Spiller C+

Draftek gave spiller as a C+ for his rookie season.

Spiller finished the season with 74 rushes for 283 yds, 3.8 avg, 5 fumbles, 1 TD, and a zillion missed blocks. Kick return is a better story. C.J. averaged 23 yards per return, exceeding the 1000-yd mark and returning one for a touchdown. Gailey has said that Spiller must improve on his pass-blocking skills to see more playing time. Right now, he's an expensive special teamer behind Fred Jackson. :thumbsup:

couldn't agree more.

http://www.drafttek.com/RookieRetror1.asp

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller finished the season with 74 rushes for 283 yds, 3.8 avg, 5 fumbles, 1 TD, and a zillion missed blocks. Kick return is a better story. C.J. averaged 23 yards per return, exceeding the 1000-yd mark and returning one for a touchdown. Gailey has said that Spiller must improve on his pass-blocking skills to see more playing time. Right now, he's an expensive special teamer behind Fred Jackson. :thumbsup:

couldn't agree more.

That was a depressing link I just clicked on! :( The first eight picks in last year's draft were mostly A's, with a few B's or B+'s mixed in. Then there was the Spiller pick (C+), after which it went right back to A's and B's. :( Every player taken within the first 28 picks of the 2010 draft was rated B or higher, except for Spiller. :cry:

I'm more concerned with Spiller's average yards per carry (3.8) than with his lack of pass blocking. Normally pass protection is the thing rookie RBs struggle with the most. But Fred Jackson averaged 4.2 yards per carry with the same OL Spiller had. The whole point of taking a RB 9th overall was supposed to be to get an upgrade at the RB position. A reduction of 0.4 yards per carry versus the current starter doesn't seem to provide that.

I couldn't care less what Spiller does or doesn't do on special teams. You don't take a RB 9th overall just to be a return man. Especially not when punt returner and kick returner are the only positions your team may actually have even more depth than it did at running back!!

C+?!

After a trainwreck season where we watched our "electrifying gamebreaker" ride the pine and relentlessly fumble away his few touches, grading that out to be slightly better than average is a farce.

Fans tout him as the second coming of O.J. Simpson (lol) while at the same time saying that he needs to improve his ability to run between the tackles, and run North/South, and his vision, and his ball security, and his pass protection.

After a season where we watched rookies all over the league start and make huge impacts for good, playoff caliber teams while ours couldn't even dress for the games at times, it is hard to swallow the notion that Spiller, who couldn't wrestle carries away from a 30+ year old middling running back, was a slightly above average pick.

Edited by akm0404

couldn't agree more.

A C+ might be a little generous, considering how high he was drafted. The last few games of the season he Fair Caught every kick that came his way, and still fumbles some of those. He was a total disappointment, and a direct reflection on how Buddy Nix is going to run this team. Take away one kick return for a TD and Spiller might have been better served to be inactive on game days.

D+ would be more like it. First RB off the board and he wasn't even in the top 5 of rookie RBs (yds from scrimmage). Being outperformed by Jahvid Best, Toby Gerhart, Cory Ivory, Ryan Mathews, Lagarette Blount, that's just embarassing. 21 million guaranteed?

Way to earn that money Spiller !!

That was a depressing link I just clicked on! :( The first eight picks in last year's draft were mostly A's, with a few B's or B+'s mixed in. Then there was the Spiller pick (C+), after which it went right back to A's and B's. :( Every player taken within the first 28 picks of the 2010 draft was rated B or higher, except for Spiller. :cry:

I'm more concerned with Spiller's average yards per carry (3.8) than with his lack of pass blocking. Normally pass protection is the thing rookie RBs struggle with the most. But Fred Jackson averaged 4.2 yards per carry with the same OL Spiller had. The whole point of taking a RB 9th overall was supposed to be to get an upgrade at the RB position. A reduction of 0.4 yards per carry versus the current starter doesn't seem to provide that.

I couldn't care less what Spiller does or doesn't do on special teams. You don't take a RB 9th overall just to be a return man. Especially not when punt returner and kick returner are the only positions your team may actually have even more depth than it did at running back!!

One thing to remember - when you don't trust him to pass block it closes up the playbook a lot when he comes in. It let's the defense cheat, which makes it hard for him to produce. Could be a difference we see next year. Could mean nothing.

I'm no fan of Dick Jauron, but losing Eric Studesville along with him was a bigger loss than the average joe six pack fantasy football guy in lackawanna realizes. this guy was an expert running backs coach and largely made Jackson, who also got great reps in NFL Europe (rushing champion, etc) what he is today. Spiller came in cold from Junior year in college, knowing zero about being a running back at the NFL level. there is no comparing Fred's first or second year to Spiller's first year. Spiller is learning now what Jackson learned in NFL Europe and with Studesville. No way Spiller was going to be an impact player day 1. They invested in him. He is a project they couldn't let get away.

But OK, lets say we do it your way. Now that he, by his own admission, "gets" how to run in the NFL, Let's cut him now and move on. And look forward to seeing him in a Patriots or Jets or Steelers uniform about 30 seconds later ( and twice a year for the next 5-8 years.) Cut him now. Just like Peters, Winfield, Williams and all the rest of the really naturally talented players we have coached up and showed the way. You are right.

You are too impatient. What are you gonna do when they lose another 10-11 games this rebuilding season (highly highly likely)??

Call for Gailey's head? and start all over? We're all frustrated. but it took 5 years to get to where we are. will take several years to fix.

you all sound like a bunch of bitter !@#$s. i know that trait is ingrained into the Bills' fan DNA, but for !@#$s sake - its like youre rooting for the guy to fail.

Unbelievable, isnt it? These threads with the whiners whining are getting really hard to read. Spiller has a ton of talent guys. He is not a bust after just one season. Just stop the silly talk. Gailey even said it in an interview, "we won't be having this conversation in year 5". And personally, I don't think we'll be having this conversation after next year. But just keep on whining. It's what you do.

It isn't whining at all.

The team made the wrong decision, people are pissed off about yet another terrible decision.

By year 5, CJ's best years will be behind him and if Gailey is still around, he'll be drafting more waterbugs.

When I started watching Spiller's college highlights I noticed he always carried the ball in his right hand/arm no matter where he was on the field. RB's shift the ball to the arm closer to the sidelines to protect the ball better. I think Spiller needs to relearn how to carry the ball. This is his biggest liability right now..

It isn't whining at all.

The team made the wrong decision, people are pissed off about yet another terrible decision.

By year 5, CJ's best years will be behind him and if Gailey is still around, he'll be drafting more waterbugs.

What are the power ball numbers since you know the future. Help us all out. Don't just keep your vast knowledge to the

realm of football.

boy are yall gonna look stupid when you see him in his second season

Well unfortunately it looks like the Crystal Balls are out-of-order, so all we have to go by is what actually happened on the Field...

There's no question Spiller can bounce back...There's also no question his Rookie Year was a HUGE disappointment... B-)

Unbelievable, isnt it? These threads with the whiners whining are getting really hard to read. Spiller has a ton of talent guys. He is not a bust after just one season. Just stop the silly talk. Gailey even said it in an interview, "we won't be having this conversation in year 5". And personally, I don't think we'll be having this conversation after next year. But just keep on whining. It's what you do.

Hope you're right...

But in an Offense that saw no names like Steve Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick resurrect their careers one has to wonder why the guy with the most talent could not seemingly get on-track...Freddie seemed to do just fine...Spiller was simply not nearly what he was advertised as being...Remember he got a TON of National support for Pre-Season Rookie Of The Year...So I don't blame anyone for being a bit skeptical...Especially when the Bills could have had Bulaga and filled a massive need at RT...Even though this is a new brain-trust...The scars still remain...And it's easy for a Bills Fan to think the worst...Like Spiller is going to bomb, and we passed on fill-in-the-blank... B-)