On this date, 17 Years ago

Albany,n.y.

17 years ago, on this date the Bills last Super Bowl was played.

Around this time 17 years ago, I took the duct tape off the envelope that I had placed my Super Bowl ticket in and attached inside my shirt for safe keeping and took the ticket out. Petrino took the stitches out of his ticket that he had sewn to his shirt and now was ready to present at the Georgia Dome. We then waited for our bus to arrive at Knight's Inn in Marietta,Ga. and take us to Atlanta.

I had 4 similar mornings in 4 cities between 1991 and 1994. In 1991 it was waiting for the bus at the Bill-Mar hotel in Treasure Island, Fla, 1992 at the Budgetel outside Minneapolis, and in 1993 it was leaving the Ramada Inn in Anaheim, Ca, driving to Pasedena at 7:30 AM and ended up being the 2nd car to get into the general parking area next to the Rose Bowl.

There may never be another morning like that again.

Had Thurman Thomas held onto the ball, the way he should have, he never would have fumbled it when Dallas Cowboy Leon Lett touched it.

Instead, with the Bills in the lead during the third quarter and marching effectively (momentum) with the ball, Thurman fumbled the ball and the rest is history.

THIS is the Super Bowl that the Bills should have won. The Cowboys were playing horrible and their ineptitude was ripe for the picking.

With the score 10-6 with two minutes left the Bills intercepted Aikman and were driving. They were inside the 10 yard line with 3rd and 6, or something like that, and they called that stupid ass shuttle pass play. It never worked. It was a gutless play, to settle for a field goal which made the score just 13-6 at helftime. Had the Bills gone for the throat the score would of been 17-6 and the Thurman fumble would not have tied the score and crushed the teams morale.

With the score 10-6 with two minutes left the Bills intercepted Aikman and were driving. They were inside the 10 yard line with 3rd and 6, or something like that, and they called that stupid ass shuttle pass play. It never worked. It was a gutless play, to settle for a field goal which made the score just 13-6 at helftime. Had the Bills gone for the throat the score would of been 17-6 and the Thurman fumble would not have tied the score and crushed the teams morale.

I agree that 7 instead of 3 would have been a big difference, especially mentally.

The team we fielded that day may have been the worst of the four teams that we sent to the super bowl. I still thought they could win the game though.

The thing that bothers me most about the Super Bowl losses is that during those years our regular season record against the NFC was so strong.

I agree that 7 instead of 3 would have been a big difference, especially mentally.

The team we fielded that day may have been the worst of the four teams that we sent to the super bowl. I still thought they could win the game though.

The thing that bothers me most about the Super Bowl losses is that during those years our regular season record against the NFC was so strong.

Quite true, that team was already a bit on fumes, had to put on a big spurt to make it at the end. Alas, Thurman fumbled twice in that game; an earlier fumble led to a Dallas FG. The truly unsung moment was in the first half when the Bills drove from inside the 5 to close to midfield, then Kelly threw deep for Beebe on first down... just barely missed, and they ended up punting. If they score on that play, the game gets blown wide open.

Quite true, that team was already a bit on fumes, had to put on a big spurt to make it at the end. Alas, Thurman fumbled twice in that game; an earlier fumble led to a Dallas FG. The truly unsung moment was in the first half when the Bills drove from inside the 5 to close to midfield, then Kelly threw deep for Beebe on first down... just barely missed, and they ended up punting. If they score on that play, the game gets blown wide open.

its a game of inches

True points. But, IMO, the ghosts of Super Bowls past were just too much for the Bills in this last one. The Bills were outplaying Dallas and in great shape to win the game... even after Thurman's fumble. But, you could just see the look in their eyes after that play. They looked defeated.. .they had the "here we go again" look in their eyes. While, Dallas just seized the momentum and never let if go. At 13-6, Dallas scoring didn't mean we lose the game, but the players sure acted as though the game was over at that point.

its a game of inches

True dat...if for a couple plays mentioned above, the Bills could have won XXVIII. And XXV could have gone the Bills way as well, but for a couple of snaps and, especially, missed tackles.

What I'll never forget about looking back on XXVIII, is that for the NFL Films highlights for the Super Bowl preceeding that one, Pig-Face Satan is shown in the beginning saying, "I knew we were going to win, I just didn't know what the score would be." How could the Bills NOT come out on fire in XXVIII and shove it up the Cowgirl's a$$?

They looked defeated.. .they had the "here we go again" look in their eyes. While, Dallas just seized the momentum and never let if go. At 13-6, Dallas scoring didn't mean we lose the game, but the players sure acted as though the game was over at that point.

Fans too. I was at a Bills hangout, Grevey's in Falls Church, VA, and when it was 13-6 at halftime, people were singing, dancing, and acting all giddy. I knew it was far from over. When Dallas scored to tie the game, you could feel the oxygen being sucked out of the entire bar.

True points. But, IMO, the ghosts of Super Bowls past were just too much for the Bills in this last one. The Bills were outplaying Dallas and in great shape to win the game... even after Thurman's fumble. But, you could just see the look in their eyes after that play. They looked defeated.. .they had the "here we go again" look in their eyes. While, Dallas just seized the momentum and never let if go. At 13-6, Dallas scoring didn't mean we lose the game, but the players sure acted as though the game was over at that point.

Agree completely, this is the thing that bothers me the most about those superbowl years. Dumb mistake but still can't believe the players mailed it in the rest of the game.

Agree completely, this is the thing that bothers me the most about those superbowl years. Dumb mistake but still can't believe the players mailed it in the rest of the game.

I remember that game! :angry::( After Thurman's fumble, he sat on the bench in a state of mourning. That feeling proved contagious and quickly infected the entire team.

Had it been Vince Lombardi on the sidelines instead of Marv Levy, that team would not have given in to despair! Lombardi would have done whatever he had to do to whip his team back into fighting spirit. Maybe the Bills would still have lost, but at least they would have gone down fighting! Then again, maybe they wouldn't have lost.

I remember that game! :angry::( After Thurman's fumble, he sat on the bench in a state of mourning. That feeling proved contagious and quickly infected the entire team.

Had it been Vince Lombardi on the sidelines instead of Marv Levy, that team would not have given in to despair! Lombardi would have done whatever he had to do to whip his team back into fighting spirit. Maybe the Bills would still have lost, but at least they would have gone down fighting! Then again, maybe they wouldn't have lost.

I think Marv did more than ok to get this team up after three SB loses and to play in a fourth. Give him a break.

I think Marv did more than ok to get this team up after three SB loses and to play in a fourth. Give him a break.

Marv has said it's his biggest regret.

Mine, too. This one hurts way more than the others to me.......I can't ever get it out of my mind that Thurman quit and the rest of the team followed him.........The score was friggin tied!!!

Ugh - it kills me!

The shovel pass may have worked if if Jimmy Johnson didn't know the Bills were going to call that play. Did you ever hear him admit seeing Buffalo practice video of that play before the game? I saw it on the NFL network - it was the story of the 1993 cowboys I believe. They showed the video Johnson watched. Kelly and Thurman running through he shovel pass during a taped practice. Johnson had the balls to say something like "I mentioned to Jim several years later that I saw video of the shovel pass before the game". "Jim wasn't very happy when I told him". What a stupid comment - Why would he be happy? F'n cheater!

Here is the video - compliments of youtube - watch starting at 4:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-7kyEP4XM&feature=related

WTF was thier practice video on TV?

Edited by Azucho98