Great Buffalo News article on Wannstedt

I have got to say, after reading this article My link, I am more excited than ever that we have added Wannstedt to the staff.

For those of you who may have been a little hesitant to like this move because of his background with the 4-3, and for the rest of us who may have been wondering exactly what he is going to do, this write up better explains what kind of role he will play and hopefully will put you at ease. I especially like what he said about the lines.

Wannstedt is used to having big-time talent in his front seven.

"Everywhere I've been, whether it was the Dolphins, the Cowboys, the Bears, everything has always been: We're going to live and die with how good our front is," he said. "That was the philosophy going back to the University of Miami (in the 1980s), with Jerome Brown and Danny Stubbs."

I really do think this was a great addition to our team. Hopefully it will mean some more W's. What a great time to be a Bills fan. I feel ever since the Baltimore game last year we turned the corner and are FINALLY on our way back up. Should be a great draft, exciting at the very least, with wondering what the hell we are going to do with these high picks.

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into a ra ra session. Just wanted to share the article that sheds a little more light on Wannstedts' role with the team.

GO BILLS!

Couldn't access your link, but read the print version this morning ( yes, some folks still read the printed newspaper ;) ) - great stuff!

Here's a better link -

Buffalo News - Dave Wannstedt is thrilled to be back in the NFL and reunited with Chan Gailey

(Also linked on the TBD main page)

Anyway, looks like Wanny will have broad input that goes beyond just inside LBs and defensive schemes...

Wannstedt obviously will have a big voice in game planning and has the added duty of inside linebackers coach...

"He'll help me evaluate everything," Gailey said. "We'll talk about schedules. We'll talk about thought processes. We'll talk about everything. He's been there before. He'll be a huge help to me with his experience as a head coach and coordinator. He'll be sitting in the evaluations of most every position during the combine."

Fear the 'Stache!!!!! B-)

post-2970-014988200 1298902341_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

The addition of Wannstedt, 58, should be a big plus for the Bills. He has a great track record as a defensive coach, with 36 years of experience, including 15 in the NFL. He was coach of the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins before his Pitt gig. He has two national college championship rings (with Pitt and the University of Miami) and one Super Bowl ring (with the 1992 Dallas Cowboys).

Wannstedt went 42-31 and took the Panthers to three straight bowl games.

Two important slivers of light shed on oft discussed matters:

2. George Edwards will still be the defensive signal caller.
  3. Wanstache believes all defensive success begins upfront.

Begin...

ha does anyone think a defense success does NOT start up front ?>

If the Bills would have lost "Wanna" to anyone else we all know the emails would have come flying in- we're cheap or we always lose quality coaches to other teams etc

Wannstedt- just another reason why I believe the Bills are trending upwards. Hopefully we see it in their record next season but with this leadership, I believe we will finally see the playoffs in 2 seasons.

Really? 2 seasons? Let's try concentrating more on winning at least 2 divisional games a season before we even think about talking playoffs.

Makes me more sure that we will go D in the draft. You don't bring in a Dave Wannstedt in and give that title and a special job to coach ILB's than say here's Poz and good luck. We'll pick some beef up front to keep the OL off the LB's and some ILB help.

Correct. you say "here's Torbor, good luck!"