Have you guys been following this Amherst house shooting?

bbb

Today, the News was finally able to get words from the shooter who could describe what happened (because now the civil suit was withdrawn.

I'm not a gun-owner, but I think the shooter/home-owner had every right to shoot. What do you guys think?:

Tells his story

The widow also finally released a statement:

I don't like the way she blames the shooter and not her husband at all (she is cute, though)

Today, the News was finally able to get words from the shooter who could describe what happened (because now the civil suit was withdrawn.

I'm not a gun-owner, but I think the shooter/home-owner had every right to shoot. What do you guys think?:

Tells his story

The widow also finally released a statement:

I don't like the way she blames the shooter and not her husband at all (she is cute, though)

Tragic accident, no doubt. Guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I get the widow's response, but she will have to accept reality her husband walked into the wrong house.

At the same time, I am not completely buying the shooter's story. I think he was scared shitless and reacted in a knee jerk fashion.

By painting the intruder as "acting strangely", he can justify the shooting when in reality the guy was probably walking around in a drunken stupor.

I get the widow's response, but she will have to accept reality her husband walked into the wrong house.

At the same time, I am not completely buying the shooter's story. I think he was scared shitless and reacted in a knee jerk fashion.

By painting the intruder as "acting strangely", he can justify the shooting when in reality the guy was probably walking around in a drunken stupor.

In Texas, if you're inside someone's house, you're dead meat - no questions asked.

It's a sad incident; they all sound like normal, reasonable people. I feel bad for his wife, but the fault lies the guy who got drunk and walked into the wrong house at 1 am.

A homeowner has no way of knowing the intentions of someone who has entered their home in the middle of the night and the vast majority of the time such a person is there with the intent to commit crimes. D'Amico had every right to protect himself and his pregnant wife.

And of course you would not be under those circumstances.

I was just going to reply the same thing. I'm pretty sure I would be. Man, somebody in your house is scary.

I really didn't like the tone or lack or responsibility by the wife, but I really didn't like this part:

Mr. D'Amico owns several guns, most of which were locked away. However, Mr. D'Amico stored one shotgun and ammunition in his bedroom; a calculated decision to prepare himself for this situation. I am confident that David would still be by my side if he walked into any other home on Millbrook Court that night.

So, it's wrong to be prepared for the situation of an intruder?

And, calculated makes it sound like he plotted for this drunk guy to come into the house.

She's confident that if we walked into any other home on Millbrook Court that night, he'd be still with her. I'm not so sure about that. Maybe if he didn't go into a house with a gun, maybe he'd still be alive. Maybe somebody would have just put him a lifelong coma with a baseball bat to the head.

I guess all that we know now is that the dead guy is going to be in the runnings for the Darwin Award. The widow, while pretty cute, sounds like a future Darwin Award winner too.

If some random person or neighbor came into my house at 1am stumbling around and I had a gun handy, he'd be dead, dead, dead too.

I have 2 pistols available in the bedroom. One on my side on on my wife's. Then again I live next to a felon that likes to beat up women. He shows up on my property and he's a chalk outline.

When I was about 19 I woke up in someones screen house, I thought I was at my house. An old man woke me up and said to get out of there, I had no idea where I was (it was in Amherst). I was harmless enough but not to coherent, glad he wasn't a gun happy butt head.

Edited by bowery4

I'm curious about how much, if any of the yelling can be heard on the 911 call. It seems like that would pretty much paint the full picture. Anyway, if the statement is true that the victim (not even sure if that is the right word here) had to climb a 6 foot fence to get in, I think that pretty much says it all. Wrong place at the incredibly wrong time, but completely justified.

Sad situation for everyone involved. It's hard to say how anyone would have reacted in a simliar situation. If the homeowner was so worried about safety why was the front door unlocked at night? I also wonder if he left enough lights on to ascertain whether the guy walking in had a gun or not.

I get it with drugs and the like you are never sure what someone might do. However, I would like to think that I could figure out if the guy was a real threat before just shooting him. I suppose that is an idealistic position but I would also not want to go through the balance of my life knowing that I killed a guy who was simply drunk and in the wrong place.

Sad situation for everyone involved. It's hard to say how anyone would have reacted in a simliar situation. If the homeowner was so worried about safety why was the front door unlocked at night? I also wonder if he left enough lights on to ascertain whether the guy walking in had a gun or not.

I get it with drugs and the like you are never sure what someone might do. However, I would like to think that I could figure out if the guy was a real threat before just shooting him. I suppose that is an idealistic position but I would also not want to go through the balance of my life knowing that I killed a guy who was simply drunk and in the wrong place.

Did you read the article?

It was the back door and it explained why it was unlocked.......I never heard that you are supposed to leave a bunch of lights on to see if intruders are holding guns. Also, you would know if you read the article that it was not a matter of lighting.

I'm curious about how much, if any of the yelling can be heard on the 911 call. It seems like that would pretty much paint the full picture. Anyway, if the statement is true that the victim (not even sure if that is the right word here) had to climb a 6 foot fence to get in, I think that pretty much says it all. Wrong place at the incredibly wrong time, but completely justified.

Now, this is the first thing, after following this case, and reading these two articles, that I have actually agreed with the shootee's wife......It does seem like something is being held back if they are not releasing the 911 tapes to her. You're right - that should tell most of the story, since the homeowner's wife was on the phone with them even through the shot.

What would you do in this case?

Columbus linky

I would ask him why he was naked, bloody and knocking on my door.....If his answers sounded plausible, I'd let him in and call authorities.

Quite a different situation than having somebody already in my house, and not knowing their intent. (Which most of the time is not good intent).

Did you read the article?

It was the back door and it explained why it was unlocked.......I never heard that you are supposed to leave a bunch of lights on to see if intruders are holding guns. Also, you would know if you read the article that it was not a matter of lighting.

Yes I read the article in the OP - what you are referring to was in a "related article" which I now just read. My point about the lights was not to say they had to be left on. I was simply trying to say that before shooting an unarmed person I would personally have hoped that I would have had the ability to better ascertain how much of a threat he really was. I said specifically in my other post it is hard to know how anyone would have reacted in the situation. I never faulted the shooter.

Now, this is the first thing, after following this case, and reading these two articles, that I have actually agreed with the shootee's wife......It does seem like something is being held back if they are not releasing the 911 tapes to her. You're right - that should tell most of the story, since the homeowner's wife was on the phone with them even through the shot.

Sadly, the bottom line is that the "intruder" was in the wrong house and the homeowner had the legal right to shoot him. This relates to my point above, I'd like to think in an ideal situation the homeowner could have done a better job of figuring how threatened he really was. The situation is simply bad for everyone involved.

I suppose that is an idealistic position but I would also not want to go through the balance of my life knowing that I killed a guy who was simply drunk and in the wrong place.

It would be harder for me to go through life knowing I had allowed harm to come to my family.

Yes I read the article in the OP - what you are referring to was in a "related article" which I now just read. My point about the lights was not to say they had to be left on. I was simply trying to say that before shooting an unarmed person I would personally have hoped that I would have had the ability to better ascertain how much of a threat he really was. I said specifically in my other post it is hard to know how anyone would have reacted in the situation. I never faulted the shooter.

Sadly, the bottom line is that the "intruder" was in the wrong house and the homeowner had the legal right to shoot him. This relates to my point above, I'd like to think in an ideal situation the homeowner could have done a better job of figuring how threatened he really was. The situation is simply bad for everyone involved.

I guess I misunderstood you on the first part.

I think that if the homeowner's story is the truth, then I don't see how anybody can fault him.....The 911 tapes would prove his story to be true, or it wouldn't, (or somewhere kind of murkily in between) so I'd really like to hear them.

Without them, I am definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt. You go into somebody else's house at 1AM, and bad things are bound to happen. I don't have a gun, but if I had a clear shot at somebody in my house, he'd have a baseball bat to the head.

I suppose that is an idealistic position but I would also not want to go through the balance of my life knowing that I killed a guy who was simply drunk and in the wrong place.

It would be harder for me to go through life knowing I had allowed harm to come to my family.

I could not agree more with both points.

I guess I misunderstood you on the first part.

I think that if the homeowner's story is the truth, then I don't see how anybody can fault him.....The 911 tapes would prove his story to be true, or it wouldn't, (or somewhere kind of murkily in between) so I'd really like to hear them.

I would also like to hear the 911 tapes. When I said I wasn't buying the shooter's story, I was trying to convey I don't believe the events happened the way the shooter states they did.

When I read his version, there seems to be a deliberate attempt to paint Park as being something more than a drunken idiot.

I would also like to hear the 911 tapes. When I said I wasn't buying the shooter's story, I was trying to convey I don't believe the events happened the way the shooter states they did.

When I read his version, there seems to be a deliberate attempt to paint Park as being something more than a drunken idiot.

Park was more than a drunken idiot. As far as the homeowner knew, Park was a threat to the homeowner and his family. Was he supposed to invite the guy in for coffee and a chat so he could first ascertain why the man was wondering around his home in the middle of the night?

I love how people assume that every person woken in the middle of the night by an intruder in their home should be expected to act like a trained SWAT team expert on a training course.

Park was more than a drunken idiot.

There's something incredibly weird about this. I saw his BAC was .18....I've never had a breathalyzer and haven't drank in many years, but when I was tearing it up, I am sure I was in the 2s many many times.....So, I just looked up BAC effects, and above 2 is when you start to not understand things. This is the range he was in. How he could be so messed up to go thru all the obstacles just to get into the house, then act so deranged in it (allegedly), you would think he'd be at some super crazy number or supplemented with other drugs or just plain be nuts.

Here is his level:

0.139–0.2

* Over-expression

* Emotional swings

* Angriness or sadness

* Boisterousness

* Super human feeling

* Decreased libido

* Reflexes

* Reaction time

* Gross motor control

* Staggering

* Slurred speech

I feel bad for the guy and believe the shooter should not be blamed. Yet, this is a classic example of needing to get to "know your neighbors a little better" and what is going on in your neighborhood. Heck, the neighbors on both sides of me even have a key to my house that they keep...

Call me anything you want... Even in this type of situation, I hope I wouldn't let irrational fear overtake me so as to prempt an intruder before they... Even in "my castle" with familia all around. Maybe that is stupid. Still the shooter WAS NOT wrong. He just made a bad judgement call. The cops were on the way, I would have tried my best to diffuse the situation to the vey last possible moment...

On that note and a little joking:

Heck, who wants birdshot all over your nice and immaculate suburban Amherst home? Even if my arm was chopped off I would still yell for someone to grab a red towel! ;) Same with fire extinguishers (not that I don't have them), totally out of the question unless it is a 3 alarmer! :doh:

Honestly? No. Both my neighbors have a key to my house and I would assume (maybe recklessly) that it was one of them.

Again... Maybe I am reckless... In this case, I wouldn't let the fear get the best of me since the cops were on the way.

Just think if Otis stumbled into the wrong jailhouse... Thought he was in Mayberry when in fact he was on a bender in Mt. Pilot. Now that would have been an easy way for the writers of The Andy Griffith Show to kill Otis off if they wanted to! ;)

There's something incredibly weird about this. I saw his BAC was .18....I've never had a breathalyzer and haven't drank in many years, but when I was tearing it up, I am sure I was in the 2s many many times.....So, I just looked up BAC effects, and above 2 is when you start to not understand things. This is the range he was in. How he could be so messed up to go thru all the obstacles just to get into the house, then act so deranged in it (allegedly), you would think he'd be at some super crazy number or supplemented with other drugs or just plain be nuts.

Here is his level:

0.139–0.2

* Over-expression

* Emotional swings

* Angriness or sadness

* Boisterousness

* Super human feeling

* Decreased libido

* Reflexes

* Reaction time

* Gross motor control

* Staggering

* Slurred speech

Not defending the dude... he was from Albany (make a joke if you want)... What I am saying is that being totally new to a place... Does that add to the confusion. Then again... Why the fence, the deck, back door?. Almost sounds like the dude was in a state of "drunken Alzheimer's."

Not to stereotyope some... Not nameing certain ethnic groups that can't hold their liqour... ;) ;)

It wasn't a neighbor.

I know. But I know what is going on at my neigbor's house(s) all the time... Heck, I would have been invited to the party.

Like I said... Maybe they live far apart from one another... Our houses on my street are not that close... But still the whole neigborhood would be awake from the ruckus even before the weapon discharged!

As mentioned, it was like he was in a state of Alzheimer's or something???

Drunken Alzheimer's seems to be the right term.....I know he's got the surname Park, but I don't think he looks Asian.

Such a sad story bbb... I feel for both sides. I don't fault the shooter one bit, that is how he handled it.

I have seen drunk people do some crazy things, you almost wonder what was possessing them!

Oh... bbb, It wasn't an Asian thing... I was talking about my Irish father-in-law more specifically! ;) ;)

On another note... What would the shooter have done if "drunk" was replaced with "Alzheimer's person."

:unsure: :unsure:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Honestly? No. Both my neighbors have a key to my house and I would assume (maybe recklessly) that it was one of them.

I'd imagine that if you thought it was one of your neighbors, you'd call them out by name. Then when you get no response, what next? It's easy to say what you would do in this situation, but it's another story all together for what you would do if you actually were put in that situation.

Here is his level:

0.139–0.2

* Over-expression

* Emotional swings

* Angriness or sadness

* Boisterousness

* Super human feeling

* Decreased libido

* Reflexes

* Reaction time

* Gross motor control

* Staggering

* Slurred speech

Yup, unless you are a serious alcoholic, you are hammered at .18

Which raises another question -- where were his wife and friends when this guy was staggering out of the house in a strange neighborhood, blind drunk in the middle of the night?

Which raises another question -- where were his wife and friends when this guy was staggering out of the house in a strange neighborhood, blind drunk in the middle of the night?

Very good point... I was wondering that too... Where the heck were the other people he was in town with?

Ducking to avoid the hail of bullets, probably...

He only discharged the weapon once... And it was birdshot.

:P

I have 2 pistols available in the bedroom. One on my side on on my wife's. Then again I live next to a felon that likes to beat up women. He shows up on my property and he's a chalk outline.

Underpowered. I keep a Ithaca 12 gage pump in arms reach. Drunk or not, anyone who busts into my house is going to to have some serious lead ingestion.