If the Bills drafted so bad....

RkFast

Even MaGahee was an awful draft selection. People forget that he had to sit out more than a full season before he could even take the field. This team was far too weak to make a luxury selection, but this is their history, and it continued with Spiller.

Edited by Bill from NYC

How do I know this team's drafted badly? Answer: rookie contributions. I watched 4 playoff games that had rookies contribute. Our rookies can't even contribute in the regular season. For some reason this team's incapable of drafting nfl-ready players.

This is a great point that many of the "give it some time" crowd ignore, for their convenience.

How cna such a bad team, with so many weankesses draft so few guys who can start as rookies. Last year's draft has one legit starter--Moats. Mcuh better teams have more rookies starting than we do.

Let's draft for D!!--yet we have been doing that: McCargo, Maybin, McKelvin, Whitner, Troup, Poz--these are all first or second round picks (fairly recent ones) made to imporove the defense. The defense is horrible.

How do I know this team's drafted badly? Answer: rookie contributions. I watched 4 playoff games that had rookies contribute. Our rookies can't even contribute in the regular season. For some reason this team's incapable of drafting nfl-ready players.

While the Bills have certainly had their share of issues with guys like Maybin, McCargo and the like and the top draft picks this year (Spiller, Troup, and Carrington) did little, I would say that several rookies did make a meaningful contribution this year: D Nelson, D Jones, and A Moats to name only three. Time will tell, but I actually have high hopes for both 2009 and 2010 draft classes (minus, of course, the Maybin fiasco).

I can only dream of where the Bills would be now if they didn't waste picks on plays like Trent Edwards, Maybin, McCargo and even the revolving door at RB. If we had addressed the lines, both Off & Def, and LBs. We would be in the playoffs already. Our scouting dept. is either totally clueless or someone is making desicions without listening to them.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is draft a player, but they can't play. Examples: Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, James Hardy.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is draft a player, they can play, but they either 1) coach them poorly 2) can't figure out how to use them or 3) don't wanna pay them big money, and let them go, at which point they go on to success with other teams. Examples: Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Nate Clements, Antonie Winfield.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is develop free agent signings, but when they become successful, don't wanna pay them big money, and let them go. Examples: Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, Jason Peters.

1% of what the Bills do is right.

Sad but extremely accurate

But but... they need time!

While the Bills have certainly had their share of issues with guys like Maybin, McCargo and the like and the top draft picks this year (Spiller, Troup, and Carrington) did little, I would say that several rookies did make a meaningful contribution this year: D Nelson, D Jones, and A Moats to name only three. Time will tell, but I actually have high hopes for both 2009 and 2010 draft classes (minus, of course, the Maybin fiasco).

Your post further illustrates how the Bills can't draft. You are correct in that Nelson, Jones and Moats were probably the best three rookies, and only one of them was drafted, the others were undrafted FAs. So Moats came on over the last 5 or 6 games, the jury is still somewhat out on him, and sadly that is the best that the 2009 draft has given to the Buffalo Bills.

You left out Joique Bell who is backing up Lynch in Seattle.

I know he as been in Philly and New Orleans since the Bills dumped him, but I wasn't aware he was ever in Seattle.

Your post further illustrates how the Bills can't draft. You are correct in that Nelson, Jones and Moats were probably the best three rookies, and only one of them was drafted, the others were undrafted FAs. So Moats came on over the last 5 or 6 games, the jury is still somewhat out on him, and sadly that is the best that the 2009 draft has given to the Buffalo Bills.

I know he as been in Philly and New Orleans since the Bills dumped him, but I wasn't aware he was ever in Seattle.

Oops! He's with the Saints. Don't know why I thought he was in Seattle.

lose pat williams...try to draft mccargo

draft mcgahee when we have henry and then trade willis and draft lynch then draft spiller when you have freddy and lynch and trade lynch

draft mckelvin when you have greer and mcgee

pat williams could have been signed, so could greer. this is why i could see us losing poz and whitner then draft peterson and some lb in the 2nd round and our defense stays about the same next year. poz and whitner aren't elite but they are decent players and should be extended so we can build on this defense.

Like a mouse spinning in a wheel and getting nowhere, that's how things roll at OBD.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is draft a player, but they can't play. Examples: Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, James Hardy.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is draft a player, they can play, but they either 1) coach them poorly 2) can't figure out how to use them or 3) don't wanna pay them big money, and let them go, at which point they go on to success with other teams. Examples: Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Nate Clements, Antonie Winfield.

33% of what the Bills do wrong is develop free agent signings, but when they become successful, don't wanna pay them big money, and let them go. Examples: Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, Jason Peters.

1% of what the Bills do is right.

I'd make this my signature if it wasn't so damn depressing.

Some of you have argued in a circle:

For example, you can't say the team mostly drafts poorly, and, mostly let's good drafted talent get away, at the same time.

Pick one or the other. There has to be good drafted talent for it to get away. There can't be, if we mostly draft poorly. Even if we could do both at the same time, the constant turnover in coaches/scheme means that the people we have are almost certainly going to get their value reduced.

Anybody remember Spikes/Fletcher/Posey and one of the best D's in the league? What happened? Scheme change, end of story.

And, I still have no problem with the Spiller pick. The fact is that when you are drafting that high, you have to swing for the fences, and try to draft a HOF-type player. WTF is the point of drafting the 3rd best offensive lineman on the board, when the #1 at whatever position is there?

Isn't this about talent? If it is, then why do we want #3s on this team instead of #1s?

WTF is the point of drafting the 3rd best offensive lineman on the board, when the #1 at whatever position is there?

When your OL is in shambles and you don't have problems at running back is not the time to draft a gadget player. Besides, Bulaga went at #23. They could have traded down and picked up more picks but no.....they absolutely had to draft Spiller.

When your OL is in shambles and you don't have problems at running back is not the time to draft a gadget player. Besides, Bulaga went at #23. They could have traded down and picked up more picks but no.....they absolutely had to draft Spiller.

I agree, if the #3 O lineman still grades out higher than the #1 whatever is there, you take him. But, if a HOF potential LB is there, for example, no way I take an #3 left tackle that isn't instant starting material.

We are drafting very high, our #2 might as well be a #1. We had better draft instant starters, not projects, regardless of position.

Even MaGahee was an awful draft selection. People forget that he had to sit out more than a full season before he could even take the field. This team was far too weak to make a luxury selection, but this is their history, and it continued with Spiller.

I thought Spiller pretty much sat out this year?

...how come every coupla hours I see a former Bill in the PLAYOFFS making HUGE plays and scoring touchdowns?

Greer was an un-drafted free agent.

McGahee was never horrible, just a horrible offensive line. If you look closely though you will see that he isn't the starter.

Lynch was a reach where he was drafted. To date I think that makes 1 big run in his career.

Jim Leonard would be the starting safety for the Jets also.

I don't know what is hard to see about the majority of the guys buffalo has let go that have gone on to play on playoff winning teams. Name 1 that is the star. Maybe Greer? he is pretty good but name someone that is an absolute stud on his team.

Last year's draft has one legit starter--Moats.

I wouldn't say that. he had a couple decent games and a good hit on Favre. Terell Suggs was an outside linbacker/end that was ready to play his rookie year. Merriman was another OLB that was ready to start when he came into the league. They both started on good defenses. I don't think Moats starts on many defenses.