Robert Quinn = Dave Wannestadt pet project?

In studying the Stache's resume he's always been a DL coach but yet the Bills have named him an ILB/Assistant HC. One has to wonder if he could then help a guy like Quinn go from DE to LB. As he did coach Charles Haley who transitioned from LB to DL. As Nix did mention that the pass rush would be needed to be upgraded pending the status of Merriman. As let's not forget back in 2005 he was predicted to be a DE as came in with similar size at 6'4" 272 measures and a tad faster at 4.65. I'm pretty sure Nix was in San Deigo at the time Merriman was taken. Thoughts?

In studying the Stache's resume he's always been a DL coach but yet the Bills have named him an ILB/Assistant HC. One has to wonder if he could then help a guy like Quinn go from DE to LB. As he did coach Charles Haley who transitioned from LB to DL. As Nix did mention that the pass rush would be needed to be upgraded pending the status of Merriman. As let's not forget back in 2005 he was predicted to be a DE as came in with similar size at 6'4" 272 measures and a tad faster at 4.65. I'm pretty sure Nix was in San Deigo at the time Merriman was taken. Thoughts?

I like Quinn. A lot. If they take him I think it'll be a happy coincidence more than anything. I doubt very much they hired Wanny because they had Quinn targeted. The two aren't related but could end up being a blessing ...

I really don't know if I like Quinn after he didn't play at all this year. From what I understand he was very

good, but not Great, in the drills and disappointed in the weight lifting after sitting out all year. Why

wasn't he in the gym lifting if he wasn't playing - if he was lifting, why isn't he stronger?

I think he'll work with Danny Batten, Poz, and Kelvin Sheppard, our Round 3 pick. Sheppard was picked for the South team by the Bills coaching staff (source). Our staff then had him calling the signals for the defense at the Senior Bowl. Sheppard was captain of the defense at LSU:

"Posted by Chris Brown on January 12, 2011 – 5:14 pm

The Senior Bowl has announced that two more players have been added to the South roster from LSU.

ILB Kelvin Sheppard, the unquestioned emotional leader of the LSU defense has accepted his invitation as well as teammate DL Drake Nevis.

Sheppard (6’2″, 240) finished the 2010 season third in the SEC in tackles with 108, which led the Tigers. Voted a 1st Team All-SEC player by both coaches and the Associated Press, Sheppard is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick by most scouting services.

Nevis (6’1″ 285) is built a lot like fellow LSU alum and Bills Pro Bowler Kyle Williams. A disruptive interior force, Nevis was a 2nd Team All-American and led the team in tackles for loss (13) and tied for the team lead in sacks (6). He finished fourth on the team in tackles and is projected by some scouting services as a second-round pick.

The Bills will be coaching both players as Buffalo’s staff will be in charge of preparing the South Team."

I would also not be surprised if Nevis was selected in RD4, allowing Williams to kick out to DE.

Edited by Astrobot

Quinn is possibility. Wannstedt's comments about living or dieing on the strength of the defensive front are interesting. I would not be surprised if we draft defense early and often. Now that would be refreshing.

Just throwing this out there. Does a year away from contact make one more or less susceptible to injury? I could see a year off allowing for further physical development and complete healing of old injuries. I could also see it making one a bit soft.

Are there any examples that would point one way or the other?

quinn had 11 sacks in 2009 the last season he played. of those 11 sacks 10 came against the citadel, east carolina, virginia, georgia southern, and duke. quinn had 1 sack (boston college) in his games against connecticut, florida state, virginia tech, miami, nc state, pitt, and boston college i find this troubling.

My link

quinn had 11 sacks in 2009 the last season he played. of those 11 sacks 10 came against the citadel, east carolina, virginia, georgia southern, and duke. quinn had 1 sack (boston college) in his games against connecticut, florida state, virginia tech, miami, nc state, pitt, and boston college i find this troubling.

My link

I pointed this out once before. To augment your statement, 8 of his 11 sacks came in the 3 games against Duke, Virginia, and East Carolina.

Not saying he won't be good, I just think he's a bigger risk than the vast majority of poster on this board believe him to be.

I'm a huge Tarheel fan and I saw just about all those games from that year. The games where he didnt get sacks he got plenty of pressures and was double teamed most of the game and the game against BC was against arguably this years top LT prospect and they tried to have him block him one on one and he was schooled by Quinn. The game film against BC is the best gauge you could have regarding his upside.