I really think our draft falls this way...

Alphadawg7

This is not the draft I am necessairly pulling for, but it's how I really see it playing out the first 3 rounds. Trying to figure our rounds 4 through 7 is just about impossible and not worth the time to do so. But here is how I see the first 3 rounds shaking out:

1 - Newton - I dont love or hate this pick. I am not sold on him yet...there is no denying he has immense potential, be also has a considerable amount of risk too. However, sometimes you have to take a gamble to get where you want to go, and if I am going to gamble then this kids upside is something worth gambling on.

2 - Heyward - I can really see him still being there when we pick and most likely the top rated DL still on the board. Sure he can go in the first, but I think he will fall to us based on how I can see the first round playing out. I cant see anyway we could pass on him if he is there. If Heyward isnt there, then I still think we go to DL on board unless a LB/OT is there that we love.

3 - Top rated LB/OT left on the board - I think we grab the highest rated player on our board at one of these 2 positions. I think it will be a LB, maybe even Mathews if he slips out of the 2nd. Pretty difficult to say which one will be here because there are so many mocks out there having some LB's going in the 2nd and others saying they will go in the 4th...same with the OT's. So, I think we address these positions, but to say which player is pretty difficult.

I am not one to make predicitions for the draft, but I really have a feeling this is how its going to play out. I would still be excited with this draft, but the riskiness of Cam makes it hard to love it.

How would you feel about this draft?

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'm more and more in favor of a trade down and don't like "luxury" picks, but Newton would be a pretty ambitious and risky pick at 3. Trading down and fixing our problems in the trenches would be the better choice. Picture us getting a very good OT at mid round one, and a DT and good linebacker in round two and a DE and possible OLB or TE in round 3. That would go a long way toward fixing some of our major problems.

I'm more and more in favor of a trade down and don't like "luxury" picks, but Newton would be a pretty ambitious and risky pick at 3. Trading down and fixing our problems in the trenches would be the better choice. Picture us getting a very good OT at mid round one, and a DT and good linebacker in round two and a DE and possible OLB or TE in round 3. That would go a long way toward fixing some of our major problems.

I would be great with that...like I said above, its not my ideal draft, its just the one I see happening. Honestly, I would love to trade down this year given the depth of this draft and how many needs we have...but I really dont see that happening. The cost to move up to #3 is very high, and we wont trade back without proper value...so who is there at #3 worthy of such a steep price for a team to grab? And if they are worth so much, why wouldnt we take that player given our lack of Elite talent on this team? So, I see a trade down as a very unlikely scenario, although I would be all for it based on the amount of holes we have.

Edited by Alphadawg7

They could trade down, pick up extra picks, still get Newton and fix the trenches. IF things break right. I wouldn't call Newton a luxury pick. Bills will need a QB sooner or later.

Edited by purple haze

They could trade down, pick up extra picks, still get Newton and fix the trenches. IF things break right. I wouldn't call Newton a luxury pick. Bills will need a QB sooner or later.

Now that I would love...trade down and still get Newton along with additional picks. Again, I just dont see anyone available at #3 that teams are going to trade up for. That is why I think we will stay put and take Newton then top DL in the 2nd who I think is probably someone like Heyward and then BPA between LB/OT in the 3rd.

I think there are two different trends of thought

- The first is....he have the THIRD OVERALL PICK.......and there is no telling when we will pick this low again.....we have had crappy seasons and still ended up having the 8-11th overall picks that took us out of the blue chip QB's that you biuld a QB around.....next year our defense could be better...Spiller will probably be better.....Fitz is solid.....and our young WR core will be a year older. Then other teams could have crappy years and thus we dont sniff close to the top 5 of the draft (and I am not rooting for this....but I dont want a 7-9 miss the playoffs year either) there is also the prevailiing thought that there is going to be good defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

- Or you go with the best player at a position of need....a guy like Darius wouldn't be a player you can biuld A TEAM around....but he could be a guy you biuld A DEFENSE around

Cam Newton scares the hell out of me

- If we take him he could be the next Jamarcus Russell....and it isn't because they are black. Its because they both have a TON of potential.......but potential is this thing you call on someone when they are not actually doing it. And yes Newton posted huge numbers in college, in a one read offense, that is not a pro offense

- If we DONT take him someone like Miami could end up getting him.....and having the next Michael Vick (minus the non football issues) for years.

I will leave it to Nix to decide.....I trust him. Nix might decide that he has enough faith in the defensive guys he drafted LAST YEAR in Carrington and Troup that he doesnt NEED to spend a 1st rounder on a defensive player.....not to mention Moates.

This is not the draft I am necessairly pulling for, but it's how I really see it playing out the first 3 rounds. Trying to figure our rounds 4 through 7 is just about impossible and not worth the time to do so. But here is how I see the first 3 rounds shaking out:

1 - Newton - I dont love or hate this pick. I am not sold on him yet...there is no denying he has immense potential, be also has a considerable amount of risk too. However, sometimes you have to take a gamble to get where you want to go, and if I am going to gamble then this kids upside is something worth gambling on.

2 - Heyward - I can really see him still being there when we pick and most likely the top rated DL still on the board. Sure he can go in the first, but I think he will fall to us based on how I can see the first round playing out. I cant see anyway we could pass on him if he is there. If Heyward isnt there, then I still think we go to DL on board unless a LB/OT is there that we love.

3 - Top rated LB/OT left on the board - I think we grab the highest rated player on our board at one of these 2 positions. I think it will be a LB, maybe even Mathews if he slips out of the 2nd. Pretty difficult to say which one will be here because there are so many mocks out there having some LB's going in the 2nd and others saying they will go in the 4th...same with the OT's. So, I think we address these positions, but to say which player is pretty difficult.

I am not one to make predicitions for the draft, but I really have a feeling this is how its going to play out. I would still be excited with this draft, but the riskiness of Cam makes it hard to love it.

I'm certain that the Panthers will end up picking Cam Newton #1 overall. Think about it this way, what exactly is upside of drafting Nick Fairley over Cam Newton when you have Jimmy Freaking Clausen as your starting QB?

After the combine and his pro day, the writing will be on the wall that they are "all in" with Newton. Did you hear Trent Dilfer's obscenely enthusiastic endorsement of Cam after his workout? That's only the beginning my friend.

The Panthers will get a very talented "franchise" type QB (who'll have the endorsement of the "experts") and they'll also get the added benefit of a huge boost in season ticket and jersey sales.

I think the Bills will get Nick Fairley after the Broncos pick Peterson at #2. That's a great first pick!

I am not in favor of drafting Newton -- too big a risk for a team with so many defensive holes to fill. Newton has yet to really prove anything consistantly since he is a one year wonder in an offense that is not pro-style. Newton will give us nothing in the 2011 season so this draft almost assures a top 5 pick in next years draft.

I'm certain that the Panthers will end up picking Cam Newton #1 overall. Think about it this way, what exactly is upside of drafting Nick Fairley over Cam Newton when you have Jimmy Freaking Clausen as your starting QB?

After the combine and his pro day, the writing will be on the wall that they are "all in" with Newton. Did you hear Trent Dilfer's obscenely enthusiastic endorsement of Cam after his workout? That's only the beginning my friend.

The Panthers will get a very talented "franchise" type QB (who'll have the endorsement of the "experts") and they'll also get the added benefit of a huge boost in season ticket and jersey sales.

I think the Bills will get Nick Fairley after the Broncos pick Peterson at #2. That's a great first pick!

Because Jimmie Clausen was drafted high last year just like we draft Troup and Carrington high

You dont draft guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds high to sit the bench or be backup players......If Williams wasnt doing so well you can bet Troupe would be the designated NT starter this year right now.

Cam Newton? Aren't you sick and tired of teams running up and down the field on us? IF we resign Poz and Whittner, that will be about 5 decent (not great) players on defense. It's all about the front 7.

New coach, new QB. That's usually the way it goes. The Panthers are not going to pass on Newton because the burned a high pick on Clausen last year. If he was a first rounder then that would be different, but they can get away with drafting Newton and call it their beginning of a truly new era.

Just go on one of the Panther message boards and see the buzz about Newton, and that was only after one workout.

With the release of Stroud, the Bills are extremely thin on defensive linemen. Unless they make some free agent moves on the D-line before the draft, they absolutely must, must, must draft strictly defense in their first few picks or trade down for extra picks if given the opportunity, so I'd love to see the following picks for rounds 1-4 and then best player available according to need (offense or defense) after that:

1. DT-Fairley\DT-Dareus\DE-Bowers depending on who's there at #3.

2. NT-Phil Taylor\DE-Cam Heyward

3. SILB-Kelvin Sheppard\WILB-Quan Sturdivant

4. SILB-Mark Herzlich\WILB-Casey Matthews

Get a QB next year! If they pick up some good linemen in Free Agency, then we go after a good tight end and an OT in some early rounds in their place.

Edited by hammie65

People dont seem to understand.....the Stroud release will have no bearing on what they do in the draft. This was going to happen ANYWAY.......they could still release Stroud and then totally go QB because they have Stroud's replacement on the roster....Alex Carrington at this point is an UPGRADE over him......then you have Kyle Williams who they might think could slide out to DE to get Troupe onto the field

I am not saying they wont go defense in this draft....but it would not shock me to see that first pick put on a player they think could be the francise....then go defense in every other round......

In the meantime you have a pretty good scenario where Cam would not be required to start.....because we have a pretty good QB in front of him. He can sit this first year and learn.

By the way....if the right moves are made....using a 1st rounder in this way would not spell death to the team. It would mean they need to be active in free agency (if there is one)