VERY Smart Move By Vick

A. I have already posted here that nobody gets to be personally offended by Vick, unless they want to walk around with a "I am an Oprah sycophant" on the front, and "DMZ owns this" with an arrow pointing down on the back, t-shirt as well. Say it with me now, in the immortal words of Rahm Emanuel: This "I am victim of somebody I don't know, who doesn't know me, and has done nothing to me personally!", and "I get to pretend to sit in judgment of other people, because I know who they are from TV" is "F'ing Retarded!" Anybody who thinks they get to be offended by this because they live anywhere but in his town in Georgia, and has a dog, and of course, kids :rolleyes:, needs to spend more time with the dog and the kids, and less time with this phony and narcissistic assclownery.

B. Due to A, nobody cares about your personal assessment as to whether Vick is saying/living properly. I am sorry, it must be horrifying for you :o, but it's true, nobody gives a flying f whether you think it's Ok to say "mistake" or whatever else. This one is easily proven: IF he isn't acting according to your judgment, what are the exact consequences you plan to visit on him? Tell us all about your "wrath"! What effect will you personally have on this situation? Hints:

if you suddenly realized that the answer is: none....then good, we are making progress.

if you suddenly realized that the answer is none, and that you are way too easily manipulated by Oprah, Joe Buck, and other media philistines, we are really doing well.

if you suddenly realized that the answer is none, and have sworn off all of this DMZ douchebaggery for life, then you are cured. Welcome to the "non-pissant club". You'll find that members of our club tend to be people whose opinion does have an actual effect on others, especially the longer you are a member.

So faced with a choice of $16 million guaranteed or nothing, Vick is "very smart" to take the money.

That's pretty funny.

So, if he had taken $1 mil, would that make him dumb? I suppose it would. But how are we to really know?

There has to be some sort of formula that ends up setting it at $16 mil, rather than $8 mil for example. I understand negotiations are at work here. However, they could have been negotiating on a range from $4-8 mil. Instead, there were probably negotiating on a range from $12-20. There has to be a reason why that is, and his play on the field had to have something to do with it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

And just like you, he calls it a mistake. A mistake is dropping a ball or misspelling a word. Beating a dog to death with your hands, electrocuting dogs, drowning them, stealing neighborhood pets to train other dogs to kill, rape stands, dog graveyard all on your property...not mistakes.

He did jail time and paid hefty fines for his crimes. What more do you want? As a person has he changed? I can't say for sure. Neither can you and the other moralists know whether he is a changed person.

This is bad news for the rest of the league. This is, in fact, terrible news for the rest of the league. This has nothing to do with his on the field playing and everything to do with off the field. This sets the status quo for other QB's not that he is making $17mil for a season. Carson Palmer is just as good as Vick on a ratings scale because of his clean record and his abilities and will likely demand a 2 or 3 year contract now for just a little bit more then he would have prior.

There has to be some sort of formula that ends up setting it at $16 mil, rather than $8 mil for example. I understand negotiations are at work here. However, they could have been negotiating on a range from $4-8 mil. Instead, there were probably negotiating on a range from $12-20. There has to be a reason why that is, and his play on the field had to have something to do with it.

Just FYI, the $16 million, one-year contract is a result of Michael Vick having the franchise tag placed on him. He accepted the designation and signed his tender offer.

The franchise tag is arrived at by deriving the mean average of the 5 highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL.

As such, it won't have any effect on future QB salaries (because it was determined by an already existing salary structure), nor was the contract arrived at through any negotiations.

Vick continues to have multiple missteps…an intended Super Bowl Party which he ultimately cancelled, an appearance on Oprah which he ultimately cancelled, and a no show at a charity event in which it was publicized that he would appear. All of this since the Super Bowl.

I am not sold on Vick's transformation.

At best, it's as his former Head Coach Jim Mora put it, that Vick "is trying to change."

Just FYI, the $16 million, one-year contract is a result of Michael Vick having the franchise tag placed on him. He accepted the designation and signed his tender offer.

The franchise tag is arrived at by deriving the mean average of the 5 highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL.

As such, it won't have any effect on future QB salaries (because it was determined by an already existing salary structure), nor was the contract arrived at through any negotiations.

Vick continues to have multiple missteps…an intended Super Bowl Party which he ultimately cancelled, an appearance on Oprah which he ultimately cancelled, and a no show at a charity event in which it was publicized that he would appear. All of this since the Super Bowl.

At best, it's as his former Head Coach Jim Mora put it, that Vick "is trying to change."

Thanks for the useful info on the salary. So I guess it boils down to: Vick was neither stupid or smart. He took was was proscribed by the existing CBA, with very little to think about at all.

However, nobody cares if you are sold on Vick. Seriously. The fact that you even know about canceled appearances on Oprah is a red flag for what I am talking about.

I agree.

The OP was taken out of context by some (my fault). In the past, many players were furious when they were tagged. They wanted bigger bonuses.

Vick's agent was smart to grab a pen and sign the offer sheet. He gets a huge, guaranteed salary and a chance to do it all again in 2012, instead of holding out as others have.

This is all I was trying to say.

Thanks for the useful info on the salary. So I guess it boils down to: Vick was neither stupid or smart. He took was was proscribed by the existing CBA, with very little to think about at all.

However, nobody cares if you are sold on Vick. Seriously. The fact that you even know about canceled appearances on Oprah is a red flag for what I am talking about.

I read news articles and lots of sports articles. In that process I see headlines.

When I'm scanning a home page, I don't close my eyes and pretend I don't see certain headlines. I don't tweet and I don't chase celebrity news. I don't watch celebrity news shows nor do I read People Magazine.I could probably name far fewer celebrities than the average person.

In other words, I find your bolded comment above to be offensive and insulting to me. Your Oprah comment…you actually have the nerve to imply that I'm what? I've never even watched her show.

Quite interested in your reply...

When I'm scanning a home page, I don't close my eyes and pretend I don't see certain headlines. I don't tweet and I don't chase celebrity news. I don't watch celebrity news shows nor do I read People Magazine.I could probably name far fewer celebrities than the average person.

Does that mean that you won't be a useful source of information for the Charlie Sheen meltdown? I guess I have to go to the TMZ web page to get the inside scoop. :devil:

I read news articles and lots of sports articles. In that process I see headlines.

In other words, I find your bolded comment above to be offensive and insulting to me. Your Oprah comment…you actually have the nerve to imply that I'm what? I've never even watched her show.

Quite interested in your reply...

I don't care if it is offensive to you, as I said, "way too many people thinking they get to be offended by way too many things". IF I called your mother a whore, that would be offensive, get it? And, "the rest of us don't spend our entire lives tiptoeing around your precious sensibilities". I've covered that ground.

The fact that you have to list the "things I don't do" isn't helping your case. :D If we are talking polls, what % of the American public knows that Vick missed an appearance on Oprah?

In all cases, when you get done talking, the fact that nobody cares about your judgment of Vick, or any other celebrity, remains.

I didn't imply anything about you. I simply said that knowing a picayune detail about Vick and Oprah isn't indicative of "not caring/knowing". That's it. And, it was humor. I mean, why do you care if I red flag you? :lol: Do you think there's actually a site somewhere where we keep "San Jose's Red Flag" stats? "If he gets enough of them, well, we might be able to question his manhood on a message board!"

Buddy, honestly....

Does that mean that you won't be a useful source of information for the Charlie Sheen meltdown? I guess I have to go to the TMZ web page to get the inside scoop. :devil:

Oh, and here this whole time I have been calling DMZ. :oops: Shows you what I know. More importantly, shows you what I don't know.

Vick was neither smart, nor dumb, like a few others have said above. But, forgive me - he was dumb for his interest in the NFL. The CBA caused this, nothing more, nothing less. The owners and the Union.

Should Vick have said "no I am not worthy of the 17 million, please give me $8 million?" Well, it would have been nice, but the NFL is just a business.

I know about his cancelled appearence on Oprah from 3 sources: Sirius NFL radio, Sam Simon's twitter and Howard Stern's show. I guess that makes me a real crazy Vick stalker.

And John, I know some former teachers that are child rapists that did jail time. Would you like to employ them?

And John, I know some former teachers that are child rapists that did jail time. Would you like to employ them?

If you are directing your comments to me, I'm not sure, your analogy makes little sense. Vick payed for his crimes. He also was subjected to a severe league suspension (deserveredly so). There are players who were involved in the deaths of others, and they returned to the game.

I have no problem with anyone who dislikes Vick. What I don't respect is the desire for the self-declared moralists to wish ill-will on someone who has assumed responsibility for his transgressions (crimes) and who was subjected to a severe punishment.

Instead of behaving like a vindictive mullah wouldn't it be more charitable to wish that someone who has fallen get back on the right path. This rooting for someone's demise is an ugly stance to take.

If you are directing your comments to me, I'm not sure, your analogy makes little sense. Vick payed for his crimes. He also was subjected to a severe league suspension (deserveredly so). There are players who were involved in the deaths of others, and they returned to the game.

I have no problem with anyone who dislikes Vick. What I don't respect is the desire for the self-declared moralists to wish ill-will on someone who has assumed responsibility for his transgressions (crimes) and who was subjected to a severe punishment.

Instead of behaving like a vindictive mullah wouldn't it be more charitable to wish that someone who has fallen get back on the right path. This rooting for someone's demise is an ugly stance to take.

Sorry. I like the NFL. I like football. I don't see why my favorite sports medium should be polluted by this awful person.

The NFL is a privilege, not a right. HE paid for his crime and for that, he gets to walk free. That doesn't mean I would hire him to hang out at my daughter's sweet 16 party. And it doesn't mean that the Eagles should parade him in front of me every week and expect me to be happy about it. I like the Eagles. I like football. I don't like him.

The bad eggs should be tossed out. We can debate where the line is on who's bad enough to get tossed (Moss?) but it's clear Vick is at one extreme next to Ray Lewis.

You make it sound like you'd hang out with, watch, and support anyone who's done their crime. If that's you, and you lack the ability to judge people, you've got a problem.

Edited by Peace

So did the teachers, they served their time, did their parole, went through therapy, probably even got beat up a few times. The teachers were also stripped of their teachering rights.

Also, two wrongs do not make a right, those players should face the same ridicule as he did. It is not that I dislike Vick the player because I think he's good. I do not dislike Vick the person, I do not know him. I dislike Vick the celebrity. I cheer for his personal success and his ability to overcome his faults. I admire his onfield success. I loathe his celebrity.

I'd like to take yet another opportunity to say thank god we don't have Mike Vick. It was so much more fulfilling to have a team full of players without a criminal record rather than a mvp candidate playoff quarterback who had more rushing yards than CJ Spiller and better completion percentage than Fitzpatrick. Our 4-12 record is a small price to pay to know that the puppies in Buffalo are safe.