Snow anyone?

BB27

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're had 2' to 3' on the ground for most of January but you guys north and west in CT have had it worse. We could be in for an ice storm tomorrow though...not sure if that's worse than another foot of snow or not.

I definately would rather have all snow than any freezing rain / ice. I worry about the roof on my house. We have a ranch, and it doesn't shed snow like capes of the same age. I just finished cleaning snow off my roof tonight. Sucks that I'll probably be doing it again this weekend. They are saying more snow on Saturday!

It just started to snow decently out here in Boston as I started my drive to work. This place is a ghost town because of it, but it's not too bad out there at all. I hope I get the day off tomorrow though. I'd like to have some beer and help people dig their cars out. Sounds like a blast.

I definately would rather have all snow than any freezing rain / ice. I worry about the roof on my house. We have a ranch, and it doesn't shed snow like capes of the same age. I just finished cleaning snow off my roof tonight. Sucks that I'll probably be doing it again this weekend. They are saying more snow on Saturday!

Yeah, the ice will make the roof a bigger problem (the sleet has already started here). My roof has a pretty steep pitch so accumulation hasn't been that bad yet but the ice dams could be a problem with the gutters frozen up.

Yeah, the ice will make the roof a bigger problem (the sleet has already started here). My roof has a pretty steep pitch so accumulation hasn't been that bad yet but the ice dams could be a problem with the gutters frozen up.

Easy fix for ice dams:

Get a pair of your wife/gf's nylons, and cut the legs off them. Fill the legs with ice melt (not salt) and tie them off. Lay the nylons on the gutter (starting at the downspout) they take about 20 minutes to really melt the ice and then move them down the gutter, refilling them as necessary. Once they start working, you can usually just reach in and pull ice chunks out. I did this and it works well!

When this house was re-built in the early '70s my uncle acted as the GC, and while 2x4s were/are code, had them use 2x6s for the trusses. His words: "You'll be able to drive a tractor trailer on this roof."

Professionally, he was a master electrician and later, a reputable building official in a mid-size city nearby. Several of those 'X-is-code-but-we're-doing-Y' upgrades that have really saved us over the years.

National Weather Service Reports from my area show us around 10 inches of snow that is covering the bit of ice we received the last 24 hours; it is snowing at a rate of one inch per hour. We are expected to receive 12-18 inches before it's all over but we may outpace that. Our city has shut down operations as of 7pm CT and forbid anyone from driving on the roads unless authorized personnel. The road cleanup crews are being given a chance to rest before attempting to clear the roads tomorrow at 3am CT. I work at a hospital and they converted a conference room to a large sleeping area with your basic cots (kind of reminds me of the scene from Revenge of the Nerds, where the future- Tri-Lambs are staying in the high school gym) for employees who don't want to go home or want to arrive early for work and need rest.

On top of the snow falling is the issue of the power lines "galloping", where they sway in the wind due to the stress from heavy ice on them. The power has flickered here at home a few times and it would not surprise me if the power went out for an extended time.

I'm concerned along Lake Erie as this storm, coupled with Lake Effect, would pack a mighty wallop to Buffalo and surrounding cities.

Stay safe out there!

Pouring rain last night, changed to sleet over night, changed to freezing rain which finally changed to snow this morning. I decided it was too treacherous to drive to work. :)

Same thing for me down here @ Super Bowl 45 headquarters. Except I made it to work.

In my neck of the woods they are only expecting about 24"... The record for Chicago is about 23" back in the Blizzard of '67. You may say that 23" doesn't seem like a lot... That Chicago should have gotten more... But no... 23" is the all-time record. The thing that is the problem here is the flat and level topography. Take 20" of snow, mix it in with blizzard conditions and it is like a bad BFLO storm on steriods over a vast region. I am gonna have a heck of time just getting out of my house when it finally stops... Drifts are already 8 feet high! :wallbash: :wallbash:

bbb... Its coming! Not sure how much will end up in BFLO... But the wind is brutal, at times you can't even see your hand in front of your face! Here in Illinois it seems 10x worse than anything that is thrown at WNY... Every road and street is like being on the 219 in WNY when they are getting walloped... There is no place to hide from the drifting snow, nothing on the topography to stop it from doing what it wants to! I don't think the winds have stopped blowing out of the north east... Which is a receipe for disaster in the area I am at... Lake Michigan has such a huge fetch and it never freezes totally.

I think they are calling in the National Guard to rescue stranded people. I don't know what people where thinking being out and about, I have prepared to hunker down since Sunday night. I gotta be at work @ 1600 today... I am not even sure my Jeep will make it through and that has well over a foot ground clearance.

It is bad... The only good thing is that it isn't '67, '77, or '79... And people aren't driving those God awful rear-wheel drive beasts.

Champaign Mike... Take care... I remember back in 1994 when my wife was coming back to Chicago on I-57 from the U of I... It took her 12 hours on what should have been a 2 hour drive... They (State Police) kept closing down the interstate, they couldn't find it!

All I can say it that this is very epic, but it should be no problem.. We will weather it.

2 inch's snow in Anchorage today, 28 degrees, no wind. How can anyone live in Alaska?

By foisting your crappy weather on us... That is how they can live there... The arctic air that is plunging down into the lower 48 is from AK... :P;)

We haven't had a snow storm like this in almost 45 years... And still they are only predicting about 24 inches (all time record)... Didn't NY city just get 30+

The only bad thing is the power seems to be blipping out... I can hear it (voltage drop) clicking on my UPS a bit... Hope it was just a fluke... I don't want to have to fire up the fireplace unless it is really needed.

By foisting your crappy weather on us... That is how they can live there... The arctic air that is plunging down into the lower 48 is from AK... :P;)

We haven't had a snow storm like this in almost 45 years... And still they are only predicting about 24 inches (all time record)... Didn't NY city just get 30+

The only bad thing is the power seems to be blipping out... I can hear it (voltage drop) clicking on my UPS a bit... Hope it was just a fluke... I don't want to have to fire up the fireplace unless it is really needed.

No sir you get your weather from Canada. I get mine from Russia and it's way better than lower 48's :nana:

No sir you get your weather from Canada. I get mine from Russia and it's way better than lower 48's :nana:

Then where does it go after that? You do live in AK... I don't care if you have a coastal climate... Parts of AK are still in the arctic... ;)

Anway... This storm is way cooler than the one in '77 when I was nine years old... This one at age 42 I can at least revel in as an adult... Makes me want to hop in a 1973 Olds Ninety-Eight and get stuck under a viaduct! :D

Then where does it go after that? You do live in AK... I don't care if you have a coastal climate... Parts of AK are still in the arctic... ;)

Anway... This storm is way cooler than the one in '77 when I was nine years old... This one at age 42 I can at least revel in as an adult... Makes me want to hop in a 1973 Olds Ninety-Eight and get stuck under a viaduct! :D

Not my part-no accident. I live in ANC by choice. In Buff 77 I put tire chains on my 67 mustang and

cruised around and had a blast. That thing was like a tractor.

Not my part-no accident. I live in ANC by choice. In Buff 77 I put tire chains on my 67 mustang and

cruised around and had a blast. That thing was like a tractor.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just sold my father-in-laws old Toro from 1984 for 100 bucks... I told the guy I work with (who bought it): "We don't get big snow and it is such a pain to drag that beast out for 4" here, 2" there... And speaking of tire chains, the chains on the snowblower were chewing up my asphalt driveway...

Boy was this a dumb thing to do (sell it)... Anyway, I have neighbors on both sides of me with throwers... I just offer to fork over the gas. :D