Some entertaining, and slightly painful, reading from 1985

I was trying to do some research on Bruce Smith's rookie season and came across these hilarious nuggets. Wow, what a piece of work Coach Hank Bullough was! :lol:

9/7/86

Jim Kelly's first game for the Buffalo Bills...against the New York Jets, Coach Hank Bullough says he will wait till game time to decide will start at QB. But those 35,000 fans who bought tickets after Kelly signed did not shell out $15 to see Frank Reich.....Bullough says "Jim Kelly is not our savior! He is not going to step on that field and everything is going to change!"

12/23/85 Palm Beach Post....reading this quote I can understand why Smerlas hates the Bills so much. We dumped him right before we got good.

Fred Smerlas - "I'd like to go to a hypnotist to forget the whole year. It's been the most unenjoyable year of my whole life, and that's being kind!"

12/9/85 Pittsburgh Post - writer pencil-neck geek John Clayton

Hank Bullough - "That play took the sails right out of our wind."

Same as it ever was.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

what I remember about '85 through at least '87 was what Polian did for us in the draft. He got us 2 number 1s in '85 (Bruce, Derrick Burroughs) 2 number 1s in '86 (Will Wolford, Ronnie Harmon), and even though we had only 1 choice in the first round of the '87 draft (Conlan), through the Bennet trade we got another 1st rounder in here. Granted Harmon didn't play that long for us and Burroughs' career was cut short by injury, but 6 top picks in three years is a good start...just thank god Bill didn't have Modrak on that staff!

Man those were the days. Thats when being a Bills fan was enjoyable.

I was trying to do some research on Bruce Smith's rookie season and came across these hilarious nuggets. Wow, what a piece of work Coach Hank Bullough was! :lol:

9/7/86

12/23/85 Palm Beach Post....reading this quote I can understand why Smerlas hates the Bills so much. We dumped him right before we got good.

12/9/85 Pittsburgh Post - writer pencil-neck geek John Clayton

Same as it ever was.

PTR

I remember $15 tickets that was when the regular fan could afford to go to the games and you could even take a cooler in filled with your own beer.

Actually, I got tickets for the Pats/Bills game, day after Christmas, for $20 this year, through the UB Alumni association. Given the miserable game, it was a rip-off! But, that is not the norm...

I had season tickets from 1979-1988. IIRC, it was about $150 for 1 season ticket (10 gmaes), good, upper deck seats...also remember bringing our own coolers in, with booze (screw drivers- nasty stuff!)in the early 80's...good times...

Even with the poor record this year, those 84-85 seasons just felt so much more hopeless and painful. The bills just felt like they were never going to have a winning season. as a franchise goes, we were very fortunate to find another franchise QB in Jim Kelly so quickly after Joe Ferguson faded.

He was offsides too often.

Coming from you…ROFL!

It's an exaggeration but it does seem like he was good for at least one of those every game. Then after the official made the call, he would always get all huffy and puffy…as if somehow the officials had filagged the wrong guy yet again…like he was wrongly persecuted on a regular basis. It was actually kind of funny, if a bit maddening.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

9/7/86

"Bruce Smith may have more of an impact on this game than Jim Kelly, of whom Coach Hank Bullough says "Jim Kelly is not our savior. He's not going to step on that field and everything is going to change, everything's over, now we're going to start winning"

After reading that I had to look it up. In fact, Bullough was right about not winning, Bills managed to lose to the Jets 28-24.

Kelly had a strong game, 20-33 for 292 yds, 3 TD, no interceptions. Bills fumbled 3 times and lost it twice. (Is this sounding familiar?)

I'm not sure what impact Bruce had on the game.

But what a freakin' wet blanket of a coach! I much prefer Gailey