private. She'll learn more that way anyways.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff

159773[/snapback]

I agree, a letter to the proper parties would show the kind of discipline and self restraint that the your daughter's teacher doesn't seem to have.

If that doesn't work..... Claymores :lol:

Why don't you give the violin back?  Seems like that might shut her up.  Of course I could be wrong here, but if it is her's or the school violin, why do you still have it?

159775[/snapback]

So....about week ago me and my wife take the violin down to the school. We wanted to turn it in and we also wanted to have a talk with this teacher....who we have basically had enough of.

The teacher seems to be harrasing Ashlee for not turning it in HERSELF

A little background....

In addition to my 12 year old son I also have a 10 year old daughter.....she is my princess no doubt, her grades could be better but she is trying hard, basically a good kid.

She also sings like a bird....loves music....she does a lot of different events, has sang the national anthem for a couple of minor league teams, mayors office events, and sings for her grandfathers church (he is a pastor)

HOWEVER.....one place that she does not sing is for her schools chorus....why....because they have a music teacher...female...been their forever....who basically intimidates the hell out of her.  It has been that way for the last couple of years.  The teacher is really not that good....and the one talent show that Ashlee tried to enter this teacher told her she couldn't sing her song because "its too difficult for a 9 year old girl" (she had just got done singing it for the a mayors function and did it perfectly.  She never tried to enter a school talent show again

WELL....this year my daughter decides she wants to suck it up and attempt to take violin lessons from her.  She tried for a while....but this teacher and her just do not mesh.

So....my wife calls the school and lets the teacher know that Ashlee isn't going to come back for the violin sessions....at which time the teacher starts making smart remarks about how my daughter has no discipline and that is why she cant learn it....and that she wants her violin back right away.  My wife says she will get it back as soon as she can bring it down.

Report cards come out very shortly thereafter....in big red letters on my daughters report card are "BRING BACK VIOLIN"

So....about week ago me and my wife take the violin down to the school.  We wanted to turn it in and we also wanted to have a talk with this teacher....who we have basically had enough of.

So....This MORNING my daughter lets us know that this teacher was browbeating her because SHE didn't turn the violin in.

I am not sure what to do here but I dont think the right thing is to let it go....I consider this a form of harassment as my daughter has no dealings with this teacher at all and she went out of her way to make those comments.

159762[/snapback]

Seriously...first, document everything. Second, take it to the principal.

Or third, take it to the principal...second might be talking to other parents you know to see if they and/or their kids are having problems with this teacher, too. I highly doubt your daughter's the only one. I wouldn't plan on bringing other incidents up with the principal, of course...but it would be nice to know if this is a case of a truly bad teacher, or an isolated incident of a bad personality clash between a teacher and one student.

There's also the question of coaching your daughter on how to handle the situation as an adult...but you're far better qualified for that job than I am to give you any advice on it. :lol:

Why don't you give the violin back?  Seems like that might shut her up.  Of course I could be wrong here, but if it is her's or the school violin, why do you still have it?

159775[/snapback]

Actually....we returned it.....My wife and I. The teacher then started browbeating my daughter about HER not returning it.

I mean....it kind of ooses of some sort of dominance thing....doesn't it?

For some reason music teachers are often big jerks.

They are frustrated that all the training and practice they went through for years wasn't enough to land them a seat in the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. Now they have to teach the great unwashed.

How denigrating.

Your kid and probably alot of other kids are paying for her lack of success.

Turn in the violin and understand that you can never win this kind of battle. Good luck to your daughter, maybe her payback will be achieving a level of success that Ms Sourpuss never could.

Send your wife in to kick the crap out of her.  Nothing better than a cat fight.

159767[/snapback]

Actually.....that is part of the problem....

I cannot send my wife up to the school on her own to handle this....because there is no in between with her. I am constantly telling my wife that as she ages she needs to be able to handle the "verbal disagreements" better with others.....

My wife would probably throw her threw a window....an ex pro wrestler...and that is not an exaggeration. And since I love my wife and dont want to see her go to jail...I am looking for alternatives.

I cannot send my wife up to the school on her own to handle this....because there is no in between with her.  I am constantly telling my wife that as she ages she needs to be able to handle the "verbal disagreements" better with others.....

My wife would probably throw her threw a window....an ex pro wrestler...and that is not an exaggeration.  And since I love my wife and dont want to see her go to jail...I am looking for alternatives.

159799[/snapback]

Your Wife used to be a Pro Wrestler!!!!???!!

Seriously...first, document everything.  Second, take it to the principal. 

Or third, take it to the principal...second might be talking to other parents you know to see if they and/or their kids are having problems with this teacher, too.  I highly doubt your daughter's the only one.  I wouldn't plan on bringing other incidents up with the principal, of course...but it would be nice to know if this is a case of a truly bad teacher, or an isolated incident of a bad personality clash between a teacher and one student. 

There's also the question of coaching your daughter on how to handle the situation as an adult...but you're far better qualified for that job than I am to give you any advice on it.  :lol:

159784[/snapback]

DC....this creates even another problem.

I know this principal for how he handled a situation with my son when he was going to that school.....

My son was constantly being hurassed by a class bully but never did anything about it.....he was in the good graces of the school, straight A's, bla bla bla and didn't want to get into trouble. Finally one day he had enough and said something back to the kid (his last year before moving on to middle school) This earned getting jumped from behind by the bully....but apparently Brett manhandled him after the bully got in the first shot to the back of the head.....and then beat him worse when he tried to hit Brett with a metal rod from his broken backpack. The end result. A 3 day suspension for defending himself and a mark for an assault on his record because he WON.

That is what I am dealing with from the Principal

I know this principal for how he handled a situation with my son when he was going to that school.....

My son was constantly being hurassed by a class bully but never did anything about it.....he was in the good graces of the school, straight A's, bla bla bla and didn't want to get into trouble.  Finally one day he had enough and said something back to the kid (his last year before moving on to middle school)  This earned getting jumped from behind by the bully....but apparently Brett manhandled him after the bully got in the first shot to the back of the head.....and then beat him worse when he tried to hit Brett with a metal rod from his broken backpack.  The end result.  A 3 day suspension for defending himself and a mark for an assault on his record because he WON.

159810[/snapback]

Clearly you need to send your son after the music teacher. Have your wife join him. A full-out caged tag team match between them and the music teacher and principal.

Seriously, John...I'd ask the teacher why she was bringing up the violin to your daughter when the situation was clearly resolved already.

I cannot send my wife up to the school on her own to handle this....because there is no in between with her.  I am constantly telling my wife that as she ages she needs to be able to handle the "verbal disagreements" better with others.....

My wife would probably throw her threw a window....an ex pro wrestler...and that is not an exaggeration.  And since I love my wife and dont want to see her go to jail...I am looking for alternatives.

159799[/snapback]

That is bad ass.

I was actually thinking of my friend who has a two year old and a four year old. She has started fights with other parents at the park and at the zoo and I have a fear that she's just getting started.

My son was constantly being hurassed by a class bully but never did anything about it.....he was in the good graces of the school, straight A's, bla bla bla and didn't want to get into trouble.  Finally one day he had enough and said something back to the kid (his last year before moving on to middle school)  This earned getting jumped from behind by the bully....but apparently Brett manhandled him after the bully got in the first shot to the back of the head.....and then beat him worse when he tried to hit Brett with a metal rod from his broken backpack.  The end result.  A 3 day suspension for defending himself and a mark for an assault on his record because he WON.

159810[/snapback]

In that case - and keeping in mind that I have no kids, and my advice on this is worth only slightly more than a bucket of warm sh-- - I'd say talk to other parents, see if there's a pattern, and if so get the PTA involved. If not...then it sounds like you're screwed, since the principal would probably back the teacher against your "troublemaker" kids.

Of course, there's always the idea of getting a lawyer and seeing if you can't slap a misdemeanor harrassment charge and a civil suit on her, too...not recommending that course of action myself, nor do I think you'd induldge it...but there it is.

And what happened to your son...he plays football, he should know that the guy who retaliates always gets the penalty. Not right...but that's the way it works. I'll bet he's not bullied anymore, either...

That is bad ass. 

I was actually thinking of my friend who has a two year old and a four year old.  She has started fights with other parents at the park and at the zoo and I have  a fear that she's just getting started.

159816[/snapback]

Ordinarily....she is actually a very sweet and wonderful woman....and she doesn't look for trouble and is well liked.....

But....this person is taking one of those tudes....know what I mean?

Ordinarily....she is actually a very sweet and wonderful woman....and she doesn't look for trouble and is well liked.....

But....this person is taking one of those tudes....know what I mean?

159822[/snapback]

My friend is a stud on the violin. Let me know if you need a recommendation.

Actually.....that is GLORY wrestling....I think that the GLOW wrestling association is now defunct.

But yes....my did look that good....and she is still a lovely woman

159835[/snapback]

The girl in the link used to be a Glow wrestler. I'm going to stop posting on the topic of your wife now before I say something that may get me body slammed. :lol:

Apparently there appears to be some sort of animosity between the school and your family. I would go to the next school board meeting, and voice your concerns. I would not give any warning to the Music Teacher or the Principal of your intent to go to the Board. The best way to get these people to take notice of your concerns is to take them by surprise.

Guest Guest_Flow_*

I work as an assistant principal at a school in NY. - You need to write a letter to the commisioner of education, with copies to the district superintendent, the building principal, and the school board. Ask for an apology from the teacher, and indicate that failure to comply will result in a formal complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.

These lazy, POS teachers should not be permitted to treat students this way.

159775[/snapback]

Having children of my own and my wife being an educator professionally, I have definitely learned one thing. If you are basing your whole story on your daughter's version of events you only have half the story. Your own kids are not as innocent as you may think 9 times out of 10.

That's a tough situation - especially since she is in a position where your daughter will potentially have to deal with her for a while - not just graduate to the next level and be done with her. You may want to consider that when deciding how to approach the situation. I would probably not recommend throwing her out the window :angry:

My daughter has a teacher now (1st grade) who I honestly believe is well meaning and does a good job teaching the curriculum, but can really be kind of harsh in her attitude. My favorite story is this - the kids were given an assignment to write three 'needs' (think they had been going over food, shelter, clothing etc.). So my daughter writes food and clothing and then for the last puts 'family' and draws this beautiful picture of our family all smiling and happy. Well, the assignment comes home, and the teacher had put a big red X through the picture and scrawled "You do not need a family" in red ink. We knew that it technically was not one of the needs they had discussed - but the way the teacher did it, and the fact she gave no lattitude for an answer many would consider to be more thoughtful and mature than rotely regurgitating what had been taught REALLY pissed my wife off. She wrote to the teacher basically just trying to understand her thought process - and more concerned with any messages that my daughter would be getting (needless to say we praised my daughter) and the teacher wrote back basically nothing more than it was just one assignment and shouldn't affect my daughter's overall grade (!). My wife told the story to her aunt who taught 1st grade for like 30 yrs and then she got really pissed off about it. A week later she sends us an ad that was in the back of her National Geographic with instructions to give it to my daughter's teacher. It had a picture of a child with the caption "Every child needs a family" :lol:

As a corollary to the story - last week we had a 'student-led' conference with the teacher - and my daughter was asked to read one of her recent writing assignments from her journal. She picks a recent one about what she will be doing for the holidays and it is a nice story about how she is looking forward to visiting her grandparents in Buffalo and seeing her aunts, uncles, and cousins - and she ended it with (no lie) "I love my family, without my family I could not live" - I shot my wife a glance and watched her whole body tense up and had to try not to burst out laughing. I don't know if my daughter just put that in there as a shot to the teacher - but I thought it was pretty good anyway.

Oh I feel for you. I had a similar problem with my youngest in the 3rd grade. The teacher managed to take all his self esteem away with consistent ridiculing in the class room because he was a slow reader. It took me a couple of years after that to get his confidence back. I found out years later that she was eventually fired and that she literally hated "male" students.

I don't know how to advise you - except to suggest you examine your side of the story and if you truly believe that you are right, don't give up the battle. With all due respect to so many wonderful, dedicated teachers out there, that one bad one can have a devistating effect on a child. Keep in mind that you also have a "creative" kid - they tend to be super sensitive.

Guest Guest_Southern Man_*

For some reason music teachers are often big jerks.

They are frustrated that all the training and practice they went through for years wasn't enough to land them a seat in the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. Now they have to teach the great unwashed.

How denigrating.

Your kid and probably alot of other kids are paying for her lack of success.

I'm convinced that a large portion of public teachers are psychopathic and enjoy their "power" over helpless subordinates and unlike the "real world" of business, never have to worry about performance metrics after becoming tenured.

I believe a lot of cops have the same bully mentality, putting them in a position where they can unfairly exert their power without fear of recourse.

My niece and nephew have had a wacko elementary school music teacher who thinks recitals and concerts are all about her. She dresses to the nines, makes sure the spot light shines on her as she sings and dances (while the chorus is in virtual darkness). Again, a frustrated egomaniac who couldn't or wouldn't compete in the real world or performing arts. She's also one of those bores who act like they're the only one to have a child and rambles on incessantly about her young kid (during school concerts!) Sadly, a lot of kids have dropped out of the music programs or never sign up because of her reputation.

As nutty as some these teachers are, I do believe there are many who are truly excited about teaching and do NOT fall into the category of bully.

Then there are some apathetic teachers who simply found it an easy paycheck. 10+ weeks a year off, great medical, unlimited sick time, good pension, better job security than most anyone*. The educational standards are getting much tougher in NY State and I think you'll see a much better brand of teachers as the old nut cases fall to the wayside.

* (In Atlanta, anyway) Does anyone have better security in their jobs than these roadside leaf blower guys?!?! Nobody ever picks the leaves up. Everyday, out to the road, blow the leaves - next day, same leaves, blow 'em around some more.

BTW - to any fellow Buffalo refugees in Atlanta, just found a place here that serves Buffalo fish frys, Beef on Weck, and real Buffalo pizza.

Having children of my own and my wife being an educator professionally, I have definitely learned one thing. If you are basing your whole story on your daughter's version of events you only have half the story. Your own kids are not as innocent as you may think 9 times out of 10.

159874[/snapback]

No doubt. But the teachers are rarely blameless, either.

159874[/snapback]

Me and my wife already discussed that possibility....HOWEVER....we also have to look at it logically on both sides.

- This lady did get into it with my wife on the phone.....that is adult to adult...and came across in a way that backs my daughters impressions of her

- 2nd...and this is the biggee....this situation should have been CONCLUDED....the violin was turned in...my daughter has no dealings with her whatsoever. I dont think that my daughter would go so far as to lie about a conversation that never took place.

A little background....

HOWEVER.....one place that she does not sing is for her schools chorus....why....because they have a music teacher...female...been their forever....who basically intimidates the hell out of her.  It has been that way for the last couple of years.  The teacher is really not that good....and the one talent show that Ashlee tried to enter this teacher told her she couldn't sing her song because "its too difficult for a 9 year old girl" (she had just got done singing it for the a mayors function and did it perfectly.  She never tried to enter a school talent show again

WELL....this year my daughter decides she wants to suck it up and attempt to take violin lessons from her.  She tried for a while....but this teacher and her just do not mesh.

So....my wife calls the school and lets the teacher know that Ashlee isn't going to come back for the violin sessions....at which time the teacher starts making smart remarks about how my daughter has no discipline and that is why she cant learn it....and that she wants her violin back right away.  My wife says she will get it back as soon as she can bring it down.

So....about week ago me and my wife take the violin down to the school.  We wanted to turn it in and we also wanted to have a talk with this teacher....who we have basically had enough of.

159762[/snapback]

Hard to say. We got snookered on your swimming pool tale of woe.