Anyone else not enthralled by the DLs after Fairley?

1billsfan

I've been watching a lot of the youtube highlight clips and I'm not coming away impressed by any of these guys like Bowers, Dareus, Quinn and on and on. Am I the only one finding this group a bunch of busts in waiting?

I'm starting to hope for a trade down for an extra second or more picks and take one of the top OTs, or just draft Green and try to outscore the Pats and Jets next year.

From what little I've seen, I've not been terribly impressed with Quinn or Bowers. I like Dareus but last I looked, there was VERY LITTLE video available on him.

So yes. I would agree with you.

edit: I wouldn't say busts, by the way. Just not guys I'd be comfortable drafting as the 3rd overall pick.

A few years ago, I really liked Tyson Jackson and Ziggy Hood. BUT I knew that they would take a few years to develop and didn't have the ceilings to become elite players.

That's kind of how I view this group, with the exception of Fairley who looks very close to Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy from last year.

I'm starting to agree with those who are saying that this is not a good year to be drafting at #3.

I've been watching a lot of the youtube highlight clips and I'm not coming away impressed by any of these guys like Bowers, Dareus, Quinn and on and on. Am I the only one finding this group a bunch of busts in waiting?

I'm starting to hope for a trade down for an extra second or more picks and take one of the top OTs, or just draft Green and try to outscore the Pats and Jets next year.

I could not agree more. When you watch POOR D-line play all season, these college linemen appear better than what they really are at first. But yeah, the shine has worn off for me and I am left with the same desire for best available player, regardless of which side of the ball that may be.

dareus is a beast.....#2 best player after Fairley.......Bowers is way overrated (weak), Quinn is better than Bowers. Stephen Paea is nothing special. Adrian Clayborn (iowa) is 3rd best lineman in draft ,better than Bowers:

youtube.com/watch?v=kNpMdwtbLv0

That's the weird thing, Bowers is ranked everywhere as a top pick. Yet, Clayborn who's ranked in the middle of the round clearly looks like the much better than him in these videos. What the heck is up with that?

Bowers, looks like Tarzan...plays like Jane.

Marcell Dareus - 6'4, 300, quick, strong and runs a 4.5 40. The real deal.

Where's the video on him? All I see are a hundred videos of his interception TD in that championship game from a year ago.

Bowers strength and techinque are awesome. I have no worries about him at all. I actualyl see him as a 34 end because he does seem to lack top end speed/quickness. Dareus I do like but his ability to get locked up with the blocker does scare me. Clayborne has been great for a while but I thought his conditioning was terrible this year and took a lot of plays off. THAT really scares me bc whats stopping him from cashing in and shutting down once he hits the NFL. Quinn I like a lot and I think could have dominated if he ahd played but who knows. I dont like going off of workouts only.

We should get one of these studs regardless though so hopefully doesnt mess up like the Bills have for over 10 years in the 1st round.

Bowers strength and techinque are awesome. I have no worries about him at all. I actualyl see him as a 34 end because he does seem to lack top end speed/quickness. Dareus I do like but his ability to get locked up with the blocker does scare me. Clayborne has been great for a while but I thought his conditioning was terrible this year and took a lot of plays off. THAT really scares me bc whats stopping him from cashing in and shutting down once he hits the NFL. Quinn I like a lot and I think could have dominated if he ahd played but who knows. I dont like going off of workouts only.

We should get one of these studs regardless though so hopefully doesnt mess up like the Bills have for over 10 years in the 1st round.

Please find a link to a video where Bowers looks awesome.

Marcel Dareus IMO will make a better pro than Fairley and we have more of a need at End than Tackle anyhow.

That's the weird thing, Bowers is ranked everywhere as a top pick. Yet, Clayborn who's ranked in the middle of the round clearly looks like the much better than him in these videos. What the heck is up with that?

Bowers, looks like Tarzan...plays like Jane.

Where's the video on him? All I see are a hundred videos of his interception TD in that championship game from a year ago.

Fortunately, NFL scouts don't rely on 2 minute Youtube highlight clips for all of their information.

Bowers is definitely not weak. He doesn't quite have the quickness of a truly dynamic pass rusher, but at 280 lbs he is supposed

to be an outstanding run defender with good (not great) pass rush ability.

I do agree that it would be great if they could trade down 5-10 spots and pick up an extra 2nd round pick, but that is going to

be tough to do. You'd have to find a team that really is desperate to move up to 3 for someone. Who that player might be, I

don't know - perhaps AJ Green, *maybe* one of the QBs (but I don't think that is likely). If they could trade down, they'd

still have a shot at tough run-stopping DEs like Adrian Clayborn, Heyward and I think the kid from Cal is rated pretty highly too.

I don't think that there is a true HUGE NT available in round 1, but there is one currently thought of as a late 1/early 2 kinda

player (think it's Powe).

I like Dareus a lot also. He is still really raw but the guy is a beast. Fairley or Dareus and I'm happy, I don't want to draft any of the rest at #3, although out of the bunch I'd be the least upset with Quinn. Who knows what will happen after the combine, you never know. Lets say one of the teams picking behind Arz falls in love with Gabbert, Newton or Mallet but is worried Arz might take him....there could be your potential trading partner. Just a thought. Oh and I know I'm a homer but I like Aldon Smith better than both Bowers and Claybourne.

Yep, and that is why we might as well gamble and pick a QB. Or ideally. trade down before we take one of those fat bums (DLs named Bowers or Quinn or Dareus). What a year to finish with the 3rd pick.

Stop watching highlights and watch the games. Dareus is a STUD. A DL can affect the games in more ways than just getting sacks or TL. Look at

Kyle Williams eat up blockers or disrupt plays. Bowers is good on the pass rush. Not as impressed in the run game although he has the potential to

do that well consistently. Quinn was out for the year so I can't speak to what type of shape he will be in come combine time.

From what little I've seen, I've not been terribly impressed with Quinn or Bowers. I like Dareus but last I looked, there was VERY LITTLE video available on him.

So yes. I would agree with you.

edit: I wouldn't say busts, by the way. Just not guys I'd be comfortable drafting as the 3rd overall pick.

A few years ago, I really liked Tyson Jackson and Ziggy Hood. BUT I knew that they would take a few years to develop and didn't have the ceilings to become elite players.

That's kind of how I view this group, with the exception of Fairley who looks very close to Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy from last year.

I'm starting to agree with those who are saying that this is not a good year to be drafting at #3.

I agree. However I have watched atleast 6 Alabama games and probably atleast parts of another 6 over the last 2 years and Marcell Dareaus usually makes atleast 1 outstanding play atleast 1 time per game. I think the kid is special.

Bowers and Quinn scare me, I'd be happy with Marcell Dareaus at #3 or a trade down to take Mallet or Cam.

dareus is a beast.....#2 best player after Fairley.......Bowers is way overrated (weak), Quinn is better than Bowers. Stephen Paea is nothing special. Adrian Clayborn (iowa) is 3rd best lineman in draft ,better than Bowers:

Agree, but I'm scared taking Quinn, that has played as much football as I have since September at #3.

The Problem with Clayborn is the 4 or 5 games that I've seen of him he is gassed all the time. He is not an "everydown lineman" if that even exists anymore. He would definitely need to be platooned in and out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just worrisome at #3.

Camron Heyward will be a good NFL player for many years. Probably not a blue-chip game changer on D but will definitely be a force to be game planned for if there is a team around him.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Tough to tell from just a few youtube clips.

He's certainly disruptive and has a good motor - I did see some problems with him finishing tackles. He has shorter arms and seems to struggle wrapping up, but looks like a nightmare to block. Sheds linemen well, must be pretty strong because he regularly appears to be able to create space for himself. Although perhaps not worthy of a #3 overall I do not see a player who really is and I would be suprised if he dropped to the lower end of the 1st round.