Good read on Gabbert and Mallet

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-3/2011/cover-2-qbs-2011-draft-part-2

Good stuff. I agree with the Mallet/Bledsoe comparisons and I continue to believe that the days of the statue-esque, seven-step drop pocket passers are over. And it certainly isn't the offense that Chan is trying to run. Gabbert, on the other hand, intrigues me...

Good stuff. I agree with the Mallet/Bledsoe comparisons and I continue to believe that the days of the statue-esque, seven-step drop pocket passers are over. And it certainly isn't the offense that Chan is trying to run. Gabbert, on the other hand, intrigues me...

everything is cycles.... its over until we get some hs and college coaches that see a huge arm and pocket passing as the new trend instead of the spread option.

everything is cycles.... its over until we get some hs and college coaches that see a huge arm and pocket passing as the new trend instead of the spread option.

I disagree - the speed of the game has increased so much (because of conditioning, popularity, etc.) that the defense will always have an advantage against QBs who can't move. Coupled with expansion, which means less quality offensive linemen. If you have an immobile QB, you are always one o-line injury away from total chaos. I don't see these things changing.

There's a middle ground between statue QBs and running QBs that many great dropback passers occupy - Brady and Manning especially. They won't spring for 12 yards, but they have a great ability to feel pressure and take the step forward or to the side in the pocket that buys them just enough time to make a throw. Bledsoe never had that ability. I don't know if it's in the legs or in the brains, but I think it's necessary to any QB who we draft.

how mobile do you think brady and manning are? im not saying either are gonna be that guy but its not like either are setting the world a blaze with their running.

Over 70% of brady*s passes are less than 10 yard. He gets the ball out quickly.

Both Manning & brady* also have the ability to slide in the pocket. Mallett hasn't shown that ability from what I've seen.

I still like Mallet. Don't know much about Gabbert but it is a good write-up.

Both Manning & brady* also have the ability to slide in the pocket. Mallett hasn't shown that ability from what I've seen.

If thats all hes missing, then he can learn to do it. Point is hes just a kid and he already makes throws that most pro quarterbacks can't. Not saying he is necessarily what the Bills and Gailey need, but hes one of the top prospect at the position and if he turns into the next Joe Flacco thats really not so bad.

having pocket presence and being a mobile qb are 2 different things. i like mallet but he has close to zero mobility. if he can learn to manipulate the pocket better he could be pretty damm good. id still rather have a beast DL with the 3rd pick

There's a middle ground between statue QBs and running QBs that many great dropback passers occupy - Brady and Manning especially. They won't spring for 12 yards, but they have a great ability to feel pressure and take the step forward or to the side in the pocket that buys them just enough time to make a throw. Bledsoe never had that ability. I don't know if it's in the legs or in the brains, but I think it's necessary to any QB who we draft.

Bledsoe had that ability until he got his bell rung on that sideline hit, then in comes Brady and we get the Drew has-been leftovers.

how mobile do you think brady and manning are? im not saying either are gonna be that guy but its not like either are setting the world a blaze with their running.

Exactly...I'm not sure about Mallett either...But he's a freaking gazelle compared to Brady...He's certainly no less mobile than Joe Flacco..This constant bashing of him due to his mobility is a complete joke...If he can read Defenses and find the open man he'll be just fine...If not...next... B-)

If thats all hes missing, then he can learn to do it. Point is hes just a kid and he already makes throws that most pro quarterbacks can't. Not saying he is necessarily what the Bills and Gailey need, but hes one of the top prospect at the position and if he turns into the next Joe Flacco thats really not so bad.

I am not sure you can learn to feel pressure and move in the pocket. I think it is part of the "talent" package jst like a strong arm or speed. You either have a strong arm or you don't, I think it is the same for pocket presence. We have had the pleasure of seeing 2 QBs recently that can not feel pressure and that is frustrating.

What I saw from Gabbert that I liked was a quick release and fast decisions. With that said i also don't think I want him at #3 that is a reach for a guy that will sit for at least a year.

Jake Locker looks interesting, especially if he falls to the second round. It seems like he could really benefit from learning behind Fitz for a year or so, and practicing with NFL-quality (well, Bills-quality) offensive talent.

Here is the link to Part I which covered Andrew Luck who has decided to stay in school and Jake Locker.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/college-relevant/2011/cover-2-qbs-2011-draft-part-i

My problem with Bledsoe was with the cerebral part of the game, which today is so important. Fitz makes our O line look much better than it is because of it. Brohm lacks the experience and knowledge that Fitz has and he got rocked. I'm not a fan of running QB's as I think they miss to many opportunities when they run. As you said the smart ones anticipate where the pressure is coming from and when, and make adjustments. That being said, I will be shocked if we take a QB at #3, mostly because it will be a monumental reach. The pundits all say you have to take a QB when you're drafting that high as it may be the last chance to do so. I say ask the Raiders or the 49'ers what "they" think about that.

Bledsoe had that ability until he got his bell rung on that sideline hit, then in comes Brady and we get the Drew has-been leftovers.

I disagree. Bledsoe never had that ability. If you watched him through out his career his game ebbed and flowed, depending on his protection. If he had all day to survey the field he was lights out. On the other hand if you could get in his face, he crumbled like a house of cards. Quick decision making was never his forte.

Edited by Tarkus II

Seems short passes are a problem with Gabbert also. Locking on to one receiver is a bigger concern to me than his footwork or not taking any snaps under center.

Good write-up here: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-all-the-Blaine-Gabbert-hype.html