Poz quoted in Wannstache interview

How will better talent around Poz make him shed blocks better or not get dragged the extra 3 yards by rb's or learn how to cover TE's or pursue the play properly. I'm not sure how better talent around him is going to make him better. Good players make people around them better. I expect a good mlb to make the people around him better and not to wait for a good player to come and make him better. If the latter is the case he becomes very expendable.

The front office needs to replace all of them because they all suck. I understand your phased approached but his contract is up now. Why delay the move?

It might not, and then we replace Poz next. But if Poz grades out at, lets say, an 80 and the rest of our LBs (and majority of Front 7) are all 50s-70s, then why would we not replace those lower player first?? Surround your 80 with other players graded 80-90 first. Dont cut your squad down to just the 50s-70s and then add another 80. That is how and why this team has managed to be stuck in a REbuilding phase for 10+ years.

However, I would bet that if you put some quality DL in front of him (besides just 1 in KW) who could for once do their jobs and not allow OL to get a clean run to the second level, we MIGHT just see some better play from him.

Bottom line, you need to look at the roster as a whole. If our top talents are all ~80s then cut your 40s and 50s and add some 80s-90s. Dont just cut your 80s and replace them with other 80s.

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All laid out in black and white. Simple, cut and dried, unimaginative. No need to look at other variables. No need to believe that there is anything more than what you see in black and white.

Lex parsimoniae. It's easy to cast blame far and wide and smokescreen. On the other hand, Poz did say that he sucked, and he's a big boy that knows his mistakes are all on film. Is there really a point in denying the undeniable if you're not in marketing?

How will better talent around Poz make him shed blocks better or not get dragged the extra 3 yards by rb's or learn how to cover TE's or pursue the play properly. I'm not sure how better talent around him is going to make him better. Good players make people around them better. I expect a good mlb to make the people around him better and not to wait for a good player to come and make him better. If the latter is the case he becomes very expendable.

The front office needs to replace all of them because they all suck. I understand your phased approached but his contract is up now. Why delay the move?

You mean like if the defensive line could keep the OL off him, he'd have less blocks to shed? If the RB got redirected it would be a lot harder to drag him without that full head of steam while poz is getting moved backwards by a 300lbs man?

To only hold coverage 3 seconds not 6 if we had a pass rush?

Would those things make him look better?

Pre-ngata, people asked if ray Lewis was done. Not saying poz is ray, but that it is a prime example of an elite LB struggling because of talent around him

Edited by NoSaint

Lex parsimoniae. It's easy to cast blame far and wide and smokescreen. On the other hand, Poz did say that he sucked, and he's a big boy that knows his mistakes are all on film. Is there really a point in denying the undeniable if you're not in marketing?

Ok. Lets look at this from another perspective.....your signature.

"We started out with no players," Ralph Wilson said with a hearty laugh. "Our drafts in the last 10 years have been terrible."

"Don’t ever think you can’t fill coaching jobs even if you’re bad." -- Buddy Nix

When you reach rock bottom, break out the jackhammers and dynamite. If water starts pouring in, suck harder.

What are the Bills going to do in free agency?

"Sleep. They asked me if I was going to be there, I said 'Hell, no. I ain't going to be there. I'm going to bed.'" -- Buddy Nix

Every line is a negative statement about the Buffalo Bills. It's easy to draw conclusions such as:

1. You are a pessimist.
  2. You don't like the Bill's management.
  3. You are not really a Bills fan.
  4. You are a negative person.
  5. You are an angry person.
  6. You are miserable.

Does it mean you are any of those things or even all of those things? Hey, its all right there in black and white so you must be all of those things. Right?

Drawing narrow minded conclusions about an interview is different though. Right?

Think about it before answering.

Edited by Rockinon

You mean like if the defensive line could keep the OL off him, he'd have less blocks to shed? If the RB got redirected it would be a lot harder to drag him without that full head of steam while poz is getting moved backwards by a 300lbs man?

Pre-ngata, people asked if ray Lewis was done. Not saying poz is ray, but that it is a prime example of an elite LB struggling because of talent around him

This is only part of the problem. Defensive linemen and linebackers have gap assignments. The coaches changed our defensive front so much last year, no one could tell what their responsibility was. Add to the fact that guys like Kyle Williams and Marcus Stroud are penetrating DTs allowing OTs to slip by them rather than taking on multiple blockers. The way to get better is to make sure DTs and Linebackers are on the same page. Everyone gets a gap assignment. If a DT shoots one gap the Linebacker shoots the other. Linebackers were so obviously not on the same page that Wannstedt was brought in. Run defense is not a difficult thing to fix even for mediocre talent if they know their place in the scheme.

Trust in the Stache!

Not exactly. He's saying (paraphrasing) the coaches are great and I suck, I need to be better.

Some of us are saying, OK, so how do you be better then, Poz? can you be better?

If wanting to be better and working hard at off-season conditioning is all it takes, great. I'm sure Poz will be highly motivated and will do his squats and curls and what-have-you.

If needing a physical skillset (speed?) and/or a mental ability he just doesn't have is what it takes, how will this work?

I disagree that what he is saying is the coaches are great and I suck. What has actually happened is a pretty good indicator that is not the situation as the Bills see it.

Specifically:

1. The single major change in D improvement so far is that the team brought in Wannstedt (generally seen as having achieved his former HC status due to his D skills and failed to hold onto the HC role due to his O failings. My sense is that if Nix/Gailey see any coaching area as needing improvement it is on D so this coaches are great sentiment does not fit reality.

2. In fact, the one coaching area where they are trying to improve not only by adding more talent in Wanny but they fired the LB coach. How anyone can interpret any assessment as being a declaration of the coaching is great, particularly as far as LBs makes little sense.

3. Again, the specifics are that not only was Wanny hired for his D accomplishments but he has been given the task of LB coach as his focus.

I think that Pos's comments are correct on the face of them that the Bills run D gave up a massive number of yards and simply did not tackle runners until they had made substantial gains. The questions are why did they fail to make these tackles and what will the Bills do to improve this.

The clear answers that Bills are trying is that they are bringing a man with D accomplishments and directing him to give particular focus to improving LB production.

Further, by firing the LB coach they are laying a lot of blame on him for not getting his players to produce better.

If anything Poz is actually taking a lot of the blame for this on himself. However, the stats indicate that actually due to the large number of tackles credited to him he certainly could have tried to escape blame. Actually, given that roughly 2/3 of the tackles credited to him were solo tackles it actually indicates he is bringing down the majority of runners he gets credit for tacking on his own without a teammate joining in or piling on to get part of the tackle credit.

Poz is pretty far from perfect and actually when one considers his record for significant injury there is even a legit question whether he is adequate. However, the problem is not indicated in the number of tackles he had, the % of tackles being solo, or even things like his running at the Combine which indicate speed is not his problem in terms of not satisfactory team production.

I understand the argument but there are good lb's on teams that don't have great defensive lines. But if he could shed blocks properly then we would not have to blame the DL. He would be able to shed blocks and 300 lb men wouldn't tie him up on many plays...there are players that do that.

It seems as though you are blaming the runners for running in Poz's direction??? Our MLB should be able to lay a hit on any RB and make him think twice..that is not the case here.

It would be ideal if your lesser players contract ran out first but that is not the case. So do you offer a 1 or 2 year contract, lock him in at reduced role at the same time draft a MLB in the 2nd and or pick up one in FA. Or do you cut your loses now and pick up some MLB's in the draft and FA and call it a day. Since Poz contract is up I would let him walk if he is not willing to take less. If the CBA issue doesn't get resolved I would address the MLB position in the draft potentially with a couple picks regardless of the defense we plan on using.

I heard Nix say we needed to address the MLB position..I think he has evaluated MLB position (including Poz) for him to make a statement like that. Don't be surprise if they don't bring him back.

Edited by VADC Bills

I disagree that what he is saying is the coaches are great and I suck. What has actually happened is a pretty good indicator that is not the situation as the Bills see it.

Specifically:

1. The single major change in D improvement so far is that the team brought in Wannstedt (generally seen as having achieved his former HC status due to his D skills and failed to hold onto the HC role due to his O failings. My sense is that if Nix/Gailey see any coaching area as needing improvement it is on D so this coaches are great sentiment does not fit reality.

2. In fact, the one coaching area where they are trying to improve not only by adding more talent in Wanny but they fired the LB coach. How anyone can interpret any assessment as being a declaration of the coaching is great, particularly as far as LBs makes little sense.

3. Again, the specifics are that not only was Wanny hired for his D accomplishments but he has been given the task of LB coach as his focus.

I think that Pos's comments are correct on the face of them that the Bills run D gave up a massive number of yards and simply did not tackle runners until they had made substantial gains. The questions are why did they fail to make these tackles and what will the Bills do to improve this.

The clear answers that Bills are trying is that they are bringing a man with D accomplishments and directing him to give particular focus to improving LB production.

Further, by firing the LB coach they are laying a lot of blame on him for not getting his players to produce better.

If anything Poz is actually taking a lot of the blame for this on himself. However, the stats indicate that actually due to the large number of tackles credited to him he certainly could have tried to escape blame. Actually, given that roughly 2/3 of the tackles credited to him were solo tackles it actually indicates he is bringing down the majority of runners he gets credit for tacking on his own without a teammate joining in or piling on to get part of the tackle credit.

Poz is pretty far from perfect and actually when one considers his record for significant injury there is even a legit question whether he is adequate. However, the problem is not indicated in the number of tackles he had, the % of tackles being solo, or even things like his running at the Combine which indicate speed is not his problem in terms of not satisfactory team production.

I'm pretty sure Poz never once said that he sucks. Again, you are making a black and white analogy and ignoring the rest.

I'm pretty sure Poz never once said that he sucks. Again, you are making a black and white analogy and ignoring the rest.

I am responding to the black and white paraphrasing that Hopeful made. I actually think that the truth is all gray area which includes the facts being the LB coached got canned but he got canned because his charges including Poz did not perform well enough.

I am responding to the black and white paraphrasing that Hopeful made. I actually think that the truth is all gray area which includes the facts being the LB coached got canned but he got canned because his charges including Poz did not perform well enough.

Very true. I'm glad others are looking at things intelligently instead of just looking at what's on the surface. Makes the discussion much more interesting.

Specifically:

Your comments are well considered and i think similar to mine on the whole Poz thing. I also watched every game excepting the ones i listened to this year.

In regard to alot of issues we had this year. This past year was really a wash. A get to know one another season. Well it's adjustment time.

This new ilb coach is a pretty big move. If Poz cant succeed this year, well maybe it's him not everyone around him. Wannstache will do what is right and good. Imagine if you will, Poz taking an A gap blitz? And sending Sanchez down for the game.

This is only part of the problem. Defensive linemen and linebackers have gap assignments. The coaches changed our defensive front so much last year, no one could tell what their responsibility was. Add to the fact that guys like Kyle Williams and Marcus Stroud are penetrating DTs allowing OTs to slip by them rather than taking on multiple blockers. The way to get better is to make sure DTs and Linebackers are on the same page. Everyone gets a gap assignment. If a DT shoots one gap the Linebacker shoots the other. Linebackers were so obviously not on the same page that Wannstedt was brought in. Run defense is not a difficult thing to fix even for mediocre talent if they know their place in the scheme.

Trust in the Stache!

this is also very true. i was just coming up with the most obvious examples of talent around him helping him make plays. this is just another example. i just think its hard to play downhill as a linebacker when you are trying to get out of the way of mack trucks. its one thing to take on fullbacks, and tightends etc, but when you are consistently getting hit by guards, you will lose more then you win. i will point at lewis getting ngata and extending his career. again, not implying that poz is lewis.

im not saying poz is our franchise defender but i think that if we can resign him, he is average-above average in a good front 7. i think it is also valuable to keep one of our guys that quarterbacks the defense (likely poz and whitner, and i think whitner is gone).

I think if we went Quinn in the first, and Taylor in the second, Poz would look like a much better player.

Williams -- Troup/Taylor -- Carrington/Edwards

Quinn -- Poz -- Davis -- Merriman

Suddenly we control 2 gaps in the middle (assuming one of the NTs works out), and I would like to think Williams would take a double team, and Carrington/Edwards control the Tackle and set that edge. Suddenly we have quinn or merriman (id hope atleast one of them would work out) as a real pass rush threat..... i think poz and davis could play downhill and control gaps and shed blocks a lot better. Im just talking about how much talent within the unit can help.

lets also say poz isnt taking on big guys as often, id like to think he takes less big hits, and gets hurt less.

again, not saying hes the savior, but giving examples of how he could get above average production without having to replace yet another player with an unknown rookie starting in his first year.

Specifically:

Here is the major flaw in how the Bills are trying to fix the problem.

1. I agree that bad coaching is as much of the problem as terrible player acquisition. A good part of the bad player acquisition is that the coaches have no clue what kind of player is needed to play LB in the NFL.

2. As you state the LB coaching was totally inept last year as evidenced by firing the LB coach. IF the LB was so inept last year, what does that say about Edwards? He was the DC and his background is as a LB coach. Looks like they did not go far enough in firing inept coaches. Even the defense was abysmal, he is still the DC.

3.Their answer is to bring in Wannstache to fix the LBs. He may have made his mark as a defensive guru, however his entire background is a 4-3. I guess our LBs will know how to play a 4-3.

4. Since they are adamant about playing a 3-4, why is so hard to comprehend that they should go out and find the best 3-4 coach available to install and run the 3-4. The effectiveness of the 3-4 comes in the blitz schemes, the gameplanning and play calling to maximize the confusion the 3-4 can create. All of the above comes from experience in coaching the 3-4. When Green Bay changed to a 3-4 , they hired Dom Capers and his experience. When the Bills made the change, they hired an inept LB coach with zero experience and follow that up with an exclusive 4-3 guy.

maybe he comes cheap

that would fit Ralph's MO

Ok. Lets look at this from another perspective.....your signature.

Every line is a negative statement about the Buffalo Bills. It's easy to draw conclusions such as:

1. You are a pessimist.
  2. You don't like the Bill's management.
  3. You are not really a Bills fan.
  4. You are a negative person.
  5. You are an angry person.
  6. You are miserable.

Does it mean you are any of those things or even all of those things? Hey, its all right there in black and white so you must be all of those things. Right?

Drawing narrow minded conclusions about an interview is different though. Right?

Think about it before answering.

Well, since this is entirely ad hominem, it's in black and white that you've got nothing. Thanks for the debate.

The simplification of "I suck" was meant to be a joke. Pos isn't the worst player on our team and I never said he was.

As far as what Pos said, he's right and I've made the same criticisms before. He and others need to get off blocks better. They need to play downhill more. They need to tackle better. They need to play better. It's undeniable; they were the worst run defense in the NFL.

He's also right that the scheme is just the scheme; it's not inherently good or bad. It's the players. Now, it is questionable that the players the Bills had were the best fit for this scheme, and the results do suggest that they were not (which I wrote before opening day). Was he completely honest that the coaching was fine? That is probably a bit of a stretch since his own coach was fired, but Bob Sanders is a well regarded, experienced coach.

It's fine by me if Pos is your hero or whatever. Hey, I thought the guy would be a stud when he was drafted too.

I understand the argument but there are good lb's on teams that don't have great defensive lines. But if he could shed blocks properly then we would not have to blame the DL. He would be able to shed blocks and 300 lb men wouldn't tie him up on many plays...there are players that do that.

It seems as though you are blaming the runners for running in Poz's direction??? Our MLB should be able to lay a hit on any RB and make him think twice..that is not the case here.

It would be ideal if your lesser players contract ran out first but that is not the case. So do you offer a 1 or 2 year contract, lock him in at reduced role at the same time draft a MLB in the 2nd and or pick up one in FA. Or do you cut your loses now and pick up some MLB's in the draft and FA and call it a day. Since Poz contract is up I would let him walk if he is not willing to take less. If the CBA issue doesn't get resolved I would address the MLB position in the draft potentially with a couple picks regardless of the defense we plan on using.

I heard Nix say we needed to address the MLB position..I think he has evaluated MLB position (including Poz) for him to make a statement like that. Don't be surprise if they don't bring him back.

i agree we need to be better at ILB, i hope tho that a healthy andre davis, and poz with an extra year makes it a place we can upgrade instead of a hole we have to fill immediately.

i would also question who these great LBs behind poor defensive lines include?

Well, since this is entirely ad hominem, it's in black and white that you've got nothing. Thanks for the debate.

The simplification of "I suck" was meant to be a joke. Pos isn't the worst player on our team and I never said he was.

As far as what Pos said, he's right and I've made the same criticisms before. He and others need to get off blocks better. They need to play downhill more. They need to tackle better. They need to play better. It's undeniable; they were the worst run defense in the NFL.

He's also right that the scheme is just the scheme; it's not inherently good or bad. It's the players. Now, it is questionable that the players the Bills had were the best fit for this scheme, and the results do suggest that they were not (which I wrote before opening day). Was he completely honest that the coaching was fine? That is probably a bit of a stretch since his own coach was fired, but Bob Sanders is a well regarded, experienced coach.

It's fine by me if Pos is your hero or whatever. Hey, I thought the guy would be a stud when he was drafted too.

Ad hominem? Lex parsimoniae? Your funny. Are these supposed to show us how smart you are?

Poz a hero? Seriously, I'm retired Air Force. I can think of a much better definition of the word hero.

Now the bolded part at least shows your using you head. Hey, we're all fans. How about we just agree to disagree before this turns into a tasteless barrage.

Credit for Wannstache goes to south florida radio host and occasional ESPN PTI host Dan LeBatard who coined the word Wannstache years ago.

I think you can guarantee that if one person thought of it, several people did at the same time. My buddies and I called him that watching games long ago and never heard of Dan LeBastard.