Bob Sanders

superbills315

Your intuition regarding the owner being behind the Spiller selection is very reasonable. I have heard the owner state that the Bills were a boring team and needed to do something about it. When the owner makes a recommendation to a recently hired GM in his 70s who would have not been considered as a serious GM candidate by any other franchise you better believe that Good Old Buddy listens.

There is a logic to taking Spiller on the basis of his ranking and playmaking ability. Truthfully, he is not the player I would have selected. My philosophy on rebuilding an expansion team (what the Bills really are) is to concentrate on the lines, on both sides of the ball, and then pursue the perimeter positions. The player I would have taken last year was Bulaga. Although it would have been a bit high from a player ranking standpoint he would have been a good pick from a building block standpoint. My preference is to build the infrastructure (lines) and then go on from there.

The Bills were exhibit A this morning about the RB position. First, that you don't need to waste a top pick on the position (see Fred Jackson). Second, that spending a top pick on the position may not be the best move for your team (see Spiller). Seems like the Spiller pick is already being used as a negative benchmark at this year's combine.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills were exhibit A this morning about the RB position. First, that you don't need to waste a top pick on the position (see Fred Jackson). Second, that spending a top pick on the position may not be the best move for your team (see Spiller). Seems like the Spiller pick is already being used as a negative benchmark at this year's combine.

Are you suggesting that the Bills are a model for what not to do? LOL

Although I have reservations of the Spiller pick I still believe that he is capable of being a very good player for us. The rational for taking him does have some legitimacy. He is a big play type of player on a team devoid of big play players. Most player rankings had Spiller as a top ten talent. He was picked in the vicinity of his rankings. So from that standpoint he was a reasonable pick.

In my view Spiller is the type of player whose talents can be more fully exploited playing on a team with a good OL. Last year, that certainly wasn't the case. But as I have said in other postings let's be patient and see how he develops.

Are you suggesting that the Bills are a model for what not to do? LOL

Well, from the Jackson standpoint, they are the model of what other teams want to do. :)

It's not really anything new around here, but the sense is that teams looked at the Spiller pick, the Bills situation when they took him, his absence of production, the shelf life of the average NFL RB these days, and the result is that the atmosphere surrounding RB in general at this combine is deflated and one of apathy. To paraphrase, why be the next knucklehead to pick an athlete like Spiller when you can get better football production out of an Arian Foster?

Well, from the Jackson standpoint, they are the model of what other teams want to do. :)

It's not really anything new around here, but the sense is that teams looked at the Spiller pick, the Bills situation when they took him, his absence of production, the shelf life of the average NFL RB these days, and the result is that the atmosphere surrounding RB in general at this combine is deflated and one of apathy. To paraphrase, why be the next knucklehead to pick an athlete like Spiller when you can get better football production out of an Arian Foster?

I'm confident that if Spiller played with a qb of the caliber of Rodgers and an offense with very good receivers he would have a lot more room to exhibit his explosive talent. As you are well aware of the Bills are in their generation long rebuilding process where there isn't enough talent on the offense to allow a player such as Spiller to flourish.

One of my main gripes with this struggling franchise is the lack of conceptual thought going into the fundamental question of what is the best way to build a franchise? It's obvious that Levy/Jauron had a concept that was upside-down. They preferred the light and quick approach over the bulkier and strong approach. Now the new regime is trying (I think) to undo what has been done. It is time a consuming process. What makes the situation very frustrating is that it comes on top a decade of futility.

Don't be distracted by the Spiller pick. I do get the sense that Nix has an understanding on how to rebuild a roster. What is encouraging is that last year Nix didn't draft a DB. That in itself is progress. I can't tell you who Nix is going to take with the first pick. But odds are that when the draft is completed the Bills will be a bigger and tougher team.

Don't be distracted by the Spiller pick. I do get the sense that Nix has an understanding on how to rebuild a roster. What is encouraging is that last year Nix didn't draft a DB. That in itself is progress. I can't tell you who Nix is going to take with the first pick. But odds are that when the draft is completed the Bills will be a bigger and tougher team.

I wonder if you'll still be confident if Nix continues to follow what they did in San Diego and drafts his Quentin Jammer and Sammy Davis DB picks the next couple of years.

I wonder if you'll still be confident if Nix continues to follow what they did in San Diego and drafts his Quentin Jammer and Sammy Davis DB picks the next couple of years.

Which is why I think Peterson or Amukarma would be a Buffalo Bill. Both of them are more viable options then Bob Sanders

I think Nix and crew like Newton, they like AJ Green, and Ponder, but it does not mean they'll pick them up early or too high.

.................... have heard the owner state that the Bills were a boring team and needed to do something about it. When the owner makes a recommendation to a recently hired GM in his 70s who would have not been considered as a serious GM candidate by any other franchise you better believe that Good Old Buddy listens..........................

Buddy Nix is 71 years old, and maybe to Ralph he's still a kid, but give me a break. Nix will listen as Ralph is his employer, but give nix a bit more credit and respect. He's old enough that pressure from his boss is no where near as effective as it would be if he was younger. Nix hasn't anything left to prove to anyone except to himself. Hopefully, that's to rebuild the Bills into a playoff quality team capable of winning it all.

Buddy Nix is 71 years old, and maybe to Ralph he's still a kid, but give me a break. Nix will listen as Ralph is his employer, but give nix a bit more credit and respect. He's old enough that pressure from his boss is no where near as effective as it would be if he was younger. Nix hasn't anything left to prove to anyone except to himself. Hopefully, that's to rebuild the Bills into a playoff quality team capable of winning it all.

If the owner tells Nix he wants a qb taken with the first pick Nix will take a qb with the first pick.

That certainly wouldn't be my preference. But if Nix took Peterson with the first pick and devoted the brunt of the rest of the draft and free agency to bulking up the defense I wouldn't be too upset.

The bottom line is I want my draft picks to count. In the long run reaching for needs doesn't work. As I have already stated after this draft the roster should be bigger, stronger and tougher. I hope???

If the owner tells Nix he wants a qb taken with the first pick Nix will take a qb with the first pick.

That certainly wouldn't be my preference. But if Nix took Peterson with the first pick and devoted the brunt of the rest of the draft and free agency to bulking up the defense I wouldn't be too upset.

The bottom line is I want my draft picks to count. In the long run reaching for needs doesn't work. As I have already stated after this draft the roster should be bigger, stronger and tougher. I hope???

Absolutely agree, and I was trying to express this in other posts. I don't have any doubt at all that Mr. Wilson has the final say in round 1. I do however think that he had SO much trust in Marv, he gave him TOO much say but I digress. I also think that Mr. Wilson is probably all but through after round 1, the round that sells tickets.

As for drafting Peterson or the other db at 3, this is one year in which I think that there is little chance of the Bills doing something that stupid. Not only would the team be going backwards, fans would yawn and purchase even less tickets. Mr Wilson, who is probably a financial genius, is well aware of this. Didn't he send Nix personally to scout quarterbacks in the middle of last season? I don't think that Mr. Wilson is the type to waste these kinds of travel expenses. This might sound odd, but I believe this. :o:)

I predict that they will select a qb in round 1, and really have no hunch as to what they do after that. The good news is that Nix/Gailey are far better football people than Levy/Jauron. In that sense there is some hope.

He just visited the Jags also. Heck of a talent if he's there for the right price. We have the luxury of having George Wilson sitting there if he hits a rough patch, also. I think he's as guy that needs to have his snaps limited, but there's no doubt he's a beast when he's right. Gotta give the team credit for being one of the few aggressive ones in the league right now. Most aren't even setting up visits.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/20706/20110226/sanders_passes_physical_with_jaguars/

Wilson is a FA. I am really hoping we resign him and let him start so that a much better team doesn't sign him and let him start for them.

You seem really set on having Wilson start at SS. I suppose he's played it a bit in the past, but I really think you're overvaluing him way too much. You'll see when he makes Donte's 5yd down-the-field-tackles after 6yds though. He should be resigned for depth, not to start side-by-side with another FS.