Extremely off topic.....looking for advice

Been there done that and they had to give me the tshirt and hat when I was done.

It depends on how upset you think your daughter is over this. If this is bothering her to the extent that she is not taking full advantage of school activities and learning, then b*lls to the wall let's go after it.

If you can talk your daughter through it, then let it go. No matter how your wife and you feel, the only important thing is how your kids feel. You can live with it, they may not know how to just yet.

Now if you pursue it.

Document everything.

First meeting is with the teacher and the principal. This meeting will most likely be pretty much useless but you will hear some very eloquent ideals.

Second meeting is requested with the teacher, the principal and the superintendent. This should get some results. Actually you probably won't have to have this meeting as they now know you mean business. Be perfectly calm at all times, but never waiver from what you are asking for. If you start to holler and yell, they blame the whole thing on you and you have lost.

As to the retaliation thing...

My boys are big for their age, 10 & 7, at built strongly. Bullying is a concern, both by them and of them. IF they wanted to, they have enough martial arts instruction to do some damage. I tell them every chance I get "you never hit first, but you hit hard enough afterwards to never have to hit again". "And whatever trouble you get in will be Dad's responsibility not yours". Secondly, if I find out that they hit first, whatever trouble they get in at school will be the least of their problems when they get home to me.

So far they are becoming very good "gentle giants".

My friend is a stud on the violin.  Let me know if you need a recommendation.

159830[/snapback]

Thanks for the offer.....but I dont know if my daughter will ever pick one up again....I guess that is how bad it is.

We are going to get her piano lessons as a birthday present.....she's always been interested in that too.......

don't do anything. You kid needs to learn that she's be dealing with people like this all her life. Some adversity is good for kids.

159979[/snapback]

Hardy,

If this were my son I probably would do exactly that...because he is older.

But we are talking about a 10 year old here....and I cannot help but think this is exactly what this teacher is banking on....that she can do and say whatever she wants because we wont take the time to address it.

If I am sending a "learning message to my daughter" I would hope that message would be dont let people walk all over you.

That is my first thought...I could be wrong

I respect that, with no kids of my own, I'm not in the position to comment much further.

But I think that not enough kids, adults, etc...get the message that no one ever said life is gonna be easy. And as a boss I see so many employees who just can't deal with adversity.

Growing up, my parents were always there for me, but I was generally taught to solve my own problems and that you won't always get your own way. My parents philosophy was that the teachers weren't being hard enough on me, and that they should have been harder. The teachers I thank to this day are the toughest ones, most notably my grade 4 teacher who kept me in detention every day until I learned math. I despised her at the time. Truly, the turning point in my life, I went from one of the dumb kids to the smart kids because she rode my ass every day and made me learn stuff I didn't think I could learn. The rest is history.

I think it served me well.

did you ever think maybe your daughter is the problem and not the teacher she does seems to be the apple of your eye and im sure she knows how to manipulate her parents.........believe it or not sometime 10 year olds make stuff up to make themselves look better or get thier way.....

did you ever think maybe your daughter is the problem and not the teacher she does seems to be the apple of your eye and im sure she knows how to manipulate her parents.........believe it or not sometime 10 year olds make stuff up to make themselves look better or get thier way.....

160097[/snapback]

The whole report card datum would seem to indicate the teacher is at the very least contributing...

160097[/snapback]

Mrs Crenshaw....how in the hell did you find this board! I am getting advice on how to deal with your @ss best so go away please.........

Just kidding.....I try to remain objective....but from the evidence I have gotten so far things are not adding up. I do want to hear both sides if the teacher can remain civil long enough to keep my wife from piledriving her.

The whole report card datum would seem to indicate the teacher is at the very least contributing...

160114[/snapback]

I need a little more information. When the report card came out, was the the instrument returned yet? If it was (returned), I can't for the life of me figure out why the teacher would write that on the report card?

John, was it returned when the grades came out?

I respect that, with no kids of my own, I'm not in the position to comment much further.

But I think that not enough kids, adults, etc...get the message that no one ever said life is gonna be easy. And as a boss I see so many employees who just can't deal with adversity.

Growing up, my parents were always there for me, but I was generally taught to solve my own problems and that you won't always get your own way. My parents philosophy was that the teachers weren't being hard enough on me, and that they should have been harder. The teachers I thank to this day are the toughest ones, most notably my grade 4 teacher who kept me in detention every day until I learned math. I despised her at the time. Truly, the turning point in my life, I went from one of the dumb kids to the smart kids because she rode my ass every day and made me learn stuff I didn't think I could learn. The rest is history.

I think it served me well.

160064[/snapback]

In addition to that....I have seen the benefits of allowing kids to persavere from adversity...my son is a excellent example. (this is a little off topic from my daughter Hardy)

My son is a youth football player...and a damn good one....but things were just not the same after he got hurt the year before last.....this past year he moved up into new set of coaches who couldn't give a rats ass that he was a smart, sure tackling, play making defender and there ended up being a situation (too long to get into here) where my kid rode the pine the majority of last season while his team had a losing season and missed the playoffs.....basically for some reason these coaches thought he was too slow.

I kept my mouth shut to the coaches and told him to work harder....he asked for a little bit of help in the beginning getting him with a speed coach and it kind of went from there....

The bottom line on that story is now he is the "little brother" in a group that consists of a Div II wide receiver/running back/corner (his speed coach), a linebacker from one of the nearby colleges, and 2 high school players that all work out together.......I stay out of the situation and watch it from afar....and let me tell you.....speed is no longer an issue for my kid and he is getting faster it seems weekly.

He is going to turn some heads this next season........and he did it all by himself by taking the adversity he was in and using as fuel for his fire.

I need a little more information.  When the report card came out, was the the instrument returned yet?  If it was (returned), I can't for the life of me figure out why the teacher would write that on the report card?

John, was it returned when the grades came out?

160191[/snapback]

It was returned the day after we received the report card....but the amount of time between my wifes discussion and the report coming out was a matter of days I think......