Players we should have drafted

Shoulda, woulda, coulda-dumb post. Hindsight is 20-20. Yes our FO has made so many mistakes over the past 12-15 years, but you could make a post about every team in the NFL with this subject.

I think his point had to do with the amount of duds we have drafted in the first round. Sure other organizations have missed from time to time but our success rate in Rd 1 is god awful. Aside from spiller, who I will cut some slack bc it hasn't been long enough to tell yet, the only guy still on the roster worth a crap drafted in Rd 1 is Eric Wood.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we could view it that way, but vince wilfork could have been the next Gerald warren and donte whitner could have been the next ed reed. I truly believe where a player starts his career makes a world of difference.

true but not in those cases, Wilfork was a,beast.

What about Losman and McCargo? You can add them to your list as well.

true, was just looking at the first pick.

Man o man T Master...that's what stuck in my craw as well! I was chanting "O R A P K O" before the pick! I was totally miffed when they picked Maybin. I'm still ticked! I don't think I'll get over it until Maybin gets his pink slip, which is inevitable. It's still hard to believe. The two players aren't even the same universe.

I wanted Robert Ayers, haven't heard much about him since but at least he starting for Denver.

I think I'm gonna start a thread entitled, "Women I should have nailed."

Sounds good but probably would get deleted, but Nicole Austin, Angelina, Selma Hayek, Kate Price, Megan Fox, Kim Kardashian, Brittney, Jessica, Christina Hendricks,etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71tH5WFQto&feature=related

If we had taken Brees in 2001, do you think he'd still be here with his horrendous start?

Do you think he would have developed at all given the revolving door coaching/coordinator situation we've had since thne?

maybe if we had gotten sean payton when he was available. he was contacted by buff as a HC interview.

although we would probably still have gregg had we hit on all those picks.

you can do this with everyteam in the league

Yup...

When the Jets drafted Ken O'Brien in 1983, they could've drafted Dan Marino

When they drafted Al Toon in 1985, they could've had Jerry Rice

When they drafted Blair Thomas in 1990, they could've drafted Emmitt Smith

We know, our drafts have been bad and the Bills dug themselves a big hole by drafting Mike Williams instead of Bryant McKinnie and the beat goes on.

Anyone remember the long time NFL GM Bobby Beathard? He had 7 teams he worked at compete in Super Bowls. Drafted several Hall of Famers (Art Monk, Darrell Green, etc.). He also drafted Ryan Leaf too, so it just proves the point that you can start this topic for just about any team in the league.

I am with you on Ngata and Orakpo, and so is every person on this board, including 99% of them prior to the draft and on draft day.

I don't agree with you on last year, and wouldn't trade Spiller for any of those guys.

The rest seems like cherry picking that you could do with a bunch of teams in each draft.

And NO I don't think Revis over Marshawn would have been the right decision at the time, and certainly taking Ed Reed #4 would have been a huge "reach" based on the knowledge we had then.

So I think your list should be players we "COULD" have drafted, not players we should have, unless you are going with the full knowledge of the future being assumed, in which case we should have just bought winning lottery tickets (since we know the numbers we should have bet now), and used the billions to create a New York Yankees like economic juggernaut in the NFL.

Um... Can we focus on the future? Just asking. Do you think any of these guys benefited from their coaching staff? Scrooge McRalph has been enjoying swimming in his money pit for so long that he finally has brought in some decent, cheap, but decent personal to get this thing moving. If you remember, Brees was run out of San Deigo after they drafted some guy name Rivers to replace him.

there were really obvious picks that should have been made at the time. The number one pick for Mike Williams was weird in that the consensus was that the best Offensive Tackle was Bryant McKinney, who has had a very good career. Erik Flowers and Aaron Maybin were headscratchers from day one. Others were gambles, but you had to give the benefit of the doubt to, Losman, McGahee with his injury, Whitner, Spiller. Others were pretty ok picks, Clements, Lynch,Evans and possibly McKelvin.

We have not been very good at drafting in the first round or two and that goes a long way toward where we are today. We have not been aggressive or smart in free agency either in keeping good players or getting quality players. We have not been very good at trading.

What consensus are you talking about? Both were highly thought of so much that both were invitd to NYC for the draft. No one complained about Williams at the time.

BTW why is it McKinnie is a good pick with no proBowls attended(got booted out of the lone controversial ProBowl selection he had) but Evans is a bad pick???

Um... Can we focus on the future? Just asking. Do you think any of these guys benefited from their coaching staff? Scrooge McRalph has been enjoying swimming in his money pit for so long that he finally has brought in some decent, cheap, but decent personal to get this thing moving. If you remember, Brees was run out of San Deigo after they drafted some guy name Rivers to replace him.

You mean the future where there is a lockout next year, RW dies soon, and 2010 was the last NFL football to be played in Buffalo...

I understand the coulda woulda shoulda argument...I mean why didn't the Portland Trailblazers draft Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie? Didn't they want to win 6 championships?

But in the Bills case it is not a good enough excuse. When your team has failed to make the playoffs for 11 straight years and counting and you have continually mis-evaluated players potential at the NFL level year in and year out you have problems with your scouting department/front office! I cannot believe how many people try to defend the Bills drafting over the years with a "Well it is what it is" "You never know how a guy is gonna turn out at the time you draft him" attitude. These guys are professionals and they are getting paid the big bucks to recruit players who can make this team successful. Its amazing to me that this front office has not been completely gutted by Ralph Wilson(then again who knows where his head is at this point). Do you think its just a coincidence that during our glory years when Bill Polian was here he happened to draft Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Darryl Talley, etc...do you guys think that was just luck or maybe just maybe do you think he actually knew how to do his job?

What consensus are you talking about? Both were highly thought of so much that both were invitd to NYC for the draft. No one complained about Williams at the time.

BTW why is it McKinnie is a good pick with no proBowls attended(got booted out of the lone controversial ProBowl selection he had) but Evans is a bad pick???

You mean the future where there is a lockout next year, RW dies soon, and 2010 was the last NFL football to be played in Buffalo...

Bryant McKinnie was considered by everyone except the Bills as the top tackle pick. McKinnie was a two-time All-American and the Outland Trophy winner vs. Williams, a one-time All American. I was scratching my head at the Williams pick instead of McKinnie. I, like every Bills fan, was hoping our front office would prove us wrong. They did not. McKinnie anchors arguably what had been the best line in the NFL for years. He has been a starter for ten years. How many starting left tackles have the Bills had in that time?

Why do I continue to torture myself by reading threads with this topic. We all know the definition of insanity right? Doing the same thing in the same way expecting a different outcome?

What's the point of this?

Oh, OK, I FINALLY get it . . . Our drafting has sucked for 10 years. Thanks for clue-ing us in.

And BTW, isn't it Haloti Ngata? Not Hilito Ngati, or Hiroshima Notme, or Hippy Nofee, or Happy Noshow.

Wait is n't that who drafted instead of Ngata? Happy Noshow?

:bag:

If we did draft McKinney instead of Mike Williams, we would be pissed that we spent a #4 pick on a player that played right tackle for years, before finally being able to switch over to the left. I don't recall him being voted into the pro-bowl the first few years.

We could have drafted Jerry Rice, Marc Bulger, Devin Hester, Jared Allen, Brian Westbrook, Kyle William (wait, we did draft Kyle Williams). So could have 31 other teams.