Very interesting comment in PFW Whispers re: Lee Evans

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/22/rookie-db-wilson-out-of-favor-with-jets

• WR Marcus Easley didn't play a single snap for the Bills in 2010, and due to a left knee injury early in training camp that put him on I.R., he barely even practiced much with the team. That should change in 2011, as the team has high-hopes for the fourth-round pick. If Easley can return to 100 percent, he should be able to compete for a spot in the WR rotation. The Bills already have a lot of young, inexpensive talent at the position, and Easley's emergence could mean the end of the line for high-priced vet Lee Evans.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/22/rookie-db-wilson-out-of-favor-with-jets

• WR Marcus Easley didn't play a single snap for the Bills in 2010, and due to a left knee injury early in training camp that put him on I.R., he barely even practiced much with the team. That should change in 2011, as the team has high-hopes for the fourth-round pick. If Easley can return to 100 percent, he should be able to compete for a spot in the WR rotation. The Bills already have a lot of young, inexpensive talent at the position, and Easley's emergence could mean the end of the line for high-priced vet Lee Evans.

Sounds like a repost from here. Shoddy reporting, as Evans' cash pay is relatively small next year and that's all Wilson & Overdorf care about. At $4 mil, he's still a valuable contributor to the offense.

I'm not sure I believe this rumor. But let me say that Easley was an extremely impressive college WR that carried the punchless UConn offense on his back. I was really disappointed when he got hurt. If he recovers all of his previous speed, then the Bills will have a nice young corps of receivers with Nelson, Johnson, and Easley.

Now go get a tight end.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that a fourth-round pick coming off a season-ending injury, without one down of regular-season experience, is going to replace Evans, based on preseason results. You might compare this to believing that D. Bell could step in in 2009 to replace Peters. Whatever you think of the "overpriced vet," going into the season without great talent and a great plan B is asinine.

If moving Evans nets pieces that make the Bills better, so be it, but I have not seen anything from Stevie Johnson that tells me that he's emerged at #1. He is a very solid #2 who needs to work on his hands. None of us has seen anything from Marcus Easley yet, so I can't even begin to comprehend how he replaces Evans in terms of drawing away coverage and pure speed threat on the field. Perhaps he can be more effective going underneath, but again, I'm waiting for evidence against NFL competition.

Wouldn't surprise me for Evans dealt for a 5th rounder if a CBA ever gets done. His contract isn't that bad for most teams. But to say Easley is on the comeback is absurd. He hasn't played a down and was a one year wonder in college.

If the Bills turn another 1st rounder into a 5th rounder I am going to fire a cannonball at Ralph's tennis court.

Funny stuff with the Marcus Easley hype. He was a 4th rounder, something like the 100th best college player. And that's the shooting star that we are desperate to hitch our wagons to. I hope he is super great too, but let's get serious - there is absolutely ZERO reason to believe that he is a superstar in the making, aside from blind optimism.

Sounds like a repost from here. Shoddy reporting, as Evans' cash pay is relatively small next year and that's all Wilson & Overdorf care about. At $4 mil, he's still a valuable contributor to the offense.

I wouldn't be shocked if the coaching staff isn't in love with Evans -- he wasn't productive this season, and wasn't a valuable contributor to the offense (I'm not saying it was his fault, btw). On the other hand, they really did seem high on Easley before he got hurt last year. Also, he had an injury that's pretty easy to come back from at 100 percent these days. That said, words are cheap -- who knows what they really think of Easley.

PFW is pretty reliable, I think. They don't profess that this is the final word; it's just based on their conversations with staffs for NFL teams. It may have come from a personnel guy on another team that isn't really aware of the situation in Buffalo. Then again, that person may be more aware than anyone here.

I wouldn't be shocked if the coaching staff isn't in love with Evans -- he wasn't productive this season, and wasn't a valuable contributor to the offense (I'm not saying it was his fault, btw). On the other hand, they really did seem high on Easley before he got hurt last year. Also, he had an injury that's pretty easy to come back from at 100 percent these days. That said, words are cheap -- who knows what they really think of Easley.

PFW is pretty reliable, I think. They don't profess that this is the final word; it's just based on their conversations with staffs for NFL teams. It may have come from a personnel guy on another team that isn't really aware of the situation in Buffalo. Then again, that person may be more aware than anyone here.

I'd say if the CBA is not settled by the draft it would be pretty pointless to trade Evans since the most you would get for him is a pick in 2012.

Let us not count chickens before they are hatched. Easley has done squat in the NFL so far. We will have time next off-season to assess the WR situation if indeed Easley turns out to be a good WR. As of now, way too many 'ifs'.

yea, if easley and johnson pan out then evans might be gone. if brown becomes better then fitz, it might be bad for fitz..... when backups play as well or better then starters and are younger, you go with them. that article offered no insight to buffalo, but simply put, stated common sense.

Let us not count chickens before they are hatched. Easley has done squat in the NFL so far. We will have time next off-season to assess the WR situation if indeed Easley turns out to be a good WR. As of now, way too many 'ifs'.

No one is saying it's a done deal - it's speculation. It can't be denied that Evans did not thrive in this offense. He didn't do much in 2009 either. There are a lot of receivers who were more productive than Evans who cost less than $4.225 million a year. I'd prefer that he stay (it's not my money). At the end of the day, I'm guessing he will because the Bills do tend to keep moderately productive solid citizens.

yea, if easley and johnson pan out then evans might be gone. if brown becomes better then fitz, it might be bad for fitz..... when backups play as well or better then starters and are younger, you go with them. that article offered no insight to buffalo, but simply put, stated common sense.

The "insight" it offers (if you want to call it that) is that it's not coming from them, but from NFL people they interviewed.

I would think it should have been as clear to the coaching staff as it was to me and anyone who was watching that the Bills had severe trouble getting the ball downfield, the WRs getting easy catches, and the RBs not having to play against stacked defenses daring us to throw downfield once Evans went down. I'd imagine they were much more convinced we need him when he didnt play.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Exactly. I doubt Lee Evans is going anywhere. His contract isn't outrageous and even if someone else emerges, he is a great insurance policy and has the most experience on the team at WR. Easley has done nada in the NFL. Hope he becomes the second coming of Andre Reed. But putting all your hopes in Marcus Easley is ridiculous. Waaay too early...

But for $350k you can get an un-drafted free agent to contribute as much if not more.

No one is saying it's a done deal - it's speculation. It can't be denied that Evans did not thrive in this offense. He didn't do much in 2009 either. There are a lot of receivers who were more productive than Evans who cost less than $4.225 million a year. I'd prefer that he stay (it's not my money). At the end of the day, I'm guessing he will because the Bills do tend to keep moderately productive solid citizens.

The "insight" it offers (if you want to call it that) is that it's not coming from them, but from NFL people they interviewed.

but thats about as insightful as someone saying at the bills slot in the draft, the bills will either draft the third player off the board or make a trade... its source really doesnt matter at that point.

evans wont be a 3rd or 4th receiver for us, and if he becomes one -- as HIGHLY unlikely as it is that Easley does that -- he will be out the door via trade or release pretty quickly.