FA, not the Draft, I think will be this years fan killer

Virgil

I know that Nix said that you build through the draft. And I also don't believe that you build good teams by having players come and go off the team every few years.

However, I think there are a ton of players that are going to be available that are both fairly young and fill a direct need for the team. I'm concerned that we are going to have more of the same offseason approach and not spend any money. Yes, I also know that we have a lot of guys that we need to re-sign, but no one that's really going to demand a lot of money.

And yes, we don't know who is going to be re-signed by their own teams, but there will still be some good people out there to grab.

I'm leaving out the people expected to be re-signed

QB

Tyler Thigpen (Not that I think we need one, but I could see it happening with Gailey's history with him)

RB, FB, WR (Think we are good here)

TE (I see Zach Miller, Mercedes Lewis, Owen Daniels, Kevin Boss all being resigned)

Ben Patrick (ARZ)

Dante Rosario (CAR)

Jeff King (CAR)

Desmond Clark (CHI)

Reggie Kelly (CIN)

Alex Smith (CLE)

Leonard Pope (KC)

Joey Haynos (MIA)

David Thomas (NO)

Matt Spaeth (PIT)

Kris Wilson (SD)

Randy McMichael (SD)

Daniel Fells (STL)

John Gilmore (TB)

Bo Scaife (TEN)

Offensive Line

Jared Gaither (BAL)

Alex Barron (DAL)

Ryan Harris (DEN)

Corey Hilliard (DET)

Rashad Butler (HOU)

Charlie Johnson (IND)

Ryan O'Callaghan (KC)

Pat McQuistan (MIA)

Ryan Cook (MIN)

Zach Strief (NO)

Wayne Hunter (NYJ)

Khalif Barnes (OAK)

Langston Walker (OAK)

Mario Henderson (OAK)

Trai Essex (PIT)

Jonathan Scott (PIT)

Jeromey Clary (SD)

Barry Sims (SF)

Sean Locklear (SEA)

Adam Goldberg (STL)

John Greco (STL)

Jeremy Trueblood (TB)

Stephon Heyer (WAS)

Logan Mankins (NE)

Alan Faneca (ARZ)

Deuce Lutui (ARZ)

Lyle Sendlein (ARZ)

Justin Blalock (ATL)

Chris Chester (BAL)

Marshal Yanda (BAL)

Olin Kreutz (CHI)

Evan Mathis (CIN)

Kyle Cook (CIN)

Nate Livings (CIN)

Kyle Kosier (DAL)

Jason Spitz (GB)

Kasey Studdard (HOU)

Mike Brisiel (HOU)

Kyle DeVan (IND)

Mike Pollak (IND)

Rudy Niswanger (KC)

Casey Wiegmann (KC)

Richie Incognito (MIA)

Nate Garner (MIA)

Jonathan Goodwin (NO)

Kevin Boothe (NYG)

Samson Satele (OAK)

Reggie Wells (PHI)

Scott Mruczkowski (SD)

David Baas (SF)

Chris Spencer (SEA)

Leroy Harris (TEN)

Will Montgomery (WAS)

Defensive Ends (Not sure who is a 3-4 fit or if they could be considered as a Pass Rushing OLB)

Cullen Jenkins (GB)

Mathias Kiwanukan(NYG)

Ray Edwards (MIN)

Kenny Iwebema (ARZ)

Bryan Robinson (ARZ)

Jayme Mitchell (CLE)

Robaire Smith (CLE)

Stephen Bowen (DAL)

Jason Hatcher (DAL)

Marcus Spears (DAL)

Cliff Avril (DET)

Turk McBride (DET)

Mark Anderson (HOU)

Wallace Gilberry (KC)

Shaun Smith (KC)

Tony McDaniel (MIA)

Brian Robison (MIN)

Anthony Hargrove (NO)

Jimmy Wilkerson (NO)

Dave Tollefson (NYG)

Victor Abiamiri (PHI)

Nick Eason (PIT)

Chris Hoke (PIT)

Jacques Cesaire (SD)

Travis Johnson (SD)

Ray McDonald (SF)

CJ Ah You (STL)

Tim Crowder (TB)

Greg White (TB)

Dave Ball (TEN)

Kedric Golston (WAS)

Defensive Tackles

Brandon Mebane (SEA)

Shaun Ellis (NYJ)

Pat Williams (MIN)

Alan Branch (ARZ)

Gabe Watson (ARZ)

John McCargo (BUF)

Nick Hayden (CAR)

Anthony Adams (CHI)

Matt Toeaina (CHI)

Andre Fluellen (DET)

Shaun Cody (HOU)

Antonio Johnson (IND)

Daniel Muir (IND)

Eric Foster (IND)

Ron Edwards (KC)

Paul Soliai (MIA)

Fred Evans (MIN)

Gerard Warren (NE)

Remi Ayodele (NO)

Barry Coefield (NYG)

John Henderson (OAK)

Chris Hovan (STL)

Clifton Ryan (STL)

Linebackers

Tamba Hall (KC)

David Harris (NYJ)

Stephen Tulloch (TEN)

Stephen Nicholas (ATL)

Mike Peterson (ATL)

Tavares Gooden (BAL)

Keith Ellison (BUF)

Jamar Williams (CAR)

Pisa Tinoisamoa (CHI)

Nick Roach (CHI)

Dhani Jones (CIN)

Brandon Johnson (CIN)

D’Qwell Jackson (CLE)

Chris Gocong (CLE)

Matt Roth (CLE)

Jason Trusnik (CLE)

Landon Johnson (DET)

Zach Diles (HOU)

Kevin Bentley (HOU)

Clint Session (IND)

Justin Durant (JAC)

Kirk Morrison (JAC)

Mike Vrabel (KC)

Quentin Moses (MIA)

Ben Leber (MIN)

Erin Henderson (MIN)

Tracy White (NE)

Danny Clark (NO)

Scott Shanle (NO)

Chase Blackburn (NYG)

Keith Bulluck (NYG)

Thomas Howard (OAK)

Kamerion Wimbley (OAK)

Stewart Bradley (PHI)

Ernie Sims (PHI)

Omar Gaither (PHI)

Antwan Barnes (SD)

Kevin Burnett (SD)

Stephen Cooper (SD)

Brandon Siler (SD)

Travis LaBoy (SF)

Manny Lawson (SF)

Will Herring (SEA)

Leroy Hill (SEA)

Matt McCoy (SEA)

David Vobora (STL)

Quincy Black (TB)

David Thornton (TEN)

SS

Matt Ware (ARZ)

Haruki Nakamura (BAL)

Tom Zbikowski (BAL)

George Wilson (BUF)

Gerald Alexander (CAR)

Chinedum Ndukwe (CIN)

Gibril Wilson (CIN)

Danieal Manning (CHI)

Abram Elam (CLE)

Sabby Piscitelli (CLE)

Alan Ball (DAL)

Gerald Sensabaugh (DAL)

Charlie Peprah (GB)

Anthony Smith (GB)

Melvin Bullitt (IND)

Sean Considine (JAC)

Tyrell Johnson (MIN)

Husain Abdullah (MIN)

Brandon McGowan (NE)

Jarrad Page (NE)

Darren Sharper (NO)

Michael Johnson (NYG)

Deon Grant (NYG)

Brodney Pool (NYJ)

Eric Smith (NYJ)

Lawyer Milloy (SEA)

Reed Doughty (WAS)

Edited by Derek in Va

1.) Last year there were not many quality free agents because of the rules around FA in the "no cap year" you can't say that the Bills were cheap. There was Julian Peppers . . . and? The Bills Dwan Edwards was actually the #9 rated Free Agent in 2010.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35718728/ns/sports-nfl/

2.) The Reason why the FA list is so long is because no one can get an extension for more than 30% of the base "30% rule." There is no FA until after a new CBA and no one knows what the rules around RFA. (basically in 2010 free agency you had to be over 28 to be a unrestricted Free Agent.) Free Agency won't begin until the CBA is straightened out.

3.) You are right on. The Bills need to sign a TE, QB, and probably a RT through FA and draft defensive needs and O-Line depth.

Ryan Harris and Bo Scaife could be realistic options.

Edited by Why So Serious?

1.) Last year there were not many quality free agents because of the rules around FA in the "no cap year" you can't say that the Bills were cheap. There was Julian Peppers . . . and? The Bills Dwan Edwards was actually the #9 rated Free Agent in 2010.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35718728/ns/sports-nfl/

2.) The Reason why the FA list is so long is because no one can get an extension for more than 30% of the base "30% rule." There is no FA until after a new CBA and no one knows what the rules around RFA. (basically in 2010 free agency you had to be over 28 to be a unrestricted Free Agent.) Free Agency won't begin until the CBA is straightened out.

3.) You are right on. The Bills need to sign a TE, QB, and probably a RT through FA and draft defensive needs and O-Line depth.

agree, Rt and TE should be aquired through free agency. The draft should be focused on front seven. DE and Inside linebackers especially. I would say OLB but Moats looked good and you never know about Merriman, However Poz is vastly overrated and the other MLB is non existent. I have jumped on the Dareous bandwagon, I think him at DE while grabbing Matthews even in the second round and someone else later in the draft would upgrade the front seven.

I hope that's the strategy, though I prefer Marshal Yanda and Matt Spaeth. I think Thigpen makes sense as a #2 behind Fitz with Brohm on the outs.

I agree about last years FA's being lacking and overpaid, I'm just referring to our FA approach since Donahoe left.

For me, if we walked away with ILB David Harris, a solid TE, and atleast one capable starter on the offensive line, that would be amazing.

I would like to see Thigpen brought it and some depth at linebacker.

I would like to see the bills address any two positions wether it is rt, dt lb....whatever!! In doing that, it basicly gives us more options in the draft. AND NO BS!! We need to grab solid impact starters such as harris or soliai. I hope Nix is awake at the start of FA this time and really make some power moves.

I think you're going to be in for a very rude awakening if the CBA doesn't get signed before the season has to be shortened.

If they settle on September 1st and they say they're going to begin play in two weeks - FA might not happen at all this year.

A lot of players stand to lose a ton of cash if that happens - and it could.

I think you're going to be in for a very rude awakening if the CBA doesn't get signed before the season has to be shortened.

If they settle on September 1st and they say they're going to begin play in two weeks - FA might not happen at all this year.

A lot of players stand to lose a ton of cash if that happens - and it could.

I think that FA is going to be the largest negotiation piece this offseason. Think about all the guys who were pissed off because they became restricted FA's instead of unrestricted. Plus, think about all the guys who don't want to re-sign now because of the 30% rule.

Between the two of those things, I think you will see the owners with more leverage and the players wanting to get a deal done before March 16th so they can start getting paid. If they don't, that's all of the players looking for a contract being held at bay for 2 years. I just don't see them being okay with that.

agree, Rt and TE should be aquired through free agency. The draft should be focused on front seven. DE and Inside linebackers especially. I would say OLB but Moats looked good and you never know about Merriman, However Poz is vastly overrated and the other MLB is non existent. I have jumped on the Dareous bandwagon, I think him at DE while grabbing Matthews even in the second round and someone else later in the draft would upgrade the front seven.

No argument that the Bills need a RT and TE. However, if you assume the guys that the original poster said would

resign with their original team, then who is left? Not much as far as I can see. Maybe Bo Sciafe from Ten, but other

than him the crop looks real thin.

Maybe they can find a decent starting RT in FA. I hope so, because I'd love to be able to concentrate the draft

on defense.

Sweet, we can finally get CJ Ah You back.

Give langston walker another whirl as well : )

Thanks for listing all of those Derek. Makes it easy for us lazy folk.

Landing Scaife or Spaeth would be great work by the FO, i'm not holding my breath though.

I actually think that the front office can make some smart additions with mid level free agents. You can't fill starting roles effectively but you can get role players and add depth.

Here is a list of guys the Bills can actually get that would help them out.

1- Pat Williams (Not sure if the guy is open to a return or will retire but he still is a capable NFL DT and I think can play in the 3-4)

1.1- If we can't get Big Pat back we can add Ron Edwards from KC to add depth to the D-line.

2- Stephen Cooper (A guy who has played in the 3-4 forever in San Diego can backup Poz when he misses a few games and can teach younger players the system)

3- Marcus Spears (Can be an effective 3-4 DE cut Stroud, Spencer Johnson, and McCargo add Spears as a guy to rotate in)

4- Jermey Trueblood (Help depth at the tackle position)

5- Anthony Becht (Solid blocking tightend)

6- Mike Vrabel (Not sure if we could get him but a good insurance policy for Merriman and a good leader)

If we got 4 of those guys (Not big names, not going to require big money with the possible exception Pat Williams and Vrabel the Bills could easily get all of the others) that would add a lot of depth and make the roster much more complete.

I actually think that the front office can make some smart additions with mid level free agents. You can't fill starting roles effectively but you can get role players and add depth.

Here is a list of guys the Bills can actually get that would help them out.

1- Pat Williams (Not sure if the guy is open to a return or will retire but he still is a capable NFL DT and I think can play in the 3-4)

1.1- If we can't get Big Pat back we can add Ron Edwards from KC to add depth to the D-line.

2- Stephen Cooper (A guy who has played in the 3-4 forever in San Diego can backup Poz when he misses a few games and can teach younger players the system)

3- Marcus Spears (Can be an effective 3-4 DE cut Stroud, Spencer Johnson, and McCargo add Spears as a guy to rotate in)

4- Jermey Trueblood (Help depth at the tackle position)

5- Anthony Becht (Solid blocking tightend)

6- Mike Vrabel (Not sure if we could get him but a good insurance policy for Merriman and a good leader)

If we got 4 of those guys (Not big names, not going to require big money with the possible exception Pat Williams and Vrabel the Bills could easily get all of the others) that would add a lot of depth and make the roster much more complete.

Mike Vrabel as an insurance policy? Maybe seven years ago. As an insurance salesman, maybe. Pat ain't coming back and he may be finally on the down slide. I just can't see him sustaining a high level of play for much longer at that age.

Mike Vrabel as an insurance policy? Maybe seven years ago. As an insurance salesman, maybe. Pat ain't coming back and he may be finally on the down slide. I just can't see him sustaining a high level of play for much longer at that age.

Correct no more players born in the 70s time for players born in the 90s (puke) that only know the Bills as a laughing stock, doormat, minor league team in the NFL.

Who knows anymore what our F.O. is thinking. A member here recently remarked that last year we were all clamoring for the need to bring in a F.A. or high rookie LT and QB - and we did not change those personnel at all and now no one is really talking about replacing the LT or QB.

I think the point being made was that players can develop, and we don't know how our staff thinks about certain players' future. On the flip side, those players were playing for a new staff this year, under a new system, and one was coming off injury. Anyway, it is possible that we already have what our staff believes to be a starting O-line combination. Maybe they think Pears is the man at RT. We would mostly be screaming they're insane, but then next season, if it were true, the guy could very well play all season and do alright.

So, when I look at our roster and try to pin-point areas that definitely need upgrading, indisputably so, I'd have to say Linebacking corps, Tight Ends, and overall secondary (considering F.A. departures). I think the F.O. will bring in a F.A. Tight End - one who is potentially capable of staying on the field at all times - something Gailey admits is a real problem for us, since many of our TE personnel packages make us somewhat predictable.

Also, I see them bringing in a LB for the inside - and, probably a rather high end one, at that - someone to orchestrate the D. As for our secondary, I worry that Peterson will be the pick at #3. If not, then I'd guess they try to weather the year with McKelvin, McGee, and Corner, and see where they are after next season with that position.

My guess is we'll see at least 3 F.A.'s brought in. An upgrade at T.E., an upgrade at ILB, and (I hope) a RT - (we'd be so lucky if it were Clabo)

Free Agency will be a killer to fans because, after a new CBA, Buffalo will skip the top available players and goes after low to mid tier types. This after a 4-12 season in which they were horrid on defense and mediocre offensively.

Building exclusively through the draft with several low and 1-2 mid tier UFA's is not what fans want to hear right now. It's absurd to even think they'll sign 2-3 solid UFA's who'll start and play at a high level. The draft is a great event, but rookies typically take 2-3 years before they're ready whereas UFA's are recognizable commodities who fill holes that allow the team to go elsewhere in the draft.

What will be very interesting to see is when free agency begins. Normally being before the draft, it could make things interesting if it's held after late April.