how many of you that don't like us taking a corner at 3...

Drew026

Have actually seen Peterson play?

You're just as likely to find a solid pass rusher in the 2nd round as you are at the top of the first, and there is no clear cut QB worth taking at 3. Our secondary is equally depleted as our pass rushing at the moment and you do not want to be relying on McGee who is aging VERY quickly and an inconsistent McKelvin. Patterson can be our Revis and at the same time letting our pass rushers get more time to get after the QB. There shouldn't even be a moment in our heads where we completely throw out the idea of drafting this kid IMO. We're in need of stars and guys who have no questions coming in. He IM0 is the closest thing to a sure thing as there is of the top 5 available players.

Patterson? is this a level?

yeah Peterson sorry. I am playing NBA 2k right now also and I have Patrick Patterson on my team, and his name was in my head haha

Edited by Drew026

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have actually seen Patterson play?

You're just as likely to find a solid pass rusher in the 2nd round as you are at the top of the first, and there is no clear cut QB worth taking at 3. Our secondary is equally depleted as our pass rushing at the moment and you do not want to be relying on McGee who is aging VERY quickly and an inconsistent McKelvin. Patterson can be our Revis and at the same time letting our pass rushers get more time to get after the QB. There shouldn't even be a moment in our heads where we completely throw out the idea of drafting this kid IMO. We're in need of stars and guys who have no questions coming in. He IM0 is the closest thing to a sure thing as there is of the top 5 available players.

I think a team with less kick/punt returners gets a lot more value from him short term. I think he struggles early, moves to safety to help make plays and from there plays Ed Reed like. Prob not THAT good, but very good safety that turns elite when he gets the ball. Just my ten year projection

Edited by NoSaint

I'd take DT over DE, if there was surely a top 3 pick canidate - thanks R.Rich.

I'd take an OLB over a DE, as well.

I'd take Amukarama or Patterson over an LB

I'd take an TE equivalent to AJ Green if there was one available.

I'd never take a QB @3.

Therefore, I would be most happy to have Amukaram or Peterson or the best DT (not sold on Fairley). If we wanted to take a flier and have enough believe that defensive needs are addressed, that is, sign some FA's - I'd be ....okay?...with Green.

Also, one thing I will never take again is cough syrup in the evening to pass out and wake up unable to fall asleep.

Edited by jboyst62

Have you actually seen Peterson play?

I have, multiple times, I don't understand the hype.

Plus for those that haven't seen him play in every scouting report it says he has stiff hips. At his size in the NFL with stiff hips CB is not going to be something he will be a "superstar" at.

Drafting a CB with bad hips is like drafting a WR with bad hands.

Out of all the options at #3 Peterson has the biggest bust potential.

Not to mention you actually can't get athletic 300 pounders later in the draft, that's why they generally go early there are so few of them.

You can DBs later in the draft and unathletic 300 pounders.

If you have a chance to get a freak of nature like Fairely or Dareus you make the pick and you dont think twice.

Btw Marcell Dareus has the same amount of Pick 6s as Patrick Peterson and only 6 less interceptions as Peterson and Dareus is D-lineman. Not really "superstar" stats for Peterson.

Edited by Why So Serious?

well if that was the case, struggling for a year with him at CB and moving him to safety and in turn have an Ed Reed in our secondary for 10 years, that would be well worth the 3rd pick IMO.

Obviously I think it's hard to go THAT far, but I mean a player in that style. I think he has speed and ball skills but will play better in center field then he would around the line or in coverage.

yeah Peterson sorry. I am playing NBA 2k right now also and I have Patrick Patterson on my team, and his name was in my head haha

Have you seen Peterson play? I have and he reminds me of Whitner. What I mean by that is he cant cover. I don't know how or why this guy is touted as the best thing ever. He is like Michal Jenkins coming out a few years ago, or even Antrell Rolle. I dont see him playing CB very long. He will find a home at S.

PS I dont want an average to below average S at 3 either

Plus for those that haven't seen him play in every scouting report it says he has stiff hips. At his size in the NFL with stiff hips CB is not going to be something he will be a "superstar" at.

Out of all the options at #3 Peterson has the biggest bust potential.

Not to mention you actually can't get athletic 300 pounders later in the draft, that's why they generally go early there are so few of them.

You can DBs later in the draft and unathletic 300 pounders.

If you have a chance to get a freak of nature like Fairely or Dareus you make the pick and you dont think twice.

Btw Marcell Dareus has the same amount of Pick 6s as Patrick Peterson and only 6 less interceptions as Peterson and Dareus is D-lineman. Not really "superstar" stats for Peterson.

Bravo. You should be GM.

Have you seen Peterson play? I have and he reminds me of Whitner. What I mean by that is he cant cover. I don't know how or why this guy is touted as the best thing ever. He is like Michal Jenkins coming out a few years ago, or even Antrell Rolle. I dont see him playing CB very long. He will find a home at S.

PS I dont want an average to below average S at 3 either

Bravo. You should be GM.

I will say I don't want Jenkins at 3 but he is a beast right now. If he keeps progressing expect big things. I would not compare him to whitner or a below average safety. Jenkins was player of the week regularly and you saw how that defense fell apart in Seattle with his injury.

OK Gents time out here. Could someone explain to me what "stiff hips" means in the context of an NFL CB?

I get what it means in the context of a tango dancer or an arthritic septegenarian but...?

OK Gents time out here. Could someone explain to me what "stiff hips" means in the context of an NFL CB?

I get what it means in the context of a tango dancer or an arthritic septegenarian but...?

Stiff hips just means a guy struggles to transition from his backpedal to pursuit at times. A CB has to do that many times a game.

Stiff hips just means a guy struggles to transition from his backpedal to pursuit at times. A CB has to do that many times a game.

Yea - essentially try running backwards then rotating your body 180 degrees. Taller guys tend to struggle and lose more speed in the process because the hips don't rotate as well. Even just doing 3 or 4 steps in your house slowly you can feel the pressure in the rotation

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills have "over-drafted" at secondary and RB through the naughts. Unless we effectively draft a OT, DL or LB in the first round, we will be drafting #3 next year. Remember 1st round guys like Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett (drafted in rd1 and traded to us)? That's how the 90's defense got solidified, among others. Imagine the Bills if the "lack-of-brains trust" had drafted Clay Matthews instead of Aaron Maybin, or imagine the Packers if they had not taken Matthews. Since the Bills either drafted the wrong position, or drafted the right position with the wrong person, it confounds the mind predicting an outcome.

Why not take a CB at #3?

First of all, I think you make the assumption that this one player is going to put the Bills into contention. Not too likely. Otherwise, I don't see why building a foundation of defensive backs and running backs would in any way appeal to a Bills fan.

If it's not your premise that Peterson will become a franchise changing player in year one, and even if it is I guess....... then you've clearly forgotten a lesson that should be ingrained into our subconscious here: if you don't have good big people, your skill players get abused and don't produce.

Peterson, while a big corner, is a skill player. In your head, you probably envision him shutting down Santonio Holmes, Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall. In reality, on this team, the worst run defense in the NFL, he would be primarily a run defender. You want to know why McGee got old so fast? Ask him about his shoulders. Run support wears out corners.

IMO, it is a foolish time for the Bills to use their highest draft pick in 25 years on a defensive back. Foolish. IF they go defense, it should be front 7. Get your run defense and pass rush in order and then you can look at adding players to the SECONDARY.

Every cornerback Revis included can be exposed when there is no pass rush. And he better be a good run defender because teams run all day on this defense. We have other needs that are more immediate. If Ralph spent some of his Toronto profits on some Free Agents, I am all for luxury picks.

Every cornerback Revis included can be exposed when there is no pass rush. And he better be a good run defender because teams run all day on this defense. We have other needs that are more immediate. If Ralph spent some of his Toronto profits on some Free Agents, I am all for luxury picks.

+1 The fact that Whitner has a bazillion tackles doesn't mean he's a great DB. It means our DL sucks wet dishtowels.

Yea - essentially try running backwards then rotating your body 180 degrees. Taller guys tend to struggle and lose more speed in the process because the hips don't rotate as well. Even just doing 3 or 4 steps in your house slowly you can feel the pressure in the rotation

Thanks Saint and Cthulhu. Maybe there should be belly-dancing classes for NFL CB?

I would not want to see that :bag: