Is anyone else surprised by the lack of interest in Cowher?

So far, there have been seven openings - Denver, Minnesota, Dallas, San Francisco, Oakland, Carolina, and Cleveland - and the only team that has been remotely connected to Cowher is Miami. And if you believe what you read in the press, they weren't willing to fire Jeff Ireland to bring on Cowher's handpicked GM.

I get that Cowher wants to pick the perfect team, but (1) he's not going to find a great quarterback on a team without a coach anyway, (2) this will be his fifth straight year out of the league, and that is a long time, and (3) Mike Tomlin's continued success sure seems to minimize his accomplishments.

Is it possible the league is not as high on him as we were?

Why would Cowher want to go to any of those places - especially Carolina now that Luck's out of the Draft and Claussen is the QB? Doesn't sound like a guaranteed recipe for success to me. Plus, as Simon has said before, he'd better hope he can bring Dick LeBeau with him if he does come out of hiding.

I'm willing to bet it's the uncertainty over the 2011 season. Although it could be the Shanahan effect.

:thumbsup: I think you are right on there...notice, no big names, other than Harbaugh have been hired. Guys like Kubiak, Lewis and Sparano were all kept in place, for another year, or two. It will be much cheaper, in the long run, to fire those guys and pay them one years salary, than bringing in someone like Cowher to do nothing for a year, and pay two years of dead salary to an ex-head coach. Fisher is the only one of the "renewal" guys who would have likely garnered much attention if he were a free-agent. So now Cleveland and Denver are the only openings. It sounds like Denver is leaning the co-ordinater or re-tread rout. And I will not be shocked if the Holmgren is on the sideline for the Browns, at least, for one year. No franchise wants to spend the money this year, given the uncertainty of everything.

ps- the Shanahan situation in Washington looks bad, I realize, but I would give him another year or two before considering it a total failure.

Not just Cowher. Look at all the other "big name" coaches: Billick, Schottenhimer, Martz. Gruden got some looks but Shanny is coming up small in DC.

PTR

Maybe it's just my own bias, but I think there is a difference in the quality of hiring Cowher over the other coaches you listed. None of them had competitive teams for as long as he did. Those guys don't seem to have the same draw as Cowher. I think Gruden might be the closest comparison, but he is only facing his third year out of the league to Cowher's fifth. That, and he is six years younger.

Why would Cowher want to go to any of those places - especially Carolina now that Luck's out of the Draft and Claussen is the QB? Doesn't sound like a guaranteed recipe for success to me. Plus, as Simon has said before, he'd better hope he can bring Dick LeBeau with him if he does come out of hiding.

He has to pick some place sooner or later. Real plum jobs don't open up. You can argue that one of the seven openings this year has a franchise QB in place (Dallas). So if he doesn't get to bring Dick Lebeau, does that mean he's done coaching?

You know, all this speculation about where and when Cowher wants to coach comes from football pundits who need to feed a 24-hour news cycle. Now, I'm not saying their lying, but I don't know how many of them have any actual information, and how many of them are speaking to third and fourth-hand sources.

Anyone remember when Barry Sanders retired? Remember the speculation? Oh, he'll be back, he's too young. Oh, he'll be back, he just wants to play on a winner.

You do have to weigh the possibility that all the speculation is B-S, and Cowher hasn't ever indicated either way, or that he is actually happy just working on Sunday's and spending the rest of his week with his family. I mean, he's got a Super Bowl on a team that was 100% his (unlike the criticisms of, say, Gruden), and might feel like he has nothing to prove.

So far, there have been seven openings - Denver, Minnesota, Dallas, San Francisco, Oakland, Carolina, and Cleveland - and the only team that has been remotely connected to Cowher is Miami. And if you believe what you read in the press, they weren't willing to fire Jeff Ireland to bring on Cowher's handpicked GM.

I'm not surprised at all, I don't think Cowher was very interested in any of the jobs this year:

Denver: Brought in John Elway as part of the management team. Cowher wouldn't want to share the spotlight

Minnesota & Dallas: Was going to keep their interim coaches

Oakland: Would you want to coach for Al Davis? Neither would Bill Cowher

Carolina: Won't pay Cowher's salary

Cleveland & Miami: Stepping in as a distant third in each division. Too much risk and little chance of reward

San Fran: This is the only team that was even a blip on Cowher's radar. But SF had another coach at the top of their list, and got him

I'm willing to bet it's the uncertainty over the 2011 season. Although it could be the Shanahan effect.

That's true Doc. There are also lots of other reasons. Many have already been mentioned in this thread.

Here are a bunch more from the Charlotte Observer article, Rookie Head Coaches Find Success in NFL.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/08/1966262/rookie-head-coaches-find-success.html

Synopsis: Rookie head coaches are much cheaper and don't demand total organizational power and control (a model which for the most part, has not worked).

Also, 10 of the 12 playoff teams are coached by former assistants who were never NFL head coaches before their current job:

Mike Tomlin

Andy Reid

Lovie Smith

Rex Ryan

Jim Caldwell

John Harbaugh

Todd Haley

Sean Payton

Mike Smith

Mike McCarthy

Again (and amazingly) none of these men were NFL head coaches before their current jobs.

It's only the casual fan who is enamored of big name coaching hires.

I get that Cowher wants to pick the perfect team, but (1) he's not going to find a great quarterback on a team without a coach anyway, (2) this will be his fifth straight year out of the league, and that is a long time, and (3) Mike Tomlin's continued success sure seems to minimize his accomplishments.

his wife recently passed and he has 3 girls to raise alone you think he cares about being a coach now no way and kirwin told us all so.

his priorities are his girls.

Wait ... wait .... maybe this board can start whining about not having Cowher and how either he or Shanny are the answers to all of the problems of the Bills.

It is clear to me that other teams and perhaps the Bills have learned that winning a Super Bowl in one city has never been a guarantee that the coach will win one in the next city he goes to.

The lack of interest just makes me laugh at how everyone on the board screamed last winter during our search. I think we got the right guy!

I was sure that Carolina would be interested in him. Maybe the whole lock-out issue is the overriding factor right now.

Bill Cowher was making a good amount of $$ in Pittsburgh and I think it would take at least 7 mill a year to lure him back into the headache of becoming a head coach again, as I understand it the TV contract like he has can be very lucrative and way less stressful. He left Pitt thinking he could get 10 mill a year,and then the economy went into the ceramic convenience,now he will be Lucky to get what he was making at Pitt.

Another thought is he is being very picky about where he would want to coach, he stated before that it took him years to find Big Ben. He wouldn't want to go into a franchise that needs a complete rebuild, he wants to go into a situation where the QB is good and established and all they need is a defensive direction, because like Dick Jauron he is an ex NFL player and knows defense.

I have heard that John Fox is desirable but at a reduced salary, he was making 6-7 mill a year The problem with guys like Cowher and Gruden is they would want top dollar and rightfully so, they both currently have great jobs where they make millions with literally no stress involved, at least not like the of stress that a head coach has to endure. I would equate a head coaches stress at about the equivalent of a general going into battle each week, each win euphoria, each loss is agony....enough losses and you get replaced.

Some guys waiting to get an offer, Steve Mariucci-Brian Billick- Bill Cowher-Jon Gruden

I gotta go back to Marv Levy interviewing candidates to hire as head coach, he interviewed Mike Sherman and then after he stated the guy knocked his socks off with a great interview.... then he hires Dick Jauron, go figure! :doh:

Teams looking-Carolina-Cleveland-Denver-Oakland

It's not a lack of interest in Cowher. His demands are just too high and a little unreasonable. He wants to run the show completely. He want to bring in all of his own people. On the sidelines and in the front office. Most teams either have a GM or want to hire their own, not have Cowher hire one.

It's not a lack of interest in Cowher. His demands are just too high and a little unreasonable. He wants to run the show completely. He want to bring in all of his own people. On the sidelines and in the front office. Most teams either have a GM or want to hire their own, not have Cowher hire one.

This may be true, but it seems contrary to the thought that Cowher wants an established team with a good qb. Most of those teams have a quality front office already and the owner would not want to blow that up. Seems to me he can't can't have it both ways; either blow it up with your own people or move into a quality organization and be part of the team.

This may be true, but it seems contrary to the thought that Cowher wants an established team with a good qb. Most of those teams have a quality front office already and the owner would not want to blow that up. Seems to me he can't can't have it both ways; either blow it up with your own people or move into a quality organization and be part of the team.

Agreed. He can't have it both ways and quite frankly, it's not even possible.

Coaches coach. They belong on the sideline and should just focus on that.

I totally got it! He sent Chan to the Bills so he can find a QB and start building up talent then Cowher will sweep in and win a Superbowl! He is already secretly calling the shots behind the scenes! :thumbsup:

Maybe it has something to do with the three home AFC championships and one Superbowl he lost? When a second year coach can do what he did why pay the money? Cowher didn't build the Steelers nor did he coach their defense. He isn't worth the money. When Raheem Morris can almost get one of the youngest teams in the NFL with a second year QB to the playoffs why pay $10 mil a season?

For the record if I was San Fran I would have hired Gruden instead of Harbaugh. BTW what candidate did San Fran interview to satisfy the Rooney rule? Did firing a black HC count?