#5t- Fisher

#5t- Smith

UPDATED POWER RANKINGS NFL HEAD COACHES (APR 5th):

1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

3. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles

4. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers

5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27641/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-head-coaches

Mike Smith...

Actually I hate to say this, and don't like the guy, but Rex Ryan has done a nice job with the jets.

Pete Carrol has had a very good first year.

John Harbaugh is looking good

Sean Payton is pretty darn good

There seems to be a logjam after Bill Belichik.

A bad division makes 7-9 look real nice huh?

I gotta say Mike Mcarthy is the 2nd best coach. The amount of injuries they had last year, dealing with Brett Favre and deveolping Rodgers hes done a great job IMO

Honorable mention to Mike Smith in Hotlanta and Ken Wisnehunt in Arizona. That team is damn good if they just had anything close to a QB last year

I like Tom Coughlin as a top 5 guy. I'd give Tomlin the #2 nod. The Big Ben controversy/suspension; injuries, etc. He kept the team winning.

Coughlin????? Wow, didnt think Id see this. Dont his players usually hate him? Not that he isnt a good coach, its probably because he's a harda$$, but I dont want my guys to HATE the coach. Cowher was pretty strict but I doubt many players ever would say they didnt like him.

#1- Belichick

#2- Reid

#3- Tomlin

#4- Peyton

#5- Coughlin

Reid can't be in the top 3. Too many big game losses, gotta point to the coach.

McCarthy has to be #2 given all the injuries he dealt with.

Even if he doesn't win a SB, Reid will have HOF worthy numbers as a head coach when it's all said and done. McCarthy won the super bowl this past year, but I wouldn't just go ahead and put him ahead of Reid. IMHO.

#1- Belichick

#2- Reid

#3- Tomlin

#4- Peyton

#5- Coughlin

Even if he doesn't win a SB, Reid will have HOF worthy numbers as a head coach when it's all said and done. McCarthy won the super bowl this past year, but I wouldn't just go ahead and put him ahead of Reid. IMHO.

I dunno about coughlin but roughly...

McCarthy has a chance to be on that cusp.

Dont like mike smith - pull the Clements fumble and the Hartley missed chip shot and the falcons were only a wild card team. Doesn't have the track record to ignore this.

Rex needs more time- can his loudmouth strategy actually work long-term?

1- belichek, easy

2- tomlin - anyone argue?

3- Payton... SB win, built a team from scratch, distractions galore in the city- 2 NFC championship games in a couple years. Needs to do better with balanced consistent game plans.

4-Reid - can't win the big game? We only know this cause he coaches his teams into the big games EVERY year. He does something right.

5- I could see coughlin. He's had a couple down years but several good years. Of the Rex/smith/McCarthy.... Which will keep winning, which will trail off... I'm not sure but TC is probably right in the middle of that group.

Well, people are talking about them now. Not very positively, though.

Never won a playoff game, and VERY lucky this year... Above average but not elite.

The Hartley 29 yard miss?

The Clements pickoff and fumble?

The no call on that PI to win the ravens game?

Still good but... Not among the best.

I dunno about coughlin but roughly...

McCarthy has a chance to be on that cusp.

Dont like mike smith - pull the Clements fumble and the Hartley missed chip shot and the falcons were only a wild card team. Doesn't have the track record to ignore this.

Rex needs more time- can his loudmouth strategy actually work long-term?

1- belichek, easy

2- tomlin - anyone argue?

3- Payton... SB win, built a team from scratch, distractions galore in the city- 2 NFC championship games in a couple years. Needs to do better with balanced consistent game plans.

4-Reid - can't win the big game? We only know this cause he coaches his teams into the big games EVERY year. He does something right.

5- I could see coughlin. He's had a couple down years but several good years. Of the Rex/smith/McCarthy.... Which will keep winning, which will trail off... I'm not sure but TC is probably right in the middle of that group.

Never won a playoff game, and VERY lucky this year... Above average but not elite.

The Hartley 29 yard miss?

The Clements pickoff and fumble?

The no call on that PI to win the ravens game?

Still good but... Not among the best.

Good post. I think right now you'd have to put coughlin ahead of rex/smith/mccarthy..of course, 10 yrs from now, who knows. Coughlin took the expansion Jaguars to the AFC championship game twice i think, and won the SB w/the Giants and has over 130 wins...imo, he's definitely within top 5 currently

Edited by bobobonators

Good post. I think right now you'd have to put coughlin ahead of rex/smith/mccarthy..of course, 10 yrs from now, who knows. Coughlin took the expansion Jaguars to the AFC championship game twice i think, and won the SB w/the Giants and has over 130 wins...imo, he's definitely within top 5 currently

I think a lot of people see a couple down years and forgot all the really good years that earned him the chance to weather the storms. Just cause some of the young guns haven't had their trouble yet, doesn't mean they won't. I'll guess one of them will be better than coughlin in the long run but who knows right now.

Pretty much everyone would agree that Bill Belichick is the best coach in football. But who's #2?

Seems like there's a lack of quality HCs and a gulf between Belichick and the rest. But I'd nominate Ravens HC John Harbaugh. He inherited a team with a bad record. Some stars on defense, yes, but virtually no offense. They drafted wisely with Flacco, Ngata and Rice. And made good FA moves like acquiring Boldin. And they can win now with offense too.

Mike McCarthy in Green Bay I'd rate 3rd for the job they've done drafting and dealing with key injuries this season.

Rexy is doing a great job motivating that injured crew, if kept the we hate the world rhetoric against Pittsburg they would have gone to the superbowl. Next year he learn from this and make it to the big show.