Blaine Gabbert

major

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RW also stated that they wouldn't reach for a QB just to take one, that they will draft the best player, whomever that may be.

Of course the Bills are not going to reach for a qb when their turn comes up. Who is suggesting that they do? If they think the player, qb or whatever position, is ranked in the vicinity they are drafting they will make the pick. No one is suggesting otherwise. You can put that boogeyman back in your pocket and find something else to worry about.

After listening to Gaileys latest comments I'm fairly confidant the Bills will go defense with that #3...you guys can continue dig up conspiracy theories thru all the smoke Chan Gailey is blowing every time he speaks :lol:

The only consipiracy that exists is the one circulating in your own mind. Nothing CG has said allows you or me to know what he and the front office are really thinking. His comments have been vague and somewhat contradictory. He is taking the same non-substantive posture that every other HC is taking. You may think that the plain spoken HC is making delcarative comments regarding his approach to the draft but he is not.

Edited by JohnC

I think the need at qb is a backup. That's why I think they either take one at #3 or they don't take one at all. I agree that if Nix thinks there is a franchise qb available you have to take him. The plan will be not to be drafting that high again, and a franchise qb will help us the most long term. And the concern is long term, not next year. There are run stoppers available after the 1st round believe it or not.

If Carolina takes Cam Newton at 1, which is not an unreasonable expectation, it's conceivable that Fairley is available at 3. I don't see how you pass him up at that position. Still, I think the Bills FO is looking for a franchise QB that they can lean on for the future post-Fitz. Gabbert is looking better and better to me the more I hear about him. It will be interesting to see how draft day falls out.

I'm a fan of Dalton and of Ponder, and I'm surprised their names don't come up around here. Maybe I'm missing something so educate me.

I think it just boils down to the elite measurables that Gabbert and Newton have. Ponder and Dalton's stock have both risen to where they should be 2nd picks IMO.

As for Gabbert, I think he's interviewed well thus far even though PFT's Florio thought it was borderline cocky when he stated he was the best QB in the draft. Me? I could care less and would hope he'd think that. I'm cool with the pick if the Bill's think he's the one.

A year behind Fitz and Gailey rolls into year three with his and Nix's regime QB behind an improving offense and defense. Realistically, I think we're an 8-8 team by then w/ a solid o-iine to protect the franchise QB this pick has to nail if they go that route. I'm pumped!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/25/blaine-gabbert-bangs-his-own-gong/

Edited by stony

Of course the Bills are not going to reach for a qb when their turn comes up. Who is suggesting that they do? If they think the player, qb or whatever position, is ranked in the vicinity they are drafting they will make the pick. No one is suggesting otherwise. You can put that boogeyman back in your pocket and find something else to worry about.

You guys are the ones spouting off that the owner stated they need a QB ""Some of the prerogatives of being a boss and being in your 90s is doing what you want to do and saying what you want to say. In this case the mercurial owner is making sense. And that is a rarity.""

This owner has had his hands in every draft, in every year...and every year they draft no talent scrubs....I can recall you stating that this is mostly RW fault...and now suddenly he has some brilliant insight into what the Bills need....

The only consipiracy that exists is the one circulating in your own mind. Nothing CG has said allows you or me to know what he and the front office are really thinking. His comments have been vague and somewhat contradictory. He is taking the same non-substantive posture that every other HC is taking. You may think that the plain spoken HC is making delcarative comments regarding his approach to the draft but he is not.

Lets get this straight, You! are the one who posted that ""What Gailey says publicly means very little? Do you think he is going to tip his hand about his evaluations about the qb prospects? If Gailey thought that Fitz was a mediocre qb do you honestly believe that he is going to publicly state that our current qb sucks?

Yea, I do think if Chan Gailey thought the current Bills QB sucks,and that the team needed a QB, then I think he would come right out and say so. The Bills are drafting at #3 overall, with only Carolina and Denver in front of them who need defense, and both have new defensive minded head coaches, I don't think they need to be secretive about who they like and don't like in terms of a QB. Just like last season when all he talked about was a "water-bug" type RB,....and then who did the Bills draft..a water-bug type guy in Spiller!

. exactly what statements have been " vague and somewhat contradictory"? care to post a link.

I don't read things into what the HC says like you guys do, I happen to think the man speaks his mind

Edited by Harvey lives

I dont care how good this guy is supposed to be. Anyone with a name of Blaine Gabbert needs to find another team to play on! If this guy is so great, how come no one has heard of him DURING the college football season. WHY? He is an overrated player hyped up to be all that so they can market a QB during the draft.

You bet!!! :thumbsup:

The thing is, its really to early to tell if any of this current crop of QB's is going to evolve into an elite QB, need to look at them again after the combine, and their pro days. We all will see their measureables, its the unmeasurables that are most important. work habits, study habits, first one in, last one out type of a guy.

Recently the scouts have been getting it right, aside from Brady Quinn and Jamarcus Russell 4 years ago...so far it looks like most teams that took a QB early have had success the last 3 years, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, only Tim Tebow isn't starting.

After reading what Chan Gailey has had to say yesterday I'm thinking the Bills will pass on a QB in the first round (I hope so, the defense is just sad), I can't help but think that Gailey might be looking at Ponder in the 3rd round.

You guys, and the armchair QB analysis....

Chan Gailey stated that he thinks Fitz did a great job last season, and is going to remain the starter, he also says that he has won playoff games with players that have less talent then Fitz, thats good enough for me :D

Did you really expect anything less? What was he supposed to say? I hate that kid? Until fitz puts pen to paper on a contract he will be a holdover for one year. I think between the lack of negotiations and the "I haven't watched cams film yet" I'm pretty sure we are hoping cam is there at 3. Just my gut.

Yea in the games the bills won, ya know all 4 of them, Fitz avg 200 yds a game wiht 2tds and .75 INTs... awesome i know. He throws for 245, 1.6 TDs and 1.3 INTs when the bills lose.. funny how that plays out?

You are missing the point. If the Bills think there is a potential franchise QB they arent gonna hold back from picking him bc Fitz threw for 3000 yards.

You know what else Fitz did? threw the saem amount of INTs as rookie sam Bradford, who had a worse team, one less INT than Int machine Jay Cutler.

Thats why this guy hasnt been a #1 except for the lowly Bills. Accuracy problems.

My point is just in case its not clear that Fitz would be better than Newton or Gabbert next year.

If there was a Bradford in this QB class yea but nobody is even close to Bradford this year.

I like what Chan said this week, he has won with lesser QB's than Fitz. Build the D, we can't have teams running the Football down are throats every week, which was the main reason for the 4-12 season

[/i][/b]Yea, I do think if Chan Gailey thought the current Bills QB sucks,and that the team needed a QB, then I think he would come right out and say so. The Bills are drafting at #3 overall, with only Carolina and Denver in front of them who need defense, and both have new defensive minded head coaches, I don't think they need to be secretive about who they like and don't like in terms of a QB. Just like last season when all he talked about was a "water-bug" type RB,....and then who did the Bills draft..a water-bug type guy in Spiller!

. exactly what statements have been " vague and somewhat contradictory"? care to post a link.

I don't read things into what the HC says like you guys do, I happen to think the man speaks his mind

If you think that Gailey or any HC is going to be forthright in discussing what his true thoughts on the draft and even on his own personnel, then you are very naivie. Will the Bills focus on the defensive in this draft? Probably. But that doesn't mean they won't consider taking a qb with the first pick if they believe that the qb prospect can be their long-term qb.

His comments regarding the draft have been vague and non-substative. As have the comments coming out of every organization. You act as if a HC or GM gave deflecting comments about their true intentions they would be acting dishonestly. They would not be. They would be acting appropriately for the circumstances.

Unless you are a clairvoyant nothing CG has said tells you who or what position he is going to draft. If you think you are in the know you are only fooling yourself.

Did you really expect anything less? What was he supposed to say? I hate that kid? Until fitz puts pen to paper on a contract he will be a holdover for one year. I think between the lack of negotiations and the "I haven't watched cams film yet" I'm pretty sure we are hoping cam is there at 3. Just my gut.

Isn't it odd that your gut leaves you queasy while other people's gut leaves them convinced as to what CG/Nix are going to do in this draft? Maybe you need to take extra strength Pepto Bismol to get a better forecast on the draft?

My point is just in case its not clear that Fitz would be better than Newton or Gabbert next year.

If there was a Bradford in this QB class yea but nobody is even close to Bradford this year.

I like what Chan said this week, he has won with lesser QB's than Fitz. Build the D, we can't have teams running the Football down are throats every week, which was the main reason for the 4-12 season

No one is saying either will be better than Fitz next year. You don't draft Newton or Gabbert for next year -- you draft them if you project them to be better than Fitz in the years to come.

If you think that Gailey or any HC is going to be forthright in discussing what his true thoughts on the draft and even on his own personnel, then you are very naivie. Will the Bills focus on the defensive in this draft? Probably. But that doesn't mean they won't consider taking a qb with the first pick if they believe that the qb prospect can be their long-term qb.

His comments regarding the draft have been vague and non-substative. As have the comments coming out of every organization. You act as if a HC or GM gave deflecting comments about their true intentions they would be acting dishonestly. They would not be. They would be acting appropriately for the circumstances.

Unless you are a clairvoyant nothing CG has said tells you who or what position he is going to draft. If you think you are in the know you are only fooling yourself.

Both Nix and Gailey have both stated the defense is their major concern, and I for one believe them.

I asked you to post a link to their supposed comments being vague and somewhat contradictory and now -vague and non substative, I'm not naive, did Gailey state he wanted a '"water-bug" type RB last year, and did they draft that type of player with the first pick or not?

You are the one with all the subterfuge going on in his brain, get a grip

Both Nix and Gailey have both stated the defense is their major concern, and I for one believe them.

I asked you to post a link to their supposed comments being vague and somewhat contradictory and now -vague and non substative, I'm not naive, did Gailey state he wanted a '"water-bug" type RB last year, and did they draft that type of player with the first pick or not?

You don't think that last year Gailey also didn't say that we also needed OL, DL and LBs etc? You and I have fundamental disagreements. Let's move on. You take your path and I'll take mine.

You are the one with all the subterfuge going on in his brain, get a grip

I'm not sure what you mean. But that is okay. You are entitled to your opinion, whatever it means.

You don't think that last year Gailey also didn't say that we also needed OL, DL and LBs etc? You and I have fundamental disagreements. Let's move on. You take your path and I'll take mine.

I'm not sure what you mean. But that is okay. You are entitled to your opinion, whatever it means.

Funny, you don't recall posting ""The only conspiracy that exists is the one circulating in your own mind."" I do, go back and re-read what you post.

It seems like you want to argue for the sake of arguing sometimes.....you want to move on, fine with me...just stop posting garbage that you make up, or back it up with a link

One last thing about Cam Newton you are so high on. 3 years and 3 different schools, he was kicked out of Florida for cheating on exams THREE TIMES, including putting his name on another students paper and turned it in, bought a stolen laptop, and recently declared himself an entertainer and an Icon. Oh yea, perfect fit to follow guys like Marshawn Lynch-Willis McGahee-Travis Henry into Buffalo. He is promoting himself big time right now, just strikes me that this guy is all about the $$$$, a real class act huh...feel that in your gut?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5783051

One last thing about Cam Newton you are so high on. 3 years and 3 different schools, he was kicked out of Florida for cheating on exams THREE TIMES, including putting his name on another students paper and turned it in, bought a stolen laptop, and recently declared himself an entertainer and an Icon. Oh yea, perfect fit to follow guys like Marshawn Lynch-Willis McGahee-Travis Henry into Buffalo. He is promoting himself big time right now, just strikes me that this guy is all about the $$$$, a real class act huh...feel that in your gut?

What do you think pre-draft and combine preparation are all about? It is about promoting oneself to get drafted at a higher spot in order to make more money. It's a business.

Gabbert and Newton are going to be the two top qbs in this draft. If your high moral code doesn't allow you to consider Newton as a prospect that is fine.

So I just saw that Blaine Gabbert is pretty much just as fast as Cam Newton in strait line speed (Newton (4.59)) (Gabbert 4.62), and also should be considered a better thrower once he has his pro-day. That's why I agree that Gabbert should be the #1 QB off the board. Probably going to Arizona at 5.

Edited by Mr. Negative

I am already tired of hearing the so called experts talk about QB Blaine Gabbert. He has done nothing at Mizzou. I would take Newton anyday over Gabbert.

Someone explain to me the upside of Gabbert. I'm just not seeing it.

Let me ask you. What did Tom Brady do at Michigan? Did Drew Brees do anything at Purdue? Did Aaron Rodgers do anything special at California? Did Philip Rivers win national championships? Did Kurt Warner or Matt Ryan do anything spectacular in college?

Matt Leinart and Jamarcus Russell won couple national championships. Am I missing something here? :rolleyes:

Find yourself another argument. I'd take Gabbert over Newton any day.

Edited by DreReed83