Who made Joe Buck the main announcer?

He knew somebody: his dad is Jack Buck, the longtime broadcaster at KMOX-AM and CBS Radio/TV. Joe cut his teeth broadcasting St. Louis Cardinals baseball games and worked his way onto the national stage. I personally like Joe, maybe it's due to his connection to the Cardinals, even though many people despise him.

He knew somebody: his dad is Jack Buck, the longtime broadcaster at KMOX-AM and CBS Radio/TV. Joe cut his teeth broadcasting St. Louis Cardinals baseball games and worked his way onto the national stage. I personally like Joe, maybe it's due to his connection to the Cardinals, even though many people despise him.

People piss and moan about the announcers, regardless of who it is. It is the cool thing to do to be a negative prick about everything. It is easy to just say everything sucked, and sheep like nothing more than a good pile on. The announcers are usually one of the easier targets. They have to talk the entire game, and football announcers are not familiar with the particular teams on the level a baseball/hockey announcer is.

I would love to hear one the !@#$s that pisses and moans about he announcers to call a Seahawks/Panthers game, or two teams that they don't necessarily follow. They would be tongue tied and crying in ten minutes.

I like him too. :thumbsup:

People piss and moan about the announcers, regardless of who it is. It is the cool thing to do to be a negative prick about everything. It is easy to just say everything sucked, and sheep like nothing more than a good pile on. The announcers are usually one of the easier targets. They have to talk the entire game, and football announcers are not familiar with the particular teams on the level a baseball/hockey announcer is.

I would love to hear one the !@#$s that pisses and moans about he announcers to call a Seahawks/Panthers game, or two teams that they don't necessarily follow. They would be tongue tied and crying in ten minutes.

Using just the final Pittsburgh offensive play last night as an example...Aikman and Buck both initially thought the GB defender interferred with Wallace. Yet, when the saw the review both corrected themselves. In that situation many many many announcers continue their original thought and are unwilling to admit that their eyes deceived them. THAT drives me nuts about announcers. Those two at least are willing to adjust based on replay.

Mr Beeby Sorry you get up set so easy. Didn't mean to ruin your day. I love the "FOX" team. I love the "ESPN" team. I love football. These people get big bucks so all your comments about tough job hold no water. Buck just isn't my guy. I cry after 5 minutes ever Bills game thank you.

Aikman recently divorced. I would not be surprised if Joe Buck was his new love interest. :lol:

Joe's Dad Jack Buck was a great announcer and Harry Caray's sidekick when both were in St Louis. But when Harry started jumping Auggie Busch's wife Harry had to move to Chicago and both he and Jack became legends. The same will not be said of Troy and Joe.

Edited by jumbalaya

just a thought, what if the home teams announcers got to do the superbowl. so whoever announces in gb would be on fox. i am sure the networks would never allow it given they pay mucho bucks...just a cool idea i guess. all though the last thing i want to here is some annoying boston accent when the pats make it again

There is no possible way that Fox would promote and keep Joe Buck as their primary announcer because of his father if they didn't think he was the best guy for the job. They may be wrong about it, and I don't like him much myself. But his last name has zero to do with him being their #1 play-by-play guy. Zip. Nada. None. Unpossible.

Worst. Baseball Announcer. EVER!

"Mark McGuire, you're the new home run champion!"

There is no possible way that Fox would promote and keep Joe Buck as their primary announcer because of his father if they didn't think he was the best guy for the job. They may be wrong about it, and I don't like him much myself. But his last name has zero to do with him being their #1 play-by-play guy. Zip. Nada. None. Unpossible.

I disagree. Buck is completely out of his league as Fox's #1 announcer. Compare him to Al Michaels, Jim Nantz, or even Mike Tirico. Sure, Michaels is a jerk that's full of himself, but he's very good at what he does. Nantz is a Patriots* homer, but again, he has a good voice and calls the action well. Tirico has a good rapport with Jaws and Gruden, and since MNF has put the focus back on X's and O's, it's actually a really enjoyable broadcast to watch.

Buck, on the other hand, has a voice that is almost a perfect monotone, only changing volume rather than pitch. His personality is as awful as Al Michaels'. I don't see him as a homer for one particular team, but he definitely injects a lot more negative opinion into his broadcasts than most. This guy was hired by Fox at age 25 with little experience other than announcing 2 seasons of Cardinals baseball with his dad.

While I can't say with 100% certainty that Fox has him in that slot because of his father (or because he knows someone), there are only a few limited conclusions I can draw given his near universal dislike amongst MLB and NFL fans. To me, those are the two most likely.