Four Walmart employees who stopped gunman fired...

boyst

"asset protection associates" ????

That is an even more important title than "loss prevention officer"

I am kinda old-fashioned, so I still call them "security guards"

If I were them-making 8 bucks an hour with no gun and some shoplifter put a gun in my back, not only would I let him out of the door, I would help him load some more stuff into his car

I guess these guys learned the hard way that Wal*Mart does not care about them-only the bottom line

I love the Wal*Mart so proudly displays the American flag when you enter, yet they have destroyed small town business across this country and have crushed the souls of those desperate enough to work for them

I know an old guy who used to be a "greeter" for them. They placed some markers in tape on the floor to keep him boxed into a certain area while he worked. They may have well put the poor old bastard in a cage

Most retail stores have a similar policy. I remember a few years back that a Best Buy employee was fired because he chased down a thief just leaving the store. My brother in law told me when he worked for Lowes Home Improvement they could not do anything to a shoplifter if they made it outside the doors.

Most retail stores have a similar policy. I remember a few years back that a Best Buy employee was fired because he chased down a thief just leaving the store. My brother in law told me when he worked for Lowes Home Improvement they could not do anything to a shoplifter if they made it outside the doors.

I thought you couldn't do anything until AFTER they left the store with the goods.

I thought you couldn't do anything until AFTER they left the store with the goods.

It didn't make much sense to me. They would track a suspected shoplifter w/ video and loss prevention confronted the individual at the door. If they didn't get him before they would give his description to the police. That of course never really did any good.

This.

My father witnessed a guy putting items in his jacket pockets at Lowe's a couple of years ago. We shop there a lot, and he knows the people who work there, and he told one of the managers. They watched as the guy put more items in his jacket and then left the store. Town police pulled up shortly after and spread-eagled the guy.

One of the few times in my experience where cops actually showed up before it was all over.

It didn't make much sense to me. They would track a suspected shoplifter w/ video and loss prevention confronted the individual at the door. If they didn't get him before they would give his description to the police. That of course never really did any good.

The reason is obvious: lawsuits. If your employee tackles a shoplifter in the parking lot, the shoplifter is going to sue you for a million dollars for his skinned knee -- and he's going to win.

Thank you to the politicians that take big money from the trial lawyers in exchange for letting this system exist. And thank you to the voters who ignore such things when they go to the polls.

I can't even go in a Wal-Mart without my skin crawling. People don't walk in there, they shamble. I feel like an extra in a zombie movie.

Oh, that reminds me...I almost did the no stop at WalMart the other day to see how it turns out. I bought a new laundry basket and a few other things. Walking out I still had my receipt and planned on walking by the woman, but she stepped like she was going to intercept me and I still turned some. She was with a group of people, a family. As I approached they were leaving and I figured they just got done checking their receipt. Then I heard one say "alright, have a good night mom." I was like F! I so cannot be a jerk now. So I just handed he the receipt and kept walking.

I can't even go in a Wal-Mart without my skin crawling. People don't walk in there, they shamble. I feel like an extra in a zombie movie.

I'll have to take your word for it. I refuse. I'm so afraid the dumb and ugly's going to rub off on me. Target is as low as I go and that's usually the wife's job.

The reason is obvious: lawsuits. If your employee tackles a shoplifter in the parking lot, the shoplifter is going to sue you for a million dollars for his skinned knee -- and he's going to win.

Thank you to the politicians that take big money from the trial lawyers in exchange for letting this system exist. And thank you to the voters who ignore such things when they go to the polls.

That swings both ways. To those who go to the polls, the responsibility for our national debt (approximately 80%) should be born by those who have voted for Republicans. Regan virtually created deficit spending. In his 8 years, he manged to more than triple our national debt, a debt to that point had taken over 200 years to accumulate. Daddy Bush continued it. Then the bell-whether of them all, GWB added in the neighborhood of 5.5 trillion to it.

To vote for Republicans on the basis of debt reduction is a classic example of insanity. To do the same thing over and over, but expect a different result. The GOP has absolutely no problem with debt so long as those dollars are going to the rich and big corporations and not to the common man/women.

That swings both ways. To those who go to the polls, the responsibility for our national debt (approximately 80%) should be born by those who have voted for Republicans. Regan virtually created deficit spending. In his 8 years, he manged to more than triple our national debt, a debt to that point had taken over 200 years to accumulate. Daddy Bush continued it. Then the bell-whether of them all, GWB added in the neighborhood of 5.5 trillion to it.

To vote for Republicans on the basis of debt reduction is a classic example of insanity. To do the same thing over and over, but expect a different result. The GOP has absolutely no problem with debt so long as those dollars are going to the rich and big corporations and not to the common man/women.

What the hell are you babbling about? We're talking about the culture of lawsuits and their real world impact. No one said anything about political parties or deficits. Defensive much?