Von Miller's potential in the NFL

1billsfan

I don't think I see what this proves. You could produce the exact same low-light reel for Hall of Famer Bruce Smith. I am NOT comparing

Miller to Bruce Smith in any way shape or form, just saying that one of the 2 or 3 best pass rushers ever (Smith) had LOTS of plays that

looked exactly like that.

Watch the tapes Super Bowl 25 and you will see many plays were Bruce Smith broke containment on the edge and gave up huge running plays on his end. He made the big play for the safety and then seemed to lose his focus on containment after that. The first job of a defensive end is to box in the run.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the tapes Super Bowl 25 and you will see many plays were Bruce Smith broke containment on the edge and gave up huge running plays on his end. He made the big play for the safety and then seemed to lose his focus on containment after that. The first job of a defensive end is to box in the run.

Maybe he could just punch himself between the legs and skip the video?

He looks exactly like Maybin 2.0

youtube.com/watch?v=fb2aOEK4X-k&feature=related

I tried to find a video of Maybin's Penn St highlights but Im not sure if one exists! :lol:

:oops: Although I agree with some of the other posters that you can create a negative video about any player if you want ... Miller to me is a player who looks for the highlight reel play and goes out and makes it but then he just sits back and waits to look good again ...

Definitely not someone I want on the Bills.

I don't think I see what this proves. You could produce the exact same low-light reel for Hall of Famer Bruce Smith. I am NOT comparing

Miller to Bruce Smith in any way shape or form, just saying that one of the 2 or 3 best pass rushers ever (Smith) had LOTS of plays that

looked exactly like that.

:oops: Although I agree with some of the other posters that you can create a negative video about any player if you want ... Miller to me is a player who looks for the highlight reel play and goes out and makes it but then he just sits back and waits to look good again ...

Definitely not someone I want on the Bills.

I didnt go out and make low-light video of the guy, this is a video a big fan of Von Miller made. What I am saying is these ARE his highlights. If these are his BEST PLAYS - he must be terrible!!

I didnt go out and make low-light video of the guy, this is a video a big fan of Von Miller made. What I am saying is these ARE his highlights. If these are his BEST PLAYS - he must be terrible!!

It's all the same game. Doesn't look like someone made a highlight or lowlight video, just picked the plays of one game and showed them all. Based on the video, he appears to be a one trick pony and easily contained, but one game doesn't tell the whole story on any player and I haven't seen enough of him to know one way or the other.

Looks like the person that made this video has an axe to grind with A&M players. Von Miller's highlight film is against Oklahoma, and he actually did make plays against Texas which are not shown here. He's still not someone I'd pick in the top 10.

Yep, put me on record as not wanting this guy (even before I saw the video).

With Merriman signed and Moats / Coleman showing a lot of promise, OLB is not my biggest concern, though obviously any pick along the front 7 would help.

But we can't spend the #3 pick on that position, IMO. Has to be DE, DT, or BPA like Peterson / Green. I still like Dareus, although I was shocked to see the Sporting News guys don't have him going until the 2nd round in their mock draft. I actually have Dareus rated higher than Fairley, simply based on his consistency and doing the same thing for longer for a similar big time defense. It appears he is for certain going to be available to us at #3.

He's on the list because he's the best pash rushing OLB in the draft. The kid can fly to the ball and he can stick the QB and RB. Plays much bigger than he looks.

IMO he is a situational player right now because he still is too small to be an everydown NFL player and seems to use the same swim/speed move. Not worth the #3 pick, but has a ton of potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Miller is a marginally more talented Maybin at this point. I watched 3 of his games this year and wasnt blown away in any of them. Certainly not enough to warrant drafting him at #3. Honestly, Cam Newton has shown more and is more ready for the NFL than Miller, and Newton will be a project himself.

WRT bold, I was thinking the same thing yesterday, in the wake of Fairley moving up the boards and probably going #1. I was scared about possibly getting the 3rd best DL and that he'd bust. While that is always a possibility no matter what the pick position, I went back and looked over the drafts going as far back as 2000 and saw that there are a LOT of 3rd, 4th, even 5th DLs off the board that have contributed greatly to their teams.

I'm personally not a Bowers fan and think both Fairley and Dareus are better prospects. But I feel better about taking any of them, and having the contribute.

I am with you on all points bro. Another thing about DTs is that even when a player does not set the world on fire at the college level, there are many that develop over the course of 3 to 5 years into solid players. It is a position that requires a great deal of physical maturity to excel at. Kyle Williams to me is the perfect example of a player that developed gradually and became physically denser and stronger over time.

I can't help but laugh at the negative comments on this guy. After Maybin, everyone around here is seriously gun shy. This kid is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better than Maybin. When ever anyone mentions OLB for a draft prospect, everyone around here cringes. That doesn't mean we don't still need one.

I can't help but laugh at the negative comments on this guy. After Maybin, everyone around here is seriously gun shy. This kid is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better than Maybin. When ever anyone mentions OLB for a draft prospect, everyone around here cringes. That doesn't mean we don't still need one.

You got it all wrong, Im not gun shy on Miller because Maybin sucks, Im gun shy on Miller because MILLER sucks. They draw comparisons because they suck for many of the same reasons.

Maybin looks like James Harrison next to Von Miller. He may be a decent free safety ... fifth round.

Miller is not that small. I don't know where this line of thinking comes from. He is 6'2"+ and 237 as

weighed at the Senior Bowl. Poz really isn't any heavier than that and he is playing inside. I am not

saying Miller is or is not a great prospect, but he certainly isn't too undersized to consider to play

OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense in the NFL.

Beyond that, I really don't see the comparison to Maybin at all. Miller has produced at a high level

in a very good conference for 2 years. Maybin had one good year at Penn State and wasn't even

slated to be a starter at Penn State heading into that season. He "won" that starting job when the

player ahead of him was suspended for drug use.

Even further, Maybin had not played any LB in college and Miller has played there for at least 2 full

seasons that I am aware of. Miller has shown that he has LB skills whereas Maybin did not.

I have no issue if you want to find fault with Miller as a prospect, but I'd like to see more than

"he is Maybin 2.0" because some people consider him a tad undersized.

Miller is not that small. I don't know where this line of thinking comes from. He is 6'2"+ and 237 as

weighed at the Senior Bowl. Poz really isn't any heavier than that and he is playing inside. I am not

saying Miller is or is not a great prospect, but he certainly isn't too undersized to consider to play

OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense in the NFL.

Beyond that, I really don't see the comparison to Maybin at all. Miller has produced at a high level

in a very good conference for 2 years. Maybin had one good year at Penn State and wasn't even

slated to be a starter at Penn State heading into that season. He "won" that starting job when the

player ahead of him was suspended for drug use.

Even further, Maybin had not played any LB in college and Miller has played there for at least 2 full

seasons that I am aware of. Miller has shown that he has LB skills whereas Maybin did not.

I have no issue if you want to find fault with Miller as a prospect, but I'd like to see more than

"he is Maybin 2.0" because some people consider him a tad undersized.

You want proof of Maybin 2.0? Here you go... One trick pony that cant play against the run. Same exact playing style as Maybin. He's slender and light and has a "quick first step" and that's about it.

You say you dont see the comparisons. I say I dont see any differences other than Miller was a 4 year starter. And Miller is LESS than a year younger than Maybin, so we basically already drafted Miller just after his freshman year.

Even if you still dont see the Maybin similarities, after watching that clip from the Nebraska game, how can anyone say that is what our Run Defense needs?

Edited by DrDankenstein